Importing a dog

11 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree, we brought our two Jack Russells which we had had from two months old from Australia when we moved here.

Sure it cost money, a lot more than it cost us to fly here but if you care for your animals you do not entrust them to others however well meaning they may be

Sounds like we might have used the same company excellent and very professional.

Good to hear. Not sure if allowed to mention company name but its about pets flying in jets.

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Good to hear. Not sure if allowed to mention company name but its about pets flying in jets.

A few years ago now but sounds like the one as they arranged for the vet to visit our home to carry out a vaccination that wasn’t usually given in Aus or the vaccination had to be certified by someone specially authorized.

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree, we brought our two Jack Russells which we had had from two months old from Australia when we moved here.

Sure it cost money, a lot more than it cost us to fly here but if you care for your animals you do not entrust them to others however well meaning they may be

Sounds like we might have used the same company excellent and very professional.

if they are that good,i have a few million so they can bring my boy from heaven.:smile::smile::smile:

• Like 1

Well, thanks a lot for all the advice. My main question was not whether I should bring my dog or not but if it was possible to import an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier. It appears that it isn't straight-forward and money will probably have to be handed over to be in with a shout. I would prefer to have my dog accompany on the same flight as excess baggage but may have to use a company if they can guarantee the safe arrival and solve the customs issues. It won't be happening until November/ December so I have time to do some groundwork. 

Regarding the discussion, whether it is correct to bring your dog to Thailand there are many opposing thoughts from all contributors to this post. I will be living in Thailand permanently, speak the language fluently having spent over 20 years in both Thailand and Laos working in roles as diverse as a filmmaker on a hydropower project to managing a department of a sugar company. And of course, months spent doing nowt and travelling around. So I am not behind the door and know the score.

My decision is that I will bring my dog if it is possible. he will have all his jabs and live in a comfortable house with enclosed garden. Putting up with a 12-hour flight will be well worth it to him to stay with the family he loves. If it isn't possible then three options remain.

1. Stay at home in cold rainy Uk with him

2. rehome him with a friend or family member

3. move to a country in the far east such as The Philippines, Myanmar etc that will accept him

As a dog-lover putting him to sleep is obviously out of the question.

Thank you ever so much and any further advice will be welcome such as companies from the Uk I could use or agents in Thailand

Syd

28 minutes ago, Syd and Kyd said:

Well, thanks a lot for all the advice. My main question was not whether I should bring my dog or not but if it was possible to import an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier. It appears that it isn't straight-forward and money will probably have to be handed over to be in with a shout. I would prefer to have my dog accompany on the same flight as excess baggage but may have to use a company if they can guarantee the safe arrival and solve the customs issues. It won't be happening until November/ December so I have time to do some groundwork. 

Regarding the discussion, whether it is correct to bring your dog to Thailand there are many opposing thoughts from all contributors to this post. I will be living in Thailand permanently, speak the language fluently having spent over 20 years in both Thailand and Laos working in roles as diverse as a filmmaker on a hydropower project to managing a department of a sugar company. And of course, months spent doing nowt and travelling around. So I am not behind the door and know the score.

My decision is that I will bring my dog if it is possible. he will have all his jabs and live in a comfortable house with enclosed garden. Putting up with a 12-hour flight will be well worth it to him to stay with the family he loves. If it isn't possible then three options remain.

1. Stay at home in cold rainy Uk with him

2. rehome him with a friend or family member

3. move to a country in the far east such as The Philippines, Myanmar etc that will accept him

As a dog-lover putting him to sleep is obviously out of the question.

Thank you ever so much and any further advice will be welcome such as companies from the Uk I could use or agents in Thailand

Syd

so you have given me what I wanted to HEAR. your beloved COMES WITH YOU.question and answer.FINAL.

meatboy love me loved my dog.

Cheers for that Meatboy but the question wasn't whether or not my beloved dog came with me or not. Other contributors raised that point; not me. Therefore I have not given you an answer to anything. If I hadn't spent so many years in that part of the world then, of course, I would be paying more attention to the comments on whether bringing a dog to Thailand was the right thing to do or not. However, I have many friends who have taken their dogs with them and their beloved pets are thriving and very healthy. Of course, there are heartbreaking tragedies where the dog doesn't do well and finds it difficult adjusting to the humid climate or falls sick with some tropical disease and my heart goes out to the owners. 

