Britain's Queen Elizabeth backs her son Charles to take on Commonwealth role

webfact

Britain's Queen Elizabeth backs her son Charles to take on Commonwealth role

2018-04-19T100516Z_1_LYNXMPEE3I0RQ_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-POLITICS.JPG

Britain's Queen Elizabeth stands with Prince Charles during the State Opening of Parliament in central London Britain June 21, 2017. REUTERS/Stefan Rousseau/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s Queen Elizabeth said on Thursday she hoped her son and heir Prince Charles would take on leadership of the Commonwealth, answering some who argue the position should be rotated around member states.

“It is my sincere wish that the Commonwealth will continue to offer stability and continuity for future generations and will decide that one day the Prince of Wales should carry on the important work started by my father in 1949,” the queen said at the formal opening of the Commonwealth heads of Government Meeting.

The meeting, taking place in Britain for the first time in 20 years, is seen as a chance to reconnect with former British colonies and revitalize the loose alliance of 53 Commonwealth countries ahead of Brexit.

The Commonwealth evolved out of the British empire in the mid-20th century, and the Queen has been its head since her reign began in 1952.

The question of who will follow Britain’s 91 year-old monarch into the role was raised in the run up to the summit. The leader of Britain’s opposition party suggested on Sunday the position should be rotated around the members.

Prime minister Theresa May also spoke at the opening ceremony and paid glowing tribute to the queen’s “service, dedication and constancy” in the role. May will lobby for Charles to be the queen’s successor when the issue is discussed over the next two days.

Prince Charles, 69, also made an informal pitch for the role in his remarks at the event in Buckingham Palace: “For my part, the Commonwealth has been a fundamental feature of my life for as long as I can remember.”

(Reporting by William James, editing by Estelle Shirbon)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-20

Based on the current government's treatment of the Windrush generation and their descendants, I wonder whether the other commonwealth countries are questioning the value of their place in the commonwealth, when commonality is clearly not on offer. 

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I cannot understand why the Queen backs Charles to be head of the commonwealth.

When Charles is King he becomes head of commonwealth.

Further, a few days ago it was announced that Prince Andrew and his wife to be will take up serious roles in 'the commonwealth'.

A bit confusing. 

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I cannot understand why the Queen backs Charles to be head of the commonwealth.

When Charles is King he becomes head of commonwealth.

Not quite so Colin.

From the BBC News website this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43833029

On Thursday the Queen endorsed Prince Charles as future leader at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) at Buckingham Palace.

She said it was her "sincere wish" that he takes over "one day".

But the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

The leaders are expected to approve the move when they meet at Windsor Castle, but there has been no confirmation on whether there will be an announcement following the meeting.

BBC diplomatic correspondent James Landale said there had been some suggestions that the position should be rotated around member states.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not quite so Colin.

From the BBC News website this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43833029

On Thursday the Queen endorsed Prince Charles as future leader at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) at Buckingham Palace.

She said it was her "sincere wish" that he takes over "one day".

But the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

The leaders are expected to approve the move when they meet at Windsor Castle, but there has been no confirmation on whether there will be an announcement following the meeting.

BBC diplomatic correspondent James Landale said there had been some suggestions that the position should be rotated around member states.

Thanks for that, i always thought the Monarch was head of the commomwealth.

• Like 2

May the Queen continue to rule for many years to come and hopefully the question of who will succeed her will be a less contentious question.

But she really ought get the Queen Mum's golf buggy out of moth balls... 

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thanks for that, i always thought the Monarch was head of the commomwealth.

So did I. Having said that the Commonwealth of Nations (formerly the British Commonwealth) was only founded formally in 1949 when King George Vl was the Monarch. He died in 1952 and the present Queen took over, so there have only been 2 heads in 69 years.

It has been expanding and contracting over the years and would probably be a good job for Prince Charles and would be a chance for his son Prince William to become King without anybody loosing "face", if that is the right term.

He would become King William V if he should choose to take that title but he will have to wait until QE ll dies in harness as it were.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

May the Queen continue to rule for many years to come and hopefully the question of who will succeed her will be a less contentious question.

