Leaving Thailand without cancelling nearly expired work permit

Currently I'm on a visa extension based on work. My permission to stay and my work permit will expire on May 15.

If I leave Thailand next week (since all my work is done) will immigration ask for any document like a work permit cancellation letter? Or am I good to go?

I will leave via land border, most likely Nong Khai and plan to come back with a tourist visa.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

You need a termination letter from your employer or immigration at the Nong Khai crossing may not allow you to leave the country without it, The date on the letter would have to be on or after the date you leave the country.

Immigration is not interested in the work permit being cancelled.

Thank you. 

Actually I'm afraid my current school won't give me the termination letter. I have  already asked a couple of times for the letter, but they keep putting me off from week to week.

What if I leave on the day my extension expires, will immigration still ask for the termination letter?

Edited by HamburgToBKK

10 minutes ago, HamburgToBKK said:

What if I leave on the day my extension expires, will they still ask for the termination letter?

The may ask for it since you could of stopped working long before that day. They are trying to catch people that have done that.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need a termination letter from your employer or immigration at the Nong Khai crossing may not allow you to leave the country without it, The date on the letter would have to be on or after the date you leave the country.

Just to clarify, thus if you fly out of Thailand before your work permit is cancelled, say a one week, Immigration folk will not give you a hassle?  Thanks  Joe..

8 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Just to clarify, thus if you fly out of Thailand before your work permit is cancelled, say a one week, Immigration folk will not give you a hassle?  Thanks  Joe..

No problem to fly out of the country.

So if immigration at the land crossing wouldn't let me depart (because of the lack of a termination letter) , then I could still fly out to Vientiane (without the need for termination letter) . Did I get that right?

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

1 minute ago, HamburgToBKK said:

So if immigration at the land crossing wouldn't let me depart (because of the lack of a termination letter) , then I could still fly out to Vientiane (without the need for termination letter) . Did I get that right?

You could fly out or use a crossing that does not ask for one.

Only Nong Khai and Mukdahan has asked for the letter as far as I know.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 7:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you use the employer termination letter to cancel your extension in immigration in chaeng wattana (which i believe is the correct way of doing the cancelation rather than leaving without canceling the extension at immigration first) do you still need to have an employer termination letter in the border crossings of nong khai or mukdahan?

Edited by ELLHNAS

7 minutes ago, ELLHNAS said:

If you use the employer termination letter to cancel your extension in immigration in chaeng wattana (which i believe is the correct way of doing the cancelation rather than leaving without canceling the extension at immigration first) do you still need to have an employer termination letter in the border crossings of nong khai or mukdahan?

If the extension has already been canceled a termination letter is not required when leaving the country.