In life, we all have difficult decisions to make and must weigh up the pros and cons. In my opinion, the correct choice would be to take my dog with me for BOTH our sakes. Of course, I would ensure that he had all the correct jabs and expert veterinarian care and live a loving life in a safe house with the family he adores. Just imagine the alternative; he is a rescue dog and suddenly to be abandoned by his adopted family who he loves and trusts would be confusing and absolutely heartbreaking. I respect you for your views and your concern regarding the welfare of pets that folk bring to Thailand but as I have already stated my mind has already been made up and I have made my decision based on the love for my dog and what I believe would be in HIS best interests. Thanks once again for your input even though it had absolutely nothing to do with my question and keep smiling in the land of smiles.  Regards Syd

If your Staffy was / is used to running in field and across open land, then dont bring it here.

You will not be able to let you dog run anywhere for the fear of Ticks and Lice that are rampant in the grass of much Agri land, and to keep him locked up in a 68 sq Wah properties garden will stress the creature.

You seriously need to consider the type of property that the dog will be inhabiting.

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

If your Staffy was / is used to running in field and across open land, then dont bring it hereYou will not be able to let you dog run anywhere for the fear of Ticks and Lice that are rampant in the grass of much Agri land, and to keep him locked up in a 68 sq Wah properties garden will stress the creature.

You seriously need to consider the type of property that the dog will be inhabiting.

I hope he takes note of your advice,but the warnings I gave him went unheard.i didn't know he was going to live on a total of 68 SQ.WAH,we had 173sq.wah and our boy used to frighten me,he used to like galloping around the house.

me being a greyhound man for 20yrs.any dog galloping in a short space can be prone to injuries. needs NO OBSTACLES.

Thanks for your response Cake Boy and I am most certainly bringing him with me if it is possible. And I will take into account all the advice that has been given. Cheers for the tip re ticks and lice. I still have to make the final decision on where we will relocate to but my dog will not be couped up in a small house and garden. It is highly likely we will be living on an island in the south such as Ko Lanta so he will have walks on the beach too. As I have stated in the last comment I made I am doing this not only for me but for him.

Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made but in my opinion, I am selecting the better option. There will always be fears in a change one makes and they must be taken into account but at the same time,

one must never allow them to take over otherwise nothing will ever happen.

Equally, people will try and dissuade one to visit Thailand with scaremongering about Ladyboys, tropical diseases, Russian Mafia, prostitution, sex-pats, scams, etc etc. However as people who live or have lived there know Thailand is an amazing place to live and with a bit of common sense the ugly side can be avoided. The same with my dog. Of course there are many things that could possibly go wrong but I am doing what I can to ensure that he has a great healthy and happy life there.

Thanks once again

Syd

I paid a UK company to sort out all the travel arrangements and documentation for my two whippets to come to Thailand, and then a Thai interpreter to accompany me when I picked them up at Phuket airport.  It was very easy and no problems.  Obviously my whippets (a notoriously sensitive breed) were very stressed when they arrived, but as soon as they saw me they were fine :smile:.

I understand your concern at your staffies being treated as a banned breed, which is why I would recommend employing a Thai to deal with the immigration process - even though you speak Thai.  The immigration staff are far more likely to pay heed to a Thai pointing out that staffies are physically very different to the banned Pit Bulls (along with the documentation proving the same) than a 'farang' - regardless of how impressively he can speak Thai.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

Thank you Dick Dastardly and great minds must think alike because I have already contacted a Thai company to sort out the documentation and be at the airport to make sure things go to plan. And Cake Monster cheers for pointing out the possible dangers of importing a pet dog to Thailand. I did take notice of your very valid points.

