How Long From Old To New Airport

Jahil

Hello

I have to fly from Europe to Chiang Rai in a couple of months. As I understood the flies between BKK and CR will be moved back to old airport.

How long does it take with a taxi to go from one airport to the other?

thank you for your answers

jm

Hello

I have to fly from Europe to Chiang Rai in a couple of months. As I understood the flies between BKK and CR will be moved back to old airport.

How long does it take with a taxi to go from one airport to the other?

thank you for your answers

jm

About an hour with little traffic. But, I would allow for two.

BUT I would place a small bet that you will be able still to get a flight from Suvarnabhumi since international connections are vital to all the airlines serving Chiang Mai.

Unfortunately our OP want to fly to Chiang Rai, which is not on the list of destinations set to remain at Suvarnabhumi :o

Is is certain that the domestic flights will move to Don Muang, and when is the proposed move scheduled to happen. Any info greatly appreciated. I too am flying out in March, although heading for Issan using Udon Thani airport.

TiT, so nothing is certain. Last reports suggest 6-8 weeks before moves happen, gonna hit right in your window :o

Watch this space!!!

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are scheduled to arrive from Paro (Bhutan) at the new airport on March 30 at 3:30 P.M. We had planned to fly to Chiang Rai the next morning from the new terminal, but all flights but a 13:45 departure have been transferred to the old airport. We had wanted to arrive during the late morning on March 31. We are now scheduled on the 11:55 flight on March 31 from the old airport that will get us there around 13:20.

We see three possibilities: (1) Spend the night at the new airport, then take a cab (or free bus that Thai Airlines is rumored to be providing) in the morning to catch the 11:55 flight; (2) Take the cab/bus upon arrival and spend the night at the old airport and take the 11:55 flight; (3) Try to race over to the old terminal and catch the 18:20 flight, as far as I know the last flight of the day to Chiang Rai. We would then spend the night in Chiang Rai and be there early the next morning.

I think I would prefer (3), but I'm inquiring to see if that is all realistic. How long should it take to clear customs and get our luggage at the new terminal? Is Friday night traffic problematic? Would a taxi be faster than the bus? How long would it realistically take to get through security at the old terminal? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your input.