What do I need for 'marriage' or 'family visa'?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If it is done by the bank and stamped by them it will be accepted.

Thanks, and with regards to the marriage certificates... I have the original certificates when we registered our marriage over a year ago. Its the one with the red roses outlined with the info in the middle. Also the page with the boxes of our names and id and signatures. Is this ok to take these old forms to them?

A guy above says:

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

I thought I read somewhere that we need to get an 'updated' TOR certificate from them?

thanks

5 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

It needs to be updated. A up to date print out of it can be obtained at any Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht.

5 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

I thought I read somewhere that we need to get an 'updated' TOR certificate from them?

What do you mean. Never heard of a TOR certificate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Thanks, and with regards to the marriage certificates... I have the original certificates when we registered our marriage over a year ago. Its the one with the red roses outlined with the info in the middle. Also the page with the boxes of our names and id and signatures. Is this ok to take these old forms to them?

A guy above says:

thanks

When I changed over my Kor Ror 2 was only 6 weeks old and I was sent to get an update but the IO gave me a letter to give to the Amphoe office and it took the next day to pick it up and return to immigration. I changed over from a retirement to a marriage extension and there are a lot on here that say a person is stupid because there is that much paperwork and mucking around, well, for me that is a load on rubbish because it took me 2 days for the application, the wife's interview, the home visit and the neighbour interviews, the extra trip to the amphoe office and then the return on the allocated date for the stamp, really I do not think it is like a lot say it is. Listen to ubonjoe and forget a lot of the other stuff you hear

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

If one is retired can one apply for a marriage visa..given the amount 40k pm is less onerous than the retirement requirement of 65k  pm.

Yes, you can but they usually encourage you to have a retirement extension as its less paperwork for them. My friend was told he couldn't work with either extension but this isn't true as you can apply for a work permit with a marriage extension but not with a retirement extension.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

If one is retired can one apply for a marriage visa..given the amount 40k pm is less onerous than the retirement requirement of 65k  pm.

Yes. No problem.  Your local office will likely try to emphasise the convenience of a retirement visa.

On 19/04/2018 at 10:59 AM, Phuket Man said:

Extension of stay based on having a Thai Wife.

A rough guide.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

Expect Immigration police to attend at your house to interview neighbours about 2-3 weeks after the application and be prepared to pay petrol money.

Edited by Marley01

I am not going to do the marriage extension, rather I will do the extension based on being relative to a Thai.  Father to Thai son.  My son is in school here and I am the caregiver.  

My name is on the birth certificate.  I only need to have 400k baht in the bank that day, correct?  Also, I could do retirement, but I am not going to exchange 800k baht at the current rate.

What papers are required?

I have the original birth certificate, marriage certificates and his transcript from last year, plus I'll have the receipt for the paid school year beginning May 8 of this year.  What else will I need?  Is there a web page online that details this?  My son has both Thai ID and Thai Passport.

24 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I am not going to do the marriage extension, rather I will do the extension based on being relative to a Thai.  Father to Thai son.  My son is in school here and I am the caregiver.  

My name is on the birth certificate.  I only need to have 400k baht in the bank that day, correct?  Also, I could do retirement, but I am not going to exchange 800k baht at the current rate.

What papers are required?

I have the original birth certificate, marriage certificates and his transcript from last year, plus I'll have the receipt for the paid school year beginning May 8 of this year.  What else will I need?  Is there a web page online that details this?  My son has both Thai ID and Thai Passport.

You would be applying for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

If you are still married immigration may insist you do the extension based upon marriage.

Some offices may want the 400k baht to be in the bank for 2 months to apply for the extension.

What is needed will depend upon the office where you apply for the extension. They will certainly want photos of you and your child in and around the house. Some also want photos at your school.

You will need a copy of your child's house book registry and ID card.

Best to ask at your local office to find out what they require.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would be applying for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

If you are still married immigration may insist you do the extension based upon marriage.

Some offices may want the 400k baht to be in the bank for 2 months to apply for the extension.

What is needed will depend upon the office where you apply for the extension. They will certainly want photos of you and your child in and around the house. Some also want photos at your school.

You will need a copy of your child's house book registry and ID card.

Best to ask at your local office to find out what they require.

At the moment, the wife and I are separated.  That could change.  She will do what's required if I do the marriage extension.  I'm here on an OA which is up mid-July.  I would prefer to do it as the parent of a Thai.  I don't think the requirement for the marriage extension rests on it be a happy marriage.  It's almost a 12-year marriage which is likely to have its ups and downs.  I don't want to exchange Dollars at 31.  I bought gold last year, and it's gone up.  I'll cash some of that in to put in the bank. When not needed, I'll change it back to gold.

I would be using the main immigration at Bangkok.  Isn't there a checklist of items needed?

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

OP here again.  my current extension ends on Jun 3.  I am transferring from 'retirement'  to  'marriage' extension.  What is the last day on which the paperwork must be submitted?

3rd of June but you would be wise to apply before that. Most offices will accept applications 30 days in advance and a few up to 45 days.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

OP here again.  my current extension ends on Jun 3.  I am transferring from 'retirement'  to  'marriage' extension.  What is the last day on which the paperwork must be submitted?

June 3rd is the last day you can do it. A couple of weeks early would be better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

June 3rd is the last day you can do it. A couple of weeks early would be better.

