Cars In Thailand

tuky

My wife and I just bought a new car, we settled on the Toyota Wish.

We still have our little Honda Civic but with out expanding family we needed something a little bigger. The price isn't too bad, we took it over 4 years at 2.75%.

What do you drive in Thailand and why did you settle on that car?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a newcomer two year ago, I went and bought a Toyota Soluna with ABS brakes. The size was right for my "other half" and with the seat back, easily driveable by this "big farang". I don't drive all that much.

Car has never had a rattle, a repair except for body scrapes, and the dealer services it rarely, but perfectly. Haven't been happier with a vehicle in my long life.

Went for the Toyota reputation. P.S. it was the last model year for that body style, the next one is the Vios, which I don't particulary like "stylewise".

Really enjoyed driving my neighbors Isuzu p/u as it has a high seat, easy to get in and out of for a tall gent. Also like riding high. If I had it to do over again, would probably go for a SUV, what I drove for twenty years back home, but it would have to be a high seat and what they call a "hybrid". Since I only get in and out of the car twice or three times a week, practicallity dictates keeping this car that has performed so well and will continue to do so and no one has tinkered under the hood.

What do you drive in Thailand and why did you settle on that car?

2001 BMW 318... Was looking at a Benz, Volvo, or BMW. BMW wound up being the best of the three- pretty steep depreciation the first couple of years so I could pick it up for a good price, better to drive than the C-class, and better image than a Volvo.

Wife's bought three Isuzu pick-ups for her family. They're reliable, economical (diesel) and practical for a farming community. I normally hire a Honda CRV when I'm in LOS. Wife wants a little red Toyota for herself when we move over permanently but she can't drive yet. I'll get a 4WD something, probably pickup but maybe SUV.

In HK I drive a company car - Merc 320.

Toyota Sport Rider 2.5L

Plenty of space for the family and not too thirsty.

Good upcountry as well.

Costs 1.2 million new,

I got mine second hand, one year old for 785,000,

which I thought was a pretty good bargain.

Edited by astral

1997 toyota rav-4, bought from my sister in law in 1999.

done 150,000kms and still going strong. full time 4wd eats tyres though. the 4wd system has taken us up and down dirt roads and hills that i would think twice about walking up. never any breakdowns. a little gem of a car.

Toyota Hilux 2.5 deisel turbo - loads of carrying space, very good for moving house - can take a 3 piece suite or big wardrode or big TV cabinet without problems. (Have moved 4 times just using my pickup). Was thinking about a 3 litre 4 wheel drive version, but the passenger compartments are extra big at the expense of the load carrying space. The only problem is, it's so flipping long when parking - sticks out in most parking spaces and difficult to find spaces big enough in the average street.

Cost 571,000 Bt + 20,700 Bt extras - liner, rear bumper, insurance, roof rack and tray, front crash bar, alarm system, rear light guards, bonnet chip protector, window sun shields. Costs 1.1 Bt per km in fuel.

Isuzu are currently more popular than Toyota, but I went with the name I knew and also didn't like the amount of smoke that a lot of Isuzus seemed to belch out.

Hey dr. P,

I just sat down with a big box of tissues. LOL :D

Actually the Toyota Hilux at let's say 600,000 = 15,000 US not bad at all.

The Camry at 720,000 = 18,000 US. Where's my tissues? :D

Let's hear somemore prices. I'll cry you a river :o

He Pepe: My soluna loaded was 600,000 Baht bought when the baht was 44 to the dollar or $13,536 including all taxes. Insurance was an additional 15k for the year.

Having just arrived in Thailand, it seemed a very reasonable price to me.

Your in the most competitive car market in the world, how does it compare with your prices. Perhaps a Soluna is not available in your market. It is a four door sedan with ABS brakes, loaded with extras and due to Japanese price controls, unavailabe for anything less than a 3% discount off sticker. It is smaller than a Corolla, probably considered a standard sized car, it is not a compact.

Hey dr. P,

I just sat down with a big box of tissues. LOL :D

Actually the Toyota Hilux at let's say 600,000 = 15,000 US not bad at all.

The Camry at 720,000 = 18,000 US. Where's my tissues? :D

Let's hear somemore prices. I'll cry you a river :o

Here comes a good clean out of your tear ducts Pepe. :D

Hey Pro thai,

Here's one I just came across. Almost half price!

2000 Camry LE...Fabulous! AC, AT, ABS, PS, Gray (offer?) - $11000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: [email protected]

Date: 2004-04-26, 3:19PM PDT

I'm selling my fabulous and beautiful 2000 Toyota Camry! I've been the only owner (non-smoking)...4 door, power steering, air conditioning, ABS brakes, sliding sunroof, automatic driver seat, premium CD player, only 39K (mostly freeway) miles (!)...

It's a beautiful dark gray in color, and has had ALL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE with Beaverton Toyota (Records are available for review - no surprises here!). I get the tires rotated at Les Schwab every 5K miles...this has been my baby!

Clean throughout, detailed yearly. Am selling to get a new Toyota on lease...otherwise, I would hold on to her!

Interested? Email me! - Robin

I don't even own a car and probably never wil :o

Living in the Jomtien / Pattaya area my Suzuki Crystal is just to convenient!

Try going form the end of Jomtien Beach road to North Pattaya on a Saturday evening by car. My partner does this in his Nissan Cefiro in about 50 minutes. I'll do it in less then 20 without driving Thai style!!!

