Don Muang Today

corkscrew

Arriving Don Meuang was always a great part of coming to Thailand, and the journey into BKK, even leaving was good because of the chance to sit and eat your last Thai food and drink Singha :D

A sad / happy place in many ways and it is a bit of history gone, arrgh I'm getting all misty eyed :o

With all the runway damage, loss of safety certificate, poor facilities, corruption scandals, deplaning by bus, poor communication, overstrectched capacity, getting diverted to Utapao for refuelling because of circling in holding pattern too long (WOW thats scary), the list is endless

I believe it is inevitable that they will have to open old DM again

then just watch the stampede back to the good old days :o

and by the way LOS is shooting itself in the foot, they wont have to worry about DM being overstretched

SVP could become a real white elephant (like the Hopewell project - doesnt that look awful, a testimony to greed and corruption) :D

I :o DM!

as I have said before... it is easy to get to, the food is inexpensive (for an airport), the bathrooms always seemed fine for me, you can drive right up to the front, your check in is close, has a 7/11!

Don Muang, I hope you rise again!

it had a unique smell too .

Oh yes... Very special. So many souvenirs.

Anyway guys : it's almost sure now.

Last news from the frontline.

Transport Minister Admiral Theera Haocharoen will Monday convene a crucial meeting to decide whether to transfer some flight services from Suvarnabhumi Airport back to Don Muang Airport.

"We have to admit that repair works on the Suvarnabhumi Airport's taxiways and runway will affect its services," Theera said Sunday.

The repairs were now ongoing but they would be able to solve the problems only on a temporary basis.

According to an informed source at the Transport Ministry, AOT board has already approved the plan to transfer some flight services back to the Don Muang Airport.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30025318

As usual, the decision process is long and painfull with thais... Especially on this issue, with so much "pride" at stake...

I bet that the "some flights" are going to become pretty soon "many flights".... Suva is screwed. The time for them to destroy and redo the 2 runways.

Anyway : do not forget that before the "crack" issue, they were already speaking about reopen DM, to face the increase in air transport.

Edited by cclub75

i really mis the old airport in hkg - but i had the arrival/departure in bkk thing down pat. i miss don muang and loathe that ugly, ill constructed and overpriced monstrosity currently in use.

what a face slap if they are forced to go back to dm eh? what if the airlines say - hey, its not safe and we are not flying in there so its dm or nothing? wouldnt that be grand.

before we get all misty eyed about dm remember what they turned it into....

years ago you could get thai food IN departures cheap. i recall a few years ago seeing a crossiant for get this...b200!

i came to loathe the shops and everyone sitting on the ground despite paying their b500 departure tax.

thailand has really become all about fast buck tourism.