Pattaya park patrons fear stray dogs, monkeys

Rimmer

Pattaya park patrons fear stray dogs, monkeys

image.png

PATTAYA:--Tourists and neighbors of wooded areas around Pattaya are calling on authorities to cull the stray dog and monkey population in the face of the current rabies crisis.

Both Big Buddha Mountain and Pratamnak Hill host lush parks with running tracks and exercise areas. However, users said they’re increasingly afraid of the stray dogs and wild monkeys in the area after Chonburi was declared a “red zone” for rabies outbreaks.

An April 10 tour of Khao Phra Yai Park indeed found many dogs living there and begging for food. The park already has issues with vagrants, petty crime and teenagers using drugs. Now park users fear they’ll be bitten by a rabies-infected animal.

Park users there and around the Pattaya viewpoint on Pratamnak Hill want animal-control officers to catch and check dogs and monkeys to keep them safe.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-04-20

1 minute ago, Rimmer said:

Park users there and around the Pattaya viewpoint on Pratamnak Hill want animal-control officers to catch and check dogs and monkeys to keep them safe.

I've seen the dogs,vagrants and teenagers..never seen a monkey up there...they used to ( still have ?)

have a security guard patrol at night..he told me to be very careful  especially at night in the area there where lots of muggings.

hope they round up all the vermin.

I live around there. After 18h00, when the sun goes down and it gets darker, the dogs can get quite aggressive. And they keep on barking until 4h00AM. We're not talking about 4 or 5 soi dogs hanging around but over 100 dogs/puppies roaming the hill, road, view point and running path. Ridiculous!

Another danger risk are the buses speeding down and crawling up Phratamnak road, all day long and until 22h00 or so. That road, especially around the tight turn near the light house, is not made for buses. It is not wide enough to accommodate two buses going in opposite directions. And if you are a Thai or a tourist, walking, jogging, biking or motorbiking around there, it can get quite dangerous for you. I wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up getting crushed by one of those buses in the near future.  Not too sure what the bureaucrats at city all are thinking about by allowing those buses. It used to be a great area for sight seeing, walking around or simply exercising. It is now owned by dogs and the buses that swerve erratically to avoid them.

As for the monkeys, they've been really quiet and discreet! Not a peep out of them!

• Like 1

I used to go cycling/running on the big Buddha hill side a lot and has never seen any monkeys, lots of dogs and cats and guys getting it on after dark yes. The monkey must have come from somewhere, the nearest area with wild monkey is around the silverlake, I don't see how they could have migrated across all the roads and urban area.

A couple of years back there was a big(for Pattaya) news when a monkey was found roaming beach road and was finally caught at soi 13/1,  with the rescue service climbing out of the short time room balcony to catch it. tTe presumption then was that some tourist must have brought it over