What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Tv Series- Spring Tide

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes of this 10 part series from Sweden.
Has subs.

IMDB: A student at the Police Academy is tasked to study a cold case: the murder of a pregnant woman on a Swedish beach 25 years ago.

• Like 1

Documentary  - Crocodile Gennadiy AKA Almost Holy

A really good doco this one.
Some heart wrenching moments.

IMDB: Gennadiy calls himself "Pastor Crocodile." He's known throughout Ukraine for his years working to rehabilitate drug-addicted kids. But he's also a vigilante who uses any force necessary to carry out his moral vision. Gennadiy believes he has made Mariupol a better place, but now, the violence in Ukraine threatens everything.

Interesting documentary on the Mayflower Pilgrims. I'm sure like me, most Americans, especially those of us of older generations, tend to get taught the sugar coated, or at least the abridged version of the story, which isn't unusual in any culture, in as much that history becomes sanitized.

So, I found this fascinating, I watched it on the BBC iplayer, but I've posted the YouTube link

Edited by GinBoy2

Oh one more, since I was on the 'history' tab of the iplayer I came across 'A Very British Crisis' describing the events leading up to the abdication of Edward VIII.

I had a vague knowledge of this, but not much, so pretty interesting. I found it somewhat poignant that even back in the uber conservative 1930's the scandal was openly discussed in  the press, even the British press ultimately.

I'll be an 'interesting' day when a similar story might be told in a country close to our hearts about the trials and tribulations of another similarly appointed family!

Couldn't find a YouTube link, so sorry no preview pane

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08647xm/a-very-british-crisis?suggid=b08647xm

Edited by GinBoy2

Just downloaded a series ,called search party its about a group of self centered "millenials" searching for a lost girl , it may not be everybodys cup of lapsang souchong, but if you realize that the writers are poking fun at themselves in many ways , you will like it ,each episode only 22 minutes , i am finding it addictive .

i dont know if this was posted before , but when i went to post it appeared so here it is again

The wife and i just finished watching SPLIT its about a guy that abducts three girls , he has 22 different oersonalities . by M. Night Shaymalan , its strange and addictive ,

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

Just watched a great documentary. Very moving, emotional and sometimes distressing to watch.

Where Should the Birds Fly (2013)

Made by Palestinians living the reality it is the story of Israel's years long siege of Gaza and its 2008-2009 attack, told through the eyes of two young women,Mona Samouni, now 10 years old and the filmmaker, Fida Qishta.

1485667838003.jpg.a3600cc02f4c691847dfbf

Yep, I was expecting it to be a little slow in the first episode, getting the characters in place and the story line in the open. Agree that the second episode will be the true indicator.

Still think it will be a good one!

Thought 2nd episode was much better [emoji106]
  • Like 1

"TRUMP BAN

Iranian film director nominated for Oscar ‘won’t be able to attend ceremony’ after Donald Trump issues Muslim ban"

nintchdbpict000297589707.jpg?strip=all&w

Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, with his Oscar win from 2012, will not be allowed into the USA for the ceremony in February after the White House issued a ban

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2727932/iranian-film-director-nominated-for-oscar-wont-be-able-to-attend-ceremony-after-donald-trump-issues-muslim-ban/

The 3 films I've most been looking forward to all 2016 were/are:

Romanian new wave director Cristian Mungiu's "Graduation" (original title "Bacalaureat").

Mungiu tied for Best Director at Cannes 2016 for this film.

It wasn't released in 2016 in the USA so not eligible for this year's Academy's -

I wrote about the film in an earlier post and is the only one of the 3 films which I did see;

Cristi Piui's "Sieranevada", nominated for the Palme d'Or at Cannes 2016 but with no US distributor thus far.

Credited with directing the first Romanian new wave film,

"Stuff and Dough" (2001) (" Marfa si banii ")MV5BYzE1MzU4YzUtYTVhNi00ZmZlLTkzYWItOWMx

and,  Iranian director Farhadi's "The Salesman" ("Forushande"), which I've had a copy of for a few weeks but no English subtitles available yet so haven't watched it.

All 3 are terrific filmmakers, but Farhadi's last 3 films which he wrote and directed I would rate minimally as excellent:

"About Elly" (2009)- my favorite - a great film

MV5BMTQ0MzQxODQ0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTQ0

"A Separation" (2011) - Academy Award winner for Best Foreign Film

"The Past" (2013)

He's the best working contemporary director, consistently wonderful films.

I would have described all 3 as dramas, and was surprised at first that IMDB labeled "About Elly" as "Drama, Mystery, Thriller" and the other 2 as "Drama, Mystery".

