Lottery fever as magical log - and mystery figure - is dragged from a bog in Trang

webfact

Lottery fever as magical log - and mystery figure - is dragged from a bog in Trang

log.jpg

Pictures: Thai Rath

Locals are rushing to get lottery numbers after a magical log was dragged from a quagmire in Trang.

They believe that the "Takhian" tree log is inhabited by a female spirit that must first be appeased but who will then give her bounteous wealth.

But while this case is just another where superstitions surround such logs there is more....much more.

Embedded into the side of the 13.70 meter log that had a circumference of 2 meters was what is believed to have been an age old Buddhist image.

2.jpg

It is said to have been fashioned by an ancient alchemist some 400 years ago.

Pictures showed the lump of old metal in the rough shape of a Buddhist image in pride of place on a golden phan (offering tray).

This discovery has convinced the locals - and some from further afield - that the lottery is there for the winning.

Yesterday the local mayor of Nataluang sub-district Natthapong Niamsom officiated over a ceremony with a senior local monk to bless the log and its mystery figure.

Thai Rath reported that a back hoe unearthed the trunk and was itself stuck in the bog for three days before it could be extricated.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-02

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

the "Takhian" tree log is inhabited by a female spirit that must first be appeased but who will then give her bounteous wealth

Almost exactly the same procedure described in an email I received this morning from my new friend H.E. Sunday Babatunde Akinola.

7 minutes ago, Darcula said:

Almost exactly the same procedure described in an email I received this morning from my new friend H.E. Sunday Babatunde Akinola.

He has fallen on hard times but with our help he will unleash bountiful remuneration, I think i just "filed "the same e mail 

Let's get the log out of the swamp,make a story up about,

and they will come,and we can make a lot of money from it.

It's never occured to the believers,they cannot ALL win the

lottery,i suppose the ones that don't win,are not true believers.

Little wonder Thailand is a paradise for scammers of all kinds

regards worgeodie

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Yesterday the local mayor of Nataluang sub-district Natthapong Niamsom officiated over a ceremony with a senior local monk to bless the log and its mystery figure.

This is where much of the problem lies. What hope for the less educated masses? 

IMG_20180502_155513.png

I would have laughed at this too last year. My father-in-law caught a golden eel (plaa rai) in January and put it ina concrete tank, i thought it might be worth something due to rarity, but it turned out golden swamp eels are not uncommon. Next thing i know mother-in-law has incense sticks, candles burning and is praying to the eel for lottery number inspiration. She them netted it out, put it in a bowl and whatever configuration it curled into was interpreted as a number. I chuckled to myself and left.

Two days later she won 10,000 baht. In february my Sister-in-law won; in March and April my wife won 20,000 and 10.000 baht. I stopped laughing.

Unfortunately it died 3 days ago , so guess it is back to spending my money again.......

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, thaichiro said:

Folks came from miles around to rub the log for luck.

Many a Thai has rubbed me for luck which is a nice sensation.  Not sure if it brought luck.  

Archived