Off subject, there is a lot of work to be done before I escape dreary Blackpool and relocate to the Far East. I have scribbled my first ever book about my trip from heaven to hell.This is not self-promotion but just to give you an idea of who I am and why I need to return.The book will be published in the summer. It most certainly will be a classic Farang read and as one ex-pat who had lived in Thailand for decades stated, " I have heard thousands of horror stories of westerners marrying oriental girls but yours is by far the worst." Pre-orders flooding in with great feedback. Book launches, presentations and media including a chat show spot on a Thai TV Channel lined up. And one last point my nickname is Psycho Syd!  Here is a bit of the synopsis I am just giving a final edit. Still needs work. Enjoy x

Take your seat on the ghost train for a trip from heaven to hell and back out again

The family lived in a modest 2-bedroomed bungalow with a magnificent lush equatorial garden; dazzling tropical fruit trees bearing delicious phenomenal mouth-watering drops of heaven. The jungle was on their doorstep which was a far Tarzan cry away from Syd’s old council house with its tiny lawn and flowerbed in Manchester. Jane was usually indoors in the air-conditioned atmosphere living the life of Mrs. Riley. An organic vegetable plot and a Wunderbar herb garden spiced up and flavoured this exotic paradise. A bubbling thirst-quenching spring water well-provided skin tingling and mind revitalising cascading power showers in this steamy wonderland. Deep green creepers, vines and plants grew wild in this luscious Oases camouflaging the Wonderwall which encircled their heavenly garden of Eden.

Most weekends, a potent turd brown Hyundai Santa Fe 4×4 went like shit off a hot shovel along dusty trails ultimately dumping the happy family at mystical remote jungle temples, high magical mountains or isolated, snoozy riverbanks. Welcome to paradise!

In the blink of an eye, he awoke from the dream to a ghastly nightmare. He was as white as a ghost with one foot in the grave, claiming benefits in cold grey rainy Blackpool. He had been diagnosed with inoperable stage four mouth cancer and given a prognosis of just six months to live. Join him on his trip to hell as he graphically takes you step by step through the harrowing cancer treatment. After the ordeal, he was a death warmed up burnt and blistered bag of bones sprawled on his sick sofa eight miles high on morphine pouring sickly yucky liquid into his peg tube to keep him alive to the fact that he was dying. You think that is bad? Baby, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Accompany him on the journey to the centre of his mind after his mother died to join his father on the other side. Next, his wife abandons him and the children. He was all alone dying of cancer, with two young children aged 14 and 4 who were completely dependent on him. Very scary indeed. What would you do?

Psycho Syd hid under the duvet and screamed. Then he forced his broken body to fight. He was going to beat this bloody cancer because his kids needed him. They had no one else!

This is not just another cancer memoir; This is something unique. Written in nitty-gritty council estate Mancunian. Raw and edgy with shed loads of dark eye-popping humour. He takes you right there. Taste the madness, hurt and despair as you are gripped in spine-tingling suspense page after page. Get ready to rage, cry, smile, shout, dance, scream and laugh. You will be spellbound as Psycho Syd inspires you into believing that maybe, just maybe, you can achieve the unthinkable too. You will never forget this startling true-life story for as long as you live. You have been warned!

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Cake Monster said:

Syd,

My comments are based purely on the welfare of you Dog, but you have clearly thought this thing through and I wish you, you family and the Dog a happy life inTailand.

my comments are what concerns me tooooooooo,as CAKE MONSTER puts it,THE DOGS WELFARE.

but a few of your reply's syd/kyd are,you say you spent 20yrs.here and laos,yet you didn't know, LOS meant.

you say you know the score,i also thought i did after over 25yrs.and now adding another 10yrs.on top of that,i have just found out the hard way of owning a loved one in Thailand is not the same as owning many in the uk.i was a greyhound trainer,so don't take what I have to say is barracking you,ITS NOT.as I said posting earlier,you do need a lot of reading up on the dangers HERE, for the sake of your beloved and its welfare.

my heart and the wife's have been ripped apart which is going to take a long long time to repair.it was our ignorance about the dangers here,owning a much loved member of our LIFE who sadly was taken from us.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Meatboy, I am so sorry for your loss. What I meant was that I know the score about keeping a dog in Thailand or Laos and fully understand many of the potential problems that could occur and the differences in keeping a dog in Thailand to the UK.  I have many friends whose dogs have lived long and healthy lives but of course, there are always sad cases such as in yours. After weighing up the pros and cons I feel it is better for my rescue dog to join us on our new adventure for his sake. I don't want him to be heartbroken feeling he has been abandoned again. I have a lot of support in Thailand from animal loving friends too. And it is possible to fly my dog in and once I am finally back in the land of smiles I will update you on how it has gone. And I have a lot of experience with dogs too. I have helped at rescues in Bangkok, China and in the UK including rehoming greyhounds. I sincerely thank you for your well-meaning concern and wish you a happy day. Syd