How to cure a pump surge, stopping and starting.

up2you2

Well I am sure this must be pretty obvious to most of you, if not all, so please excuse me for detailing perhaps the obvious, to those that neither have the experience or knowledge in trying cure such a fault.

This happened in my previous post, but regrettable nobody came forth in trying to resolve it.

Now with my pool filled to the brim, I primed my pump then turned it on.
It worked but it could not draw any water.
So I then went to open my Astral salt tablet chlorinator, with huge gushes of water coming out.
When finished I re-performed the same process.
Still now no result, but again a lot of water spurting out of the salt chorinator when opened.
Kept on doing this until no more water was spurting out.
Still no result,
Then opened the vacuum pump inlet on the pool wall, closed the valve of the water coming from the filter skimming basket, opened the outlet valve to the pool, then tried again - no result.
Re-opened the salt chorinator and once again was the release of a huge air pocket.
Kept on doing this process, until all the air in the whole system had now been discharged.
Took quite a while, but then finally at least my vacuum facility was working.
Closed everything, re-opened up the system to filter, and now to that was also working.

Great that you got it all primed up and working.

The fact that it was so much hassle getting the air out suggests a less than optimal design.

If it goes pear shaped again look at your non-return valve(s) a slight leak can cause all sorts of hassle.

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

So it's all working?  It just needed the airlock bled out?

Correct, all present and correct now.
Yes just an air block was prohibiting the pump from working.

Yes a bit of a challenge, started last evening, but the mosquitoes made me retreat.
Also even after you tighten up the filter basket lid, after it has been on a few times, I've noticed that you can still tighten it a little bit more.
The Astral chlorinator lid also needed a new "O" ring, as when the pump did finally work, water was strewn all over the floor.

Yes I am sure my configuration leaves much to be desired, but at least it's above ground.
My next door neighbour who barely visits, his underground pump was submerged on at three occasions.

15 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Correct, all present and correct now.
Yes just an air block was prohibiting the pump from working.

Yes a bit of a challenge, started last evening, but the mosquitoes made me retreat.
Also even after you tighten up the filter basket lid, after it has been on a few times, I've noticed that you can still tighten it a little bit more.
The Astral chlorinator lid also needed a new "O" ring, as when the pump did finally work, water was strewn all over the floor.

Yes I am sure my configuration leaves much to be desired, but at least it's above ground.
My next door neighbour who barely visits, his underground pump was submerged on at three occasions.

Careful doing the lid up too tight, they get stuck and break when you're trying to undo them

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Careful doing the lid up too tight, they get stuck and break when you're trying to undo them

Indeed, there's no need to whange up an O ring, just enough so it doesn't leak. Too much oomph and you damage the ring and it will never seal.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, there's no need to whange up an O ring, just enough so it doesn't leak. Too much oomph and you damage the ring and it will never seal.

It was on the Astral salt chlorinator that the "O" perished.
They don't last long, and believe me after a while you really do have tighten them up.
Thankfully the Thai replacement ones are relatively cheap instead of the OEM Astral versions.
On the Astral pump itself no problem with its "O" ring.

1 minute ago, up2you2 said:

It was on the Astral salt chlorinator that the "O" perished.

Assuming it's a standard size you should be able to get a replacement in a more resiliant material, have a look on aliExpress.com

Archived