White House doctor refuses to pull out as Trump's nominee for veterans job

webfact

White House doctor refuses to pull out as Trump's nominee for veterans job

By Steve Holland and Susan Cornwell

2018-04-24T152450Z_1_LYNXMPEE3N1C3_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-VETERANS.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump's nominee to be U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson, meets with Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) at his office on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., April 17, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's physician Ronny Jackson will continue as the nominee to lead the Veterans Affairs department after allegations about his conduct stalled his Senate hearing for the job, a White House official said on Tuesday.

Jackson met with Trump after the president left open the possibility during a news conference that the physician would withdraw from the process. Afterward, the White House said there was a feeling the doctor - well liked by administration figures from both parties - was being railroaded.

The controversy erupted after the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs postponed a confirmation hearing for Jackson, which had been set for Wednesday, as it looked into allegations about Jackson.

Montana Senator Jon Tester, the top Democrat on the committee, told NPR that more than 20 military personnel had come forward with concerns about improper distribution of sleeping pills and drinking alcohol on overseas trips, as well as creating a toxic work environment.

"Some of the exact words that were used by the folks who we talked to were: abusive towards staff, very explosive personality, belittles the folks underneath him - staff that he oversaw, screamed towards staff, basically creating an environment where the staff felt that they needed to walk on eggshells when they were around him," Tester told NPR.

The Jackson episode is the latest in a series of White House personnel controversies that have resulted in a higher-than-usual turnover.

Earlier in the day, Trump said he had not heard details about the allegations against Jackson but said it was up to the Navy rear admiral, who has worked as a presidential physician since the George W. Bush administration, about whether to continue as the nominee.

"I don't want to put a man ... who's not a political person ... through a process like this. It's too ugly and too disgusting. So, we'll see what happens," Trump said.

He said he stood behind Jackson though he acknowledged he had an "experience problem."

Jackson's qualifications to lead the sprawling Veterans Affairs department were questioned from the time Trump nominated him in late March.

The agency, which has 350,000 employees and runs 1,700 facilities that serve more than 9 million veterans a year, has long faced criticism for the quality of its care and the bureaucracy that veterans encounter. In total, it oversees healthcare and benefits for about 20 million military veterans.

It has been led by an acting secretary since late March. Trump fired former VA Secretary David Shulkin after concerns about unauthorised travel expenses.

MAKING THE ROUNDS

Even after his hearing was postponed, Jackson had continued to hold meetings with senators on Capitol Hill on Tuesday.

"I can answer the questions. I'm looking forward to rescheduling the hearing and answering everyone's questions," Jackson told reporters after meeting with Republican Senator Jerry Moran.

Moran told reporters Jackson had denied having done anything wrong.

Jackson, 50, is an Iraq war veteran trained in emergency medicine who raised his profile in January in a long and glowing news conference about Trump's health after his first presidential medical exam.

The Senate panel's chairman, Republican Senator Johnny Isakson, would not comment on the allegations against Jackson, other than to say: "I’ve got a job as chairman to make sure he’s vetted, and I’m going to do that."

The Senate’s calendar might not work in Jackson’s favour. There appeared to be little chance the committee would hold a confirmation hearing this week. On Saturday, Congress begins a nine-day recess, which is a long time for any embattled presidential nominee to be in limbo.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton and Susan Cornwell Additional reporting by Richard Cowan, Steve Holland, Amanda Becker, Doina Chiacu, David Alexander; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Chris Reese)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-25

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Some of the exact words that were used by the folks who we talked to were: abusive towards staff, very explosive personality, belittles the folks underneath him - staff that he oversaw, screamed towards staff, basically creating an environment where the staff felt that they needed to walk on eggshells when they were around him," Tester told NPR.

But enough about Trump.  What about Jackson?

Democrats, this proves they will obstruct anything Trump does or people he nominates. This man is held in the highest regard from the last three presidents. Yes even 44, in fact after serving that idiot, he became his personal presidential physician.

23 minutes ago, dcutman said:

Democrats, this proves they will obstruct anything Trump does or people he nominates. This man is held in the highest regard from the last three presidents. Yes even 44, in fact after serving that idiot, he became his personal presidential physician.

Just because he served in one capacity does not make him automatically fit to serve in another.

Its a very sensitive portfolio he has been nominated for.

Seems to me that he is the perfect yes man hence Trump likes him

24 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Just because he served in one capacity does not make him automatically fit to serve in another.

Apparently you missed my point and didnt read or comprehend the article. The man is a decorated Navy rear Admiral, as well as a decorated combat surgeon, serving in Afghanistan, and has served in the last 3 administrations with glowing reviews from each president and there entire administrations.

Is he is qualified for the job, who knows. Thats not the point here. The point is, the the Dems and a couple of their sheeple are accusing this man of something that is either not true, or the hero of the Dem party missed it for 8 years, and thought he was the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

34 minutes ago, dcutman said:

Apparently you missed my point and didnt read or comprehend the article. The man is a decorated Navy rear Admiral, as well as a decorated combat surgeon, serving in Afghanistan, and has served in the last 3 administrations with glowing reviews from each president and there entire administrations.

Is he is qualified for the job, who knows. Thats not the point here. The point is, the the Dems and a couple of their sheeple are accusing this man of something that is either not true, or the hero of the Dem party missed it for 8 years, and thought he was the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

He may be a decorated 2 star but he probably has never been vetted like that before and thus all the crap he’s done over the years have come out.

These allegations may or may not be true but it’s a cabinet position and it’s ridiculous to say it’s not just true because  you hate the democrats.

2 hours ago, dcutman said:

Are you really that ignorant of the vetting process or just so blinded by trumpfatuation you are incapable of making an unbiased decision? Jackson's hearing for the VA position is being postponed by the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs, a Republican-majority committee. His lack of management experience to head the VA, the largest bureaucracy in the US government, is a major question for which there seems little viable argument. Whether he showed poor judgement in the other charges brought against him, some of which were mentioned in the article above, is what the vetting process will decide; and once again, decide by a Republican majority committee.

3 hours ago, dcutman said:

Well obvious what colour you are. 

Stupid pick. Stupid president. Should have been pre-vetted. Just because "trump" likes him personally doesn't mean he's even close to being qualified for such as MASSIVE agency. I think it's about face now for the Doctor. His reputation has been damaged. He's going to put on some kind of fighting act for the time being, but be will find a way to crawl away before too long. 

4 hours ago, dcutman said:

One of the allegations against him is that he over pre-scribed medication.  Judging by Trump's behavior I'd say that allegation is accurate. 

10 hours ago, dcutman said:

I'm guessing not many will miss that in your eyes dt can do no wrong and his every decision is 5 stars. 

11 hours ago, dcutman said:

Nice to see you have such a high opinion of Obama's perspicacity.

12 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

What do you think about Trump's record regarding appointees?

13 hours ago, dcutman said:

So you're saying that being selected by an "idiot" is proof of his competence? With supporters like you, Jackson doesn't need any detractors.

The Admiral says he's ready to answer questions.  Let the committee Democrats ask the questions and let him answer.  Why delay the hearings.  Certain members surely want more time to dig up more dirt.  Seems like they have done that already so let the man answer to it. I personally can't see a military doctor over prescribing medicine.  Would like to know where those allegations came from.  The allegations about him from subordinates, well I would take that with a grain of salt.  Amazing how posters are ready to condemn the man and know nothing about him.  I say watch the hearings and then decide whether he is fit or not for the position.

1 hour ago, Trouble said:

The Admiral says he's ready to answer questions.  Let the committee Democrats ask the questions and let him answer.  Why delay the hearings.  Certain members surely want more time to dig up more dirt.  Seems like they have done that already so let the man answer to it. I personally can't see a military doctor over prescribing medicine.  Would like to know where those allegations came from.  The allegations about him from subordinates, well I would take that with a grain of salt.  Amazing how posters are ready to condemn the man and know nothing about him.  I say watch the hearings and then decide whether he is fit or not for the position.

But the praise for him you would swallow salt-free?

Are these the subordinates you're referring to?

"A watchdog report ordered in 2012 by Dr. Ronny Jackson — President Donald Trump’s nominee to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs — found that he and a rival physician exhibited “unprofessional behaviors” as they engaged in a power struggle over the White House medical unit.

The report, reviewed Tuesday by The Associated Press, suggested the White House consider replacing Jackson or Dr. Jeffrey Kuhlman — or both. Kuhlman was the physician to President Barack Obama at the time.

The six-page report by the Navy’s Medical Inspector General found a lack of trust in the leadership and low morale among staff members, who described the working environment as “being caught between parents going through a bitter divorce.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/lack-of-trust-ig-report-suggested-wh-replace-dr-ronny-jackson-in-2012

17 hours ago, dcutman said:

It is NOTHING to do with "Democrats". The Republican Chairman of the Republican led VA Committee has put the breaks on, - nobody else!

16 hours ago, dcutman said:

That is simply nether true or factual. The people accusing the man are other WH staffers and Military personnel. It is not a Democrat that has said the Doc was Drunk and banging on her door when they were on a deployed task is it? How do you spin that? The complaints have been made by military personnel that have worked with him.

2 hours ago, Trouble said:

Yet you are ready to condemn "Democrat Committee members" for raking up the dirt when it wasn't them at all. The VA Committee with a Republican Chairman and a Republican Majority have "raked the dirt up" as they are doing the job that the White House administration should have done - and that is vet him for suitability for the job. The Republican Chairman has put the delay on as he "wants to find out more"  pertaining to complaints from staffers and military personnel. And why should allegations by subordinates be taken with a grain of salt? How shocking.

Why are you so bothered when Donald Trump threw him under the bus yesterday anyway?  DJT knows he screwed up and the guy is not up to the job, so he says "well why would he want the job, I wouldn't want it" !!! The President was not even standing by HIS man. Trump says why does the Admiral want to go through this "disgraceful process"? That disgraceful process is called vetting and confirmation and Trump failed to do his part when he woke up early and announced on Twitter Jackson was the next man for the job - the first time the post holder and the incumbent knew about it ! Now THAT is disgusting. The Admiral was at the top of his game, he would have got his 3 star for sure and a retirement on a 100% pension and Trump has totally frakked his life up. He is not up to the VA Secretary job and that is no insult or failure. He is a nice guy that did not deserve this and if Trump would have displayed even an ounce of responsibility non of this would have happened. So take your fake blame elsewhere.

23 hours ago, dcutman said:

Damned Democrats!

Republican support for Jackson collapses

GOP support for the Veterans Affairs nominee has cratered in the face of allegations of misconduct as White House physician. Jackson already faced serious doubts over his lack of management experience. At this point, it would take a miraculous comeback by Jackson to survive at least two more weeks of scrutiny and growing discomfort among Republican senators over his nomination.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/25/jackson-senate-republicans-trump-553693

White House Withdraws Jackson Nomination for V.A. Chief Amid Criticism

The White House withdrew the nomination of Dr. Ronny L. Jackson, the White House physician, to lead the Veterans Affairs Department on Thursday after lawmakers went public with a torrent of accusations leveled against him by nearly two dozen current and former colleagues from the White House medical staff.

In a statement released Thursday morning, Dr. Jackson announced that he was withdrawing his name for consideration to be the secretary of Veteran Affairs.

“Unfortunately, because of how Washington works, these false allegations have become a distraction for this president and the important issue we must be addressing — how we give the best care to our nation’s heroes,” Dr. Jackson said in a statement provided by the White House press office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/politics/ronny-jackson-nomination-withdrawn.html

33 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

White House Withdraws Jackson Nomination for V.A. Chief Amid Criticism

The White House withdrew the nomination of Dr. Ronny L. Jackson, the White House physician, to lead the Veterans Affairs Department on Thursday after lawmakers went public with a torrent of accusations leveled against him by nearly two dozen current and former colleagues from the White House medical staff.

In a statement released Thursday morning, Dr. Jackson announced that he was withdrawing his name for consideration to be the secretary of Veteran Affairs.

“Unfortunately, because of how Washington works, these false allegations have become a distraction for this president and the important issue we must be addressing — how we give the best care to our nation’s heroes,” Dr. Jackson said in a statement provided by the White House press office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/politics/ronny-jackson-nomination-withdrawn.html

I guess the good doctor knows how to "pull out".

It is all a matter of timing.

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I just can't help thinking he was told to say that, and it is a statement that could come back to haunt him. Too many people making the same accusations. It's a shame, he could have retired soon with honours and now Trump has destroyed yet another man who gave his life to serving the country.

I remember many many years ago in my interview to be accepted as a pilot in the Air Force, I felt I had to admit to the less savoury things I had got up to in my (at that stage) very short life, and the old and bold Officer behind the desk said "thank you for telling me that but don't worry son, the Battle of Britain wasn't won by angels"! It stuck with me from then on. In the military (and this Doc is no exception) we perhaps get up to things that would blow the mind of many civilians but it is sort of accepted as a work hard play hard culture. This Doc has done just that, and was not the man to run a 350 000 strong 'company' with a 200 B budget (only 30% of which is to do with medical matters). At the end of a great career and service he has been trodden on like a cigarette butt flicked off the finger. Shame.......sad......bad move Trump.

Archived