And when it's raining it's the perfect excuse to get one more beer :D

I drive a 4 wheel drive 4 door Mitsubishi Strada 2.8 intercooled turbo (with caution) this is the third one I have had with all the bits and bobs 800,000 baht 3 day delivery because they didn't have the colour I wanted.

In the U.K. these are nearly 19,000 pounds 70 baht = 1 pound work it out for yourself. With any luck you can have one in 3 months there.

Depending on how I drive it the vehicle returns good fuel consumption.

150.000 km guarantee, had it a year done nearly 40,000 km not a bit of bother only one thing to keep up with the guarantee it needs to go in for servicing every 5,000 km I know its cheap and a lot of them are free but you still have to pay for the oil & filters etc.

Would recomend this to anyone as in my opinion the build quality is very good as to other pick ups I have looked at.

There again I am of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it so I will definately have another probably the G wagon or estate car next time.

It's not so much what you drive here as HOW you drive, I regard all other road users as potential killers and never never assume that they will do what you think they will do.

If you do you will probably end up as another statistic.

I have just bought a Isuzu Adventurer, Big I wont get the chance to see who and what I have run over but also economical, (although made in Thailand? :o  Seems good value for money,will have to wait and see.

I drive the Isuzu Adventurer too, mfd by Thai rung, how about yours? Well almost 3 years old and still a trusty vehicle, great for lugging around all my shopgurly stuff and at times shopgurl's entourage! :D Only complaint is an irritating noise coming from the console, asked the dealership to fix it but still can't get to the root of it....

Any probs with this?

I drive a 4 wheel drive 4 door Mitsubishi Strada 2.8 intercooled turbo (with caution) this is the third one I have had with all the bits and bobs 800,000 baht 3 day delivery because they didn't have the colour I wanted.

In the U.K. these are nearly 19,000 pounds 70 baht = 1 pound work it out for yourself. With any luck you can have one in 3 months there.

Depending on how I drive it the vehicle returns good fuel consumption.

150.000 km guarantee, had it a year done nearly 40,000 km not a bit of bother only one thing to keep up with the guarantee it needs to go in for servicing every 5,000 km I know its cheap and a lot of them are free but you still have to pay for the oil & filters etc.

Would recomend this to anyone as in my opinion the build quality is very good as to other pick ups I have looked at.

There again I am of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it so I will definately have another probably the G wagon or estate car next time.

It's not so much what you drive here as HOW you drive, I regard all other road users as potential killers and never never assume that they will do what you think they will do.

If you do you will probably end up as another statistic.

HI

My next vehicle will be the Strada or Grandis pick up, you say that you get good m.p.g (or k.p.l) what do you actually get when driven like a human being. :o

Hey Pepe: What hasn't been mentioned is that second hand cars really hold their resale value due to the quality of the originals and the excellenct and inexpensive maintenance and repair costs here.

Ten year old cars sell easily for half of their original value.

what should be mentioned is that a lot of second hand cars here have not been maintained properly,very few come with a properly stamped dealers service book, (some will come with a faked stamped service book),have had parts replaced that were not suitable for the vehicle and the car that looks so good on the forecourt may have been written off after an accident and then rebuilt by mechanics and welders who are not concerned with the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

if buying second hand it helps to have some knowledge of cars, or a friend who does.

Taxexile is quite right.

That's why I buy new if you look at the prices and the guarantees you get it's better in my view to buy new plus you can knock 'em down a bit for cash

It might seem a bit of a blow at first but in the longrun if you can afford it buy new. and if you keep up the maintenance you keep the resale value up.

As to writing motors off here forget it they don't.

I have seen pick ups and cars about 4 foot long from the result of accidents when they start working on them but they do a reasonably good job of sorting them out.

After they fill them full of bog they look OK but there again you pays your money and you takes your chance.

Hey Pepe: What hasn't been mentioned is that second hand cars really hold their resale value due to the quality of the originals and the excellenct and inexpensive maintenance and repair costs here.

Ten year old cars sell easily for half of their original value.

Excuse me ??? Cars secondhand are bloody expensive , the only reason they do that is because thailand doesn't have a Car registration and checking law like in the rest of the world.

They are driving them untill the seats hit the concrete. I've seen prices like 120.000 bath for a mazda pickup of 28 years old !!!!!

This has nothing to do with excellent maintenance or repair ???

I can buy a 10 year old Volvo 940 in europe for 5000 bath...

It is just because people try to make money on their secondhands untill they fall apart.

You will be driving A deadtrap :o if you buy them.

there is a breakers yard under the flyover arches at the side of khlong toey market (funny how these kinds of places always seem to be under arches of some kind) where they saw up smashed cars, its well stocked with "half cars", benzs,bms,hondas,toyotas,the lot. interiors still in. there is always a pick up or two being loaded up with a half car,on its way to be mated to a distant relative half car on the other side of town.

i suppose such a car would be ok until you had an accident, when the thing would just break in two again.and then the whole process would srart again.

i drive an old toyota mighty x pick up which i bought for 200000bht 2 years ago.

it's only cost me about 20000bht in 2 years for service, air con re-charge etc.

a wolf in sheeps clothing, supra brakes (discs all round) auto box with overdrive, and 2.5l 24v 210bhp 6cyl.

i wanted a stradis but to be honest its still very reliable and practical (apart from fuel consumption).and 200kph + speeds