Morning after pill’s effect on timing of next period?

silver sea

Last night, about 9.30, during sex, the condom came off inside my bed partner, just before I ejaculated. After pulling the condom out of herself, she went into the bathroom and used the spray gun to clean herself out.

I got dressed and went out. I found a pharmacy that was still open and bought the morning after pill. 

She took the first pill around 9.55 pm last night. She took the second one at 10.07 this morning.

Her last period started on 13th April and finished on 15th. She told me that her next period should start on, or around, 14th May, but it is always difficult to predict the exact day. 

It seems, therefore, that intercourse took place 15 days after her last period first started (13th), and so is likely to have occurred during her time of ovulation.

I am a bit confused about the timing of her next period, hence this post. 

The young lady in the pharmacy said that the pills will make the next period start in 3-4 days i.e. next Tuesday or Wednesday. That was my understanding too. 

Looking on the internet though, I have found conflicting information. This suggests it depends on which days the pills are taken during the menstrual cycle: http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/ecmenses.html

What is your opinion please?

The pack which the pharmacy sold me was Norpak (see photo below) and cost 69 baht. The information sheet inside the box was in Thai only. 

Thank you for your help.

21359B13-EF7F-48BF-99AB-E46277C4968A.jpeg.605050f06e0a494d875e40cc8bbbefb8.jpeg

It does not "make the next period start in 3-4 days". However the timing of the next period can be earlier or later than usual, and in a minority of women there is some spotting (light bleeding) after taking the pills and before the actual period.

I assume your concern is to be detect if she is pregnant. I would say that if the next period is delayed by  over a week, take a pregnancy test. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your quick reply. Much appreciated ?

Yes you are right. My concern is about detecting if she is pregnant.

In the past, I have seen reference, in old ThaiVisa posts, to Madonna. I saw boxes of Madonna in the pharmacy, but I was given Norpak instead. I assume Norpak is just as effective.

I admit that I am a bit anxious as it is now all out of my control. I wanted to make sure that there is nothing more I can do before it is too late, hence my post to you. I guess she and I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Madonna and Norpak are identical in contents, just different brands.

You have done what you can and the meds were taken promptly which reduces risk of pregnancy by at least 90%.

Try to relax for now. If 3 weeks go by and no period (disregard any minor spotting in determining this), get a pregnancy test.

Thanks Sheryl once again for your advice.

There is one other point that has just occurred to me. Last night, I was lucky. Most pharmacies seem to shut around 10 pm, I was just in time.

I am a bit worried now that a similar thing might happen again at say 2 am, when all the pharmacies are shut, or when I am out in the middle of nowhere and I don’t have any transport. I know you can take it up to 72 hours later, but the longer you wait the less effective the pills.

My question to you therefore is this, if I were to buy a box of Madonna or Norpak to keep in my medicine box, how long can the pills be stored for safely? Is there an expiry date please?

It is a good idea to keep a box or two on hand.

The expiration date will appear on the box and you can check this before buying. try to buy from a pharmacy with air conditioning.

Store where it will nto eb exposed to extreme heat. Personally I keep all meds in the produce compartment of my refrigerator.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 2:32 PM, silver sea said:

I am a bit worried now that a similar thing might happen again at say 2 am, when all the pharmacies are shut, or when I am out in the middle of nowhere and I don’t have any transport. I know you can take it up to 72 hours later, but the longer you wait the less effective the pills.

It's called the morning after pill because you can wait until the morning after to take it.

No rush!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

It's called the morning after pill because you can wait until the morning after to take it.

No rush!

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Self control my son, self control.

Thanks for your comments.

Athough it is called “pill” there are in fact two pills. She takes the second one 10 hours after the first. It will not work if she takes only the first one.

In my particular case, if I had waited until morning, say 9.30 am, then 12 hours would have passed. She would then have had to wait another 10 hours before taking the second one. So nearly 24 hours would have passed.

Yes it is effective for upto 72 hours after sex, but it is not 100% effective; nothing is. In my view, I would prefer to pull out a box from my meds and get her to take the first one straightaway, rather than just lying there in bed watching tv or flicking through the internet, because there’s no hurry, as it can wait until morning.

The sooner she takes it, the sooner she can take the second one 10 hours later. At least then I know I have done everything I can in what could be life changing circumstances.

A secondary reason, in my experience, is that the lady appreciates your prompt action. It shows you care. One of those rare occasions, where as a ‘mere male’ I knew somrthing about ‘female matters’ ; indeed I knew more than she did ?

Indeed, the next morning, she was up for sex again. I have to admit I wasn’t as I didn’t trust the remaining condoms, as they were all the same as the first one I had used. I wasn’t taking any more chances with them, so she took care of me in other ways; again, she appreciated my prompt efforts at the pharmacy the night before.

I am back in my home country right now. She has just text me on LINEthat she has just finished her period, so everything ok ??