But she really ought get the Queen Mum's golf buggy out of moth balls... 

Gentle exercise is good for you as you get older, says he at 73, ignoring his own advice.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Gentle exercise is good for you as you get older, says he at 73, ignoring his own advice.

Hubby has already worn out his hips & most of those her age are using zimmer frames.

At least lets think of her and "he who must obey" racing round buck house in mobility scooter... 

• Like 1

What is the use of commonwealth? What benefits member states get? Is it just an ugly reminder to citizens of former colonies and a source of pride to the British?
There ant many Benefits what I can work out I even Googled it yesterday.And I already can't Remember but the other 52 countries can leave anytime they want so it cant be that bad can it?

This is from another website I just looked again

Commonwealth member countries benefit from being part of a mutually supportive community of independent and sovereign states, aided by more than 80 Commonwealth organisations.

The Commonwealth Secretariat, established in 1965, supports Commonwealth member countries to achieve development, democracy and peace. We are a voice for small and vulnerable states and a champion for young people.

We help to strengthen governance, build inclusive institutions and promote justice and human rights. Our work helps to grow economies and boost trade, empower young people, and address threats such as climate change, debt and inequality.

We provide training and technical assistance and support decision-makers to draw up legislation and deliver policies. We deploy experts and observers who offer impartial advice and solutions to national problems. We also provide systems, software and research for managing resources.

At Commonwealth summits, we bring together government leaders whose decisions will have an enduring impact on all citizens. By uniting our member countries in this way, we help to amplify their voices and achieve collective action on global challenges.

Our work supports the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rawairat said:

Only relevant to the English , well past it’s use by date for the rest 

Not so as there are approximately 2.4 billion people in the 53 Commonwealth countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43840710

The Prince of Wales will succeed the Queen as head of the Commonwealth, its leaders have announced.

The Queen had said it was her "sincere wish" that Prince Charles would follow her in the role.

Leaders of the Commonwealth have been discussing the issue at a meeting behind closed doors at Windsor Castle.

The head role is non-hereditary so is not automatically passed on when the Queen dies, with suggestions it might have rotated among the 53 leaders.

'Proud support'

In a statement, the leaders said they "recognise the role of the Queen in championing the Commonwealth and its people".

Edited by billd766
added extra text

13 hours ago, onera1961 said:

What is the use of commonwealth? What benefits member states get? Is it just an ugly reminder to citizens of former colonies and a source of pride to the British?

It may be an old boys club but they are banging on on the door to get in...

12 hours ago, katana said:

I guess trade with commonwealth countries will become more important and necessary after Brexit for the UK.

Depends on the form of Brexit...

Also the Commonwealth is not a trading union.

No one said it's a trading union but commonwealth countries would be more likely to sign a trade deal with the UK eg

"Australia confirms HUGE trade deal will be SIGNED 'the day Brexit ends' "
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/937395/Brexit-News-uk-eu-transition-trade-deal-australia-2021

Australia says yes to post-Brexit free trade agreement with the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-43030034/australia-says-yes-to-post-brexit-free-trade-agreement-with-the-uk

"Australia wants to “build back” its trade with the UK."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-updates-eu-customs-union-uk-leave-trade-policy-australia-high-commissioner-alexander-a8206126.html

etc

No one said it's a trading union but commonwealth countries would be more likely to sign a trade deal with the UK eg

"Australia confirms HUGE trade deal will be SIGNED 'the day Brexit ends' "
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/937395/Brexit-News-uk-eu-transition-trade-deal-australia-2021

Australia says yes to post-Brexit free trade agreement with the UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-43030034/australia-says-yes-to-post-brexit-free-trade-agreement-with-the-uk

"Australia wants to “build back” its trade with the UK."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-updates-eu-customs-union-uk-leave-trade-policy-australia-high-commissioner-alexander-a8206126.html

etc
Well, I hope they do but let's face it it's like loosing £100000 on a horse and trying to make it up on a £1 a spin fruit machine 5 years after you have lost it.

Nothing against Ozzie's of course.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk