Military pledges firm backing for PM Prayut

webfact

Post against forum rules has been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

7 hours ago, TKDfella said:

And I have been saying a while...it won't happen...mass demonstrations etc. that is. The government have the guns and...civil war. I don't think so.Why? here's an example; one family I know have four sons, two in the military and two in college...won't go into long detail...but the son's in military said they would follow orders no matter what. It made me wonder just how many families here are in a similar situation. And those in college may have to do a 1 or 2 year after college, so I've been told by the father. The PM has tasted power and wants to keep it and unless there is an opposition just as strong as the military backing then it might stay that way. Philosophically, most of us know that freedom is something like a 'relative illusion' (big brother, new laws for terrorism etc) in any country and while Thais are retain what they have at present (socially speaking) they believe they are still free.

Image result for relative illusion

A valid point but I'm not sure I agree. All (word I cannot say) have the guns etc. but history has proven that no matter how many guns you have, and no matter how brutal and ruthless your security apparatus is, when people have had enough, outrage trumps fear. Tunisia, Syria and Egypt are all recent examples of this. Admittedly, with regards to the latter, things have not turned out well but this is unfinished business. And as for the two sons saying they would follow orders no matter what, it's easy to say that, but a very different thing when you're ordered to open fire on your own countrymen. A significant portion of the armed resistance in Syria was made up of regime military defectors who refused to shoot at unarmed protestors, many of them women and children. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

He has effectively made the only available option violence. He knows that. That's why he bought the new tanks and armoured vehicles. And that's why they're parked outside Bangkok. Never could work out the reason for the Chinese sub though. I don't think he will lose the power of Article 44. It will just be replaced by the same thing with a different name. My prediction is that once he sails into the country's leadership after the "election", he will be a lot less restrained than he his now. The military is now there at his disposal. It's over. There's not even any point in having an election, it's just a bit of window dressing that he thinks might but him some time with the international community. But like pretty much every (word we cannot say) in history, he and his coterie will inevitably eventually overplay their hand. Thailand can only sit back and wait for that Tunisia moment. 

Welcome to the lead "Peleton".

Edited by Enoon

How can you possibly know there are 60 million happy Thais? I know several staunch yellows who are all but happy about the bunch of clowns currently running the country..

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

My GF runs a team of 30 staff here in bangkok and I asked her what they think and the answer was "they don't think anything.. No problems"

Where is the revolution? And what exactly would they lay their lives down for?

Over to you?

Ps no way they are going to die for a few face book fools.

Go for it, you can keep it in point from if like [emoji16]

12 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

How can you possibly know there are 60 million happy Thais? I know several staunch yellows who are all but happy about the bunch of clowns currently running the country..

Apparently he's roamed the land interviewing every man.woman and child in the country. Or maybe he just spoke to the village drunk who shrugged his shoulders and muttered something about needing more some more whiskey and said "Prayuth number one!" before he puked and fell over. 

Edited by stephen tracy
  • Haha 2

Over to you?

Go for it, you can keep it in point from if like [emoji16]
Revolution? How can someone be so out of touch with the people that live in this country? You quite obviously have no clue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Over to you?

Go for it, you can keep it in point from if like emoji16.png

I'm sure El-Abdine, Assad and Mubarak would now disagree with you. You do realise that Facebook and Twitter were the prime mediums for mobilizing opposition and civil unrest against again all of the above? 

• Like 1

I'm sure El-Abdine, Assad and Mubarak would now disagree with you. You do realise that Facebook and Twitter were the prime mediums for mobilizing opposition and civil unrest against again all of the above? 
They are but there have been protests here recently and by students. What happened? Oh well you know.. They weren't shot and the 60 million refused to back them

But my question remains unanswered.

Why would the Thais lay down their lives?

Give me 10 good reasons and I will reconsider my position.

11 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Why would the Thais lay down their lives?

Only one reason needed:

Because the old "Thailand" is gone.

That was the only reason the bloodshed was not widespread before.

• Thanks 1

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-accuses-government-trying-block-financial-support-parties/

The government has been trying to block political parties from getting financial support from their financial sponsors, said Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday (April 27).

“I confirm that there are talks about an attempt by the government to prevent financial supporters to fund political parties.  Someone in the government told me about this,” Mr Abhisit told the media.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-accuses-government-trying-block-financial-support-parties/

The government has been trying to block political parties from getting financial support from their financial sponsors, said Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday (April 27).

“I confirm that there are talks about an attempt by the government to prevent financial supporters to fund political parties.  Someone in the government told me about this,” Mr Abhisit told the media.

