Why Are You In Thailand?

dgoz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good question,just happened while I was travelling all around the globe back then.

Fell in love ,blabla,and by the way I will never leave anyway.No regrets whatsoever.

I have a nice saying"only dead fish swim with the current".

So i just swim against the stream,and how it eventually will turn out, just like that.

Maybe our farang karma,so better we keep things positive and not throw the towel in that easy.

I came to Thailand in 1997 because I met Ajahn Jumnien, a monk from Krabi, who was teaching in California at the time. I have stayed in Thailand because in 2002 I met my wife, Anna, who was working in Siam Commercial Bank in Hua Hin.

Weather UK.

Partly Cloudy

7°C

Feels Like4°C

UV Index: 1 Low

Wind: From the Northwest at 8 mph

Dew Point: 5°C

Humidity: 87%

Visibility: 6 miles

Barometer: 1033.9 mb

:D

Weather Thailand.

Haze

29C

Feels Like: 31C

Barometer: --

Humidity: 58%

Visibility: 5.01 km

Dewpoint: 20°

Wind: SSW 8 kph

Sunrise: 6:43 am

Sunset: 6:15 pm

:o

Edited by Robski

Maybe he's only interested in the replies of those planning on leaving? If so, perhaps he wants to understand why someone would love a place enough to move to it yet hate it enough to leave it.

I think most people who are making serious minded posts on this subject have probably formed similar opinions to myself in that

we came here 10 or more years ago when it was still a laid back fun loving society which genrally welcomed flangs and everyone got along nicely. It was fairly cheap, benign weather and nice ladies.

I believe it started going pear shaped after the great crash, I saw a change in attitude as middle class thais had their cars and condos reposessed, office girls were forced into prostituion to make ends meet (no pun intended) and so on

Then came Mr T - enuf said on that topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93701

Then came the cheap mobile phone. This has realy transformed the young. The ho's can swop all kinds of evil little tricks on how to cheat flangs. Notice how they all seem to have the same patter, word perfect (having graduated from the Loyal school of whores)

Nowadays there is is definite underground hatred, xenophobia (there is a thread on this topic already http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102798

I also note the demise of the civilised flang resident. Not many good old boys left. Tehy fade away for various reasons and are not replaced by new intake

I guess the ones who might have come here have seen the writing (probably in TV.C) on the wall

If I had my time over again I would DEFINITELY NOT become committed to the LOS for my golden years, my lovely darling has turned into a right bitch, but hindesight is a wonderful thing ha ha.

Fact is I am commited to stay here for the remainder, for worse and worse and it doesnt do much for my peace of mind, but then I can empathise with dinosaurs. Its also sad to me that I am unable to improve the understanding of typical thais. they are far more resistent to absorbing foreign information or being instructed on errors. Someone has told them that thais can stand on there own and dont need any help from foreigners (remember tsunami)

In short,I am here now because I am stuck here unless there is a total civil breakdown, thank gawd for 7-11 stores and internet and cheap beer, as for wimin, I'd rather play with a scorpion.

I hope this thread doesnt degenerate into a "If you whinge about the country so much then why dont you f***k off then"

There are some deep rooted reasons why long time flang are upset and critical

You would never have had this sentiment 10-15 years ago. (but then we didnt have all these scumbag flangs here either)

I came for tangible reasons, like getting away from imbecilic little mummyboys that lash out with senseless taunts because they feel inferior around women who can voice educated opinions.

Hope this thread doesn't turn into a slagfest against western men so mods have to step in.

I came on a company posting.

When the expat deal started to be watered down I went elsewhere on a full expat deal posting.

I never regret having gone to Thailand. I never regret having moved on.

Thailand's a great place to be, but I certainly would not give up what I have now to be there, that's what holidays and retirement are for.

I was send here by my company after staying two years in SG.

Now I am in Thailand for two years.

Do I like it?

SG is much better but my company wants me to stay here.

Alex

I feel for you Alex, I'd trade Thailand for Singapore anytime, unfortunately I've never had the occasion :o

Why do 95% of single men come to live in Thailand......easy for the women no questions asked!!!!