This advice is not based on the written law, is it?  If you go in 30 days early, you only get 335 days extension assuming they give it to you 30 days later.  So you lose a month.  Why does immigration care if you walk in on the day of, or before.  Just in case of a car accident, or getting sick, I wouldn't wait until the very last day.  If I walked into Immigration on my stay until date, on an OA visa, I could also apply for an extension of stay without doing the application.  Is that also correct?  How long could I get on that extension?

29 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

This advice is not based on the written law, is it?  If you go in 30 days early, you only get 335 days extension assuming they give it to you 30 days later.  So you lose a month.  Why does immigration care if you walk in on the day of, or before.  Just in case of a car accident, or getting sick, I wouldn't wait until the very last day.  If I walked into Immigration on my stay until date, on an OA visa, I could also apply for an extension of stay without doing the application.  Is that also correct?  How long could I get on that extension?

Nonsense!  A new extension runs from the expiry date of the old and nothing is lost and correct- an extension can be applied for on the last day 

• 2 weeks later...

Things didn't go as swimmingly as I'd hoped.  It felt tough-  Surat immigration are very particular about photos, and all the paperwork has to be 100% watertight.  My wife also had to write answers for numerous questions, and I had a bit of a grilling.  It took 3 visits to get the application done. Changing from a retirement extension to marriage was a bone of contention.  I have to go back in 2 month's time, and can expect a home visit.  

On 4/18/2018 at 10:54 PM, mommysboy said:

I am married to a Thai and we have a kid.  We married in Bangkok but live down south now. Currently, I am on a 'retirement' visa but I don't want that anymore for various reasons, including business. My current extension lapses on Jun 3.

I'm using popular terms simply because most people do.

I already have a non-imm 'o' which is the vehicle for my current extension of stay.

Can some kind soul point to a link or tell me what paperwork I will need for either the marriage or family extension?

For a US passport holder, I think it is easy to get an extension based on retirement if you have have 800K in any bank in the world. Go to US embassy and get an income affidavit based on your deposit of 800K (assuming you are drawing 65K every month). US embassy does not care how you are getting money (65K a month). Not sure about other embassies. I have already a system set up to transfer $2500 from my US bank to Bangkok bank every month automatically.

Edited by onera1961
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, onera1961 said:

For a US passport holder, I think it is easy to get an extension based on retirement if you have have 800K in any bank in the world. Go to US embassy and get an income affidavit based on your deposit of 800K (assuming you are drawing 65K every month). US embassy does not care how you are getting money (65K a month). Not sure about other embassies. I have already a system set up to transfer $2500 from my US bank to Bangkok bank every month automatically.

You missed the point: I wanted to transfer from retirement to marriage extension.

34 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You missed the point: I wanted to transfer from retirement to marriage extension.

I understand but what I am saying is retirement is easy and less paperwork. You only need one piece of paper from your embassy for retirement. For marriage, lots and lots of paperwork any many posters have mentioned in this forum that immigration does not like it.

5 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I understand but what I am saying is retirement is easy and less paperwork. You only need one piece of paper from your embassy for retirement. For marriage, lots and lots of paperwork any many posters have mentioned in this forum that immigration does not like it.

I had a visit from the immigration officer today, less than a day since I applied.  It was ok- he just took a few photos, asked some questions, checked my passport, and was gone.

Yes, I understand retirement is a lot easier, but it's not what I want.  I'm going to be working in one guise or another, and that's the big no, no with the retirement extension.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 5:58 AM, onera1961 said:

For a US passport holder, I think it is easy to get an extension based on retirement if you have have 800K in any bank in the world. Go to US embassy and get an income affidavit based on your deposit of 800K (assuming you are drawing 65K every month).

For retirement, the rule is - 800K in the bank OR an income-affidavit showing 65K / mo.  If the 65K / mo is being taken from a savings acct or similar, there is no specified min-amount related to this.  No documents are provided to the US Embassy for the income-affidavit, in any case.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I am in the 3rd year of extension now. First year was super easy, second year was a bit more problematic that's why I changed my process:

1. As mentioned here go 1 month before you want to extend your marriage visa to your local immigration and get the papers.  This year they didn't add any papers, but from 1st to 2nd year they had 2-3 more papers to fill-out and sign and acknowledge.    Saves you a lot of trouble I combine it most of the times with a 90 days report.

2. Check that everything is well written and readable.

3. Print only 2 photos per DInA4 page. Do photos in front of the house or condo as well with your wife.  They were quite picky last time. 

4. Don't forget to sign all copies and make copies again from all copies :D    (copies of all docs I do at the immigration office directly, cheap and fast.)

5. The map needs to be hand-written , no Google Maps. 

6. Call your bank before or go there to prepare the letter if you choose the bank account option.

7. On the day of the extension, drive first to the bank, take some money from the atm , get your letter and a fresh bank statement.

7.1 Second stop is the Kor 2 Update on the same day (it's opposite of the immigration so I do it same day)

7.2  Waiting time till you can apply for extension :)

Maybe some of the tips help. My second year extension trip were in the end 3 trips so I learned some lessons. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I have a Bangkok Bank account. How do I get a Bangkok statement? Do they send to my home address?

If you have a bank book you do not get a statement. You can request a statement at the bank or you can print out up to 6 months of activity  using online banking.

Most immigration offices  only want copies of your updated book instead of a statement.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, Expatthailover said:

Are there any other advantages/ disadvantages.

Advantage is that you have the right to work with a marriage extension, although you still need a work permit.

Disadvantage, in the case of divorce or decease of the wife your extension terminates on the day of either.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Disadvantage, in the case of divorce or decease of the wife your extension terminates on the day of either.

It only ends for divorce. It they die it remains valid until it expires.