That is a strange thing for Abhisit to say, seeing as he and Suthep and the generals are all bosom buddies.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

A valid point but I'm not sure I agree. All (word I cannot say) have the guns etc. but history has proven that no matter how many guns you have, and no matter how brutal and ruthless your security apparatus is, when people have had enough, outrage trumps fear. Tunisia, Syria and Egypt are all recent examples of this. Admittedly, with regards to the latter, things have not turned out well but this is unfinished business. And as for the two sons saying they would follow orders no matter what, it's easy to say that, but a very different thing when you're ordered to open fire on your own countrymen. A significant portion of the armed resistance in Syria was made up of regime military defectors who refused to shoot at unarmed protestors, many of them women and children. 

Yes I do understand what you are saying and like you have said, agree with you some extent. Your point about '...open fire on your own countrymen...' was precisely in my 'hint' but I was being more specific, intimating one's own family. And of course you're right about history too...but...history is also replete with the swinging of political system from one way to another. Don't misunderstand me, I am not (and don't want to be) anywhere near an expert on political systems but it is generally thought that the Sumerian civilization made the mold for our western political ideas passed down from there. The Greeks, Romans, Spartans etc. all had the struggles for power and as far as my opinion goes, the only difference between then and now is that they went to a battlefield and sorted it out whereas today it is far less open. Your examples of the middle eastern countries is a valid one but I think Thailand's history has been less chaotic (in comparison) and therefore the temperament is not the same. Indeed, the short conflict with Japan which (according to what I've read) soon resulted in Thailand helping Japan (and issuing a declaration of war to the USA and UK) makes me wonder if there would be a determined effort to remove the present regime. Thanks for the chat anyway.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

My GF runs a team of 30 staff here in bangkok and I asked her what they think and the answer was "they don't think anything.. No problems"

Over to you?

Go for it, you can keep it in point from if like emoji16.png

Thailand according to "my girlfriend". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

To those who do not believe, look at the last Burmese election.

The people are smarter than you think...

If the people are smarter than mud, then they're smarter than I think they are.

re; the OP:   sample conversation in a Thai military barracks:

General Somchai (addressing a group of soldiers):

"Men, who here does not support my friend General Prayut as PM for life?"

no one speaks up.

"I take that as an endorsement of the good general. Is that right?"

Soldiers in unison, "Yes sir!"

"Ok, I'm going to call Prayut and tell him he has 100% support in this barracks. Dismissed."

Look at you guys, the same handful relentlessly hammering away at the Junta the last few years ..S.tracy, baboon, and the other 3 names escape me.

What have you achieved? where are the hundreds of expats backing you on TV? All I see is back slapping with intellectual conversation like " yeah the Pm is an idiot"

Im not going to sugar coat this. You guys have failed miserably in in gathering support. Why? the same reasons the Thais are not uprising.

Its surreal to watch a handful of guys who think they are representing both expats and the thai people and actually REALLY believe it LMAO. You cant make this stuff up!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Look at you guys, the same handful relentlessly hammering away at the Junta the last few years ..S.tracy, baboon, and the other 3 names escape me.

What have you achieved? where are the hundreds of expats backing you on TV? All I see is back slapping with intellectual conversation like " yeah the Pm is an idiot"

Im not going to sugar coat this. You guys have failed miserably in in gathering support. Why? the same reasons the Thais are not uprising.

Its surreal to watch a handful of guys who think they are representing both expats and the thai people and actually REALLY believe it LMAO. You cant make this stuff up!

You seem to do a good line in making things up, let's be honest here......

I represent no-one but myself. Some people - the cool ones - agree with me and others don't. Who says it has to be "achieving" anything?

Edit: Please do not forget to include Eligius, JAG and Eric Loh on your list of infamy. They would be most upset. Cheers!

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Face facts. The military will always be the tie-breaker in Thai politics. It is simply a waste of time to go back to representative pseudo-Democracy. It is always subject to the whims of the Generals. Junta rule seems to work about as well as anything else. Most expats notice no difference in their day to day lives. Why do western countries CARE about Thailand's political business??

19 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

The truth is he has threatened all the resistance, not allowing meetings more than 5 people that is, with threats of jail, meanwhile making sure he cannot be touched with his total amnesty using art.44 whenever he feels like it and so on, Thailand does not deserve this, and how they will get out of this and return to some sort of democracy I've no idea, other than bloodshed and more take overs, time will tell! 

You know this, I know this, many who post on this site know this...but do the Thais (in large enough numbers) know this or are they just sheep being led to slaughter? 

• Like 2