Many come for the cheap life food weather etc...but number 1 for the women who ever disagree is lyeing to themselves.

Why do 95% of single men come to live in Thailand......easy for the women no questions asked!!!!

Many come for the cheap life food weather etc...but number 1 for the women who ever disagree is lyeing to themselves.

Please talk for yourself,there are many roads leading to mekka

I came for tangible reasons, like getting away from imbecilic little mummyboys that lash out with senseless taunts because they feel inferior around women who can voice educated opinions.

:o:D:D:D:D

Jet, sweetie,

Did you pick the wrong place to go, or what?

This is where all those mummyboys came! No nasty, opinionated females in LoS!! Well, apart from you & I... :bah::bah:

I think most people who are making serious minded posts on this subject have probably formed similar opinions to myself in that

we came here 10 or more years ago when it was still a laid back fun loving society which genrally welcomed flangs and everyone got along nicely. It was fairly cheap, benign weather and nice ladies.

I believe it started going pear shaped after the great crash, I saw a change in attitude as middle class thais had their cars and condos reposessed, office girls were forced into prostituion to make ends meet (no pun intended) and so on

Then came Mr T - enuf said on that topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93701

Then came the cheap mobile phone. This has realy transformed the young. The ho's can swop all kinds of evil little tricks on how to cheat flangs. Notice how they all seem to have the same patter, word perfect (having graduated from the Loyal school of whores)

Nowadays there is is definite underground hatred, xenophobia (there is a thread on this topic already http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102798

I also note the demise of the civilised flang resident. Not many good old boys left. Tehy fade away for various reasons and are not replaced by new intake

Fact is I am commited to stay here for the remainder, for worse and worse and it doesnt do much for my peace of mind, but then I can empathise with dinosaurs. Its also sad to me that I am unable to improve the understanding of typical thais. they are far more resistent to absorbing foreign information or being instructed on errors. Someone has told them that thais can stand on there own and dont need any help from foreigners (remember tsunami)

I hope this thread doesnt degenerate into a "If you whinge about the country so much then why dont you f***k off then"

There are some deep rooted reasons why long time flang are upset and critical

You would never have had this sentiment 10-15 years ago. (but then we didnt have all these scumbag flangs here either)

spot on after the crash alot of good people couldn't make it and now sometimes i feel like a mohekan(sp)

most of the neighbors I had a decade ago are still on the road but few of them are in los :o

I moved here in 1986 because I wanted to be a part of a foreign culture, and Thailand seemed the best suited because of a favourable atitude towards farangs. I think it still does, after living here for 21 years.

I moved here in 1986 because I wanted to be a part of a foreign culture, and Thailand seemed the best suited because of a favourable atitude towards farangs. I think it still does, after living here for 21 years.

:o:D

Yes, it does. After living here so long, why wouldn't I know?

Yes, it does. After living here so long, why wouldn't I know?

Even prisoners feel at home after 20 years spent in a cell...

:o:D:D:D:D

Jet, sweetie,

Did you pick the wrong place to go, or what?

This is where all those mummyboys came! No nasty, opinionated females in LoS!! Well, apart from you & I... :bah::bah:

I was thinking about going back home but you two have just reminded me why I came here in the first place.

Thanks for saving me the airfare. I owe you a drink.

If you're ever in Soi Buakhoa you can drop into my bar and collect it.

after nearly 15 years of travel, thailand was alwyes merely a pit stop for the real and exotic asia. it felt too modern first time i stepped foot in bkk in 92. as i aged i spent more time lounging and more interested in consorting with women of ill repute. in 2000 i more or less settled in to thailand and left backpacking behind w/ exception of a posting in rural indonesia which was good cash (2003).

thailand had great economies of scale and i could live for about us450-475a month. now with baht where it is those costs have changed dramatically at 34 to the dollar.

im done. its not even th evisa thing - thailand has gone from heaven to hugely poor value for us amerikkkans. of course i blame bush - noit thailand. but it is what it is.

Edited by jinjok