Not what one usually expects when hearing "Mystery", but when I thought about it I realized they're correct - each one has a major event at its core which did or didn't occur, and there is great human drama as the stories unravel.

"The Salesman" has a good shot to win this year's Oscar as well, based on the other contenders I've seen so far, plus Farhadi's work in general and at Cannes 2016 won Best Actor and Best Screenplay and nominated for the Palme d'Or. Also nominated for the Golden Globes for Best Foreign Film but lost (to the unwatchable "Elle", also nominated for this year's Oscars).

Hoping to find some subtitles soon...

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2017 at 10:16 PM, JB300 said:

Seriously emoji15.png

You must be American (there are tribes in the deepest darkest Amazon forest who know who Bobby Moore is emoji15.png)

Or someone who simply doesnt give a shit about football. 

I couldnt name 10 footballers if i tried.

Had to look this one up too, though i might have just guessed it was a sporting hero adored by a country with a paltry 65 miilion people wh have been led to beleive they are the center of the universe.

Or someone who simply doesnt give a shit about football. 

I couldnt name 10 footballers if i tried.

Had to look this one up too, though i might have just guessed it was a sporting hero adored by a country with a paltry 65 miilion people wh have been led to beleive they are the center of the universe.

Lol... chill out fella it was a joke (but funny how I guessed right)

I know you guys prefer your own flavour of "Football" & I can only 1/2 name one of those ("The Fridge" iirc played for Chicago) but maybe when you win a World Cup (that other countries actually participate in), I'll remember the captain [emoji1303]

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Lol... chill out fella it was a joke (but funny how I guessed right)

I know you guys prefer your own flavour of "Football" & I can only 1/2 name one of those ("The Fridge" iirc played for Chicago) but maybe when you win a World Cup (that other countries actually participate in), I'll remember the captain emoji1303.png

Where did i say i was american?  I know nothing about american football. Or baseball for that matter. Anyways...

On 27 January, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Will27 said:

Tv Series- Spring Tide

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes of this 10 part series from Sweden.
Has subs.

IMDB: A student at the Police Academy is tasked to study a cold case: the murder of a pregnant woman on a Swedish beach 25 years ago.

looks good…where did you find it? Sno?

Have a look at Panorama tonight (UK TV..BBC) a new report on what has now been named "Granny Dumping"  which is reaching alarming proportions.

if you are ever in doubt about your decision to see out the rest of your days here in Thailand, being looked after by your love one.

To look after older people, especially if they are inflicted with an illness or are a  dementia sufferer , is very expensive in the USA, and many other countries. As a solution why not buy them an air ticket & take them to a country that does not charge. 

The latest case is an elderly American dementia patient who was flown to Britain and dumped in a car park by his family It has emerged that Roger Curry was taken from his home in Los Angeles by his wife and son to the UK where he was abandoned without identification in November 2015. The 76-year-old was found at Hereford bus station in the company of two men who flagged down a passing ambulance. Mr Curry was cared for at a nursing home while police and social services  were tied up for months trying find out who he was.

He appeared to have been well looked after by English shoppers as he was dressed from head to toe in new clothes from Tesco.

He was called Roger by staff caring for him after they heard him use the name Roger Curry. But police didn’t know whether that was his real name or not.

Panorama--screens at 9pm GMT

Documentary  - Crocodile Gennadiy AKA Almost Holy

A really good doco this one.
Some heart wrenching moments.

IMDB: Gennadiy calls himself "Pastor Crocodile." He's known throughout Ukraine for his years working to rehabilitate drug-addicted kids. But he's also a vigilante who uses any force necessary to carry out his moral vision. Gennadiy believes he has made Mariupol a better place, but now, the violence in Ukraine threatens everything.

Brilliant documentary. Watched it on youtube. It opens your eyes to another world that you thought never existed. Very powerful and moving. Not been so moved since I watched Burma VJ for the first time. This man is an angel sent from heaven. A living saint. Thanks Will. Great tip.
  • Like 1

^^^^ looked on youtube - many sites but you must register. Any links not requiring this ?

Have you tried www.alluc.ee?

Might have to try a few of the links as there's a lot of ad-baits on there but I've generally found stuff I can't find elsewhere

Edit: I always stream, but if you download make sure your av is up to date etc [emoji1303]

Just now, Will27 said:

Have another look.

It's there.

I'm not blind, there's only 10 entries for Fauda on TPB, one is for the complete Season 1, the others are for episodes of Season 1. Unless there is another version of TPB that I don't have?

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm not blind, there's only 10 entries for Fauda on TPB, one is for the complete Season 1, the others are for episodes of Season 1. Unless there is another version of TPB that I don't have?

Sorry gang.

Series 2 of The Bureau.

Edited by Will27