What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Worked from home today so caught up on a few series plus Homefront..

This weeks Law & Order and Chicago P.D had a crossover - not unexpected given both Dick Wolf shows.. But if you're going to watch Law & Order is first ;)

Homefront sees Statham in his typecast roll. Which I enjoyed in this movie. Decent cast including Winona Ryder, Kate Bosworth and James Franco (I've never rated Franco as a decent actor and glad he played a bad guy junkie) solid 7/10 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Anyone up for a mind f*** movie? Oldboy is your next choice...

Holy f***!

Good movie, but, g'dam_n..

Are you talking about the awesome original Korean version by Park Chan-Wook ? Or the sh!tty Hollywood version ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Holy f***!

Are you talking about the awesome original Korean version by Park Chan-Wook ? Or the sh!tty Hollywood version ?

For those interested...

Korean original 2003 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy_(2003_film)

remake 2013 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321511/

both are currently available on pirate and other sites

Holy f***!

For those interested...

Korean original 2003 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy_(2003_film)

remake 2013 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321511/

both are currently available on pirate and other sites

Didn't realise it was a remake...

If the original went the same way of the remake, I'll be giving it a miss..

The American series of Rake is here..up to episode 5 now. It is a remake of the Australian series of the same name (now in its 3rd series).

It is a comedy drama style show, each episode about 40 minute.

The Australian show is brilliant, with Richard Roxburgh as the central character Cleaver Green making the show much of what it is. Original, ongoing and interwoven plotlines, it has some hilarious moments.

It can be difficult to judge a remake if comparing it with the original. One recent remake that excelled and was better than the original is House Of Cards.

The US remake of Rake, with Greg Kinnear, is not nearly as good.as the original. They have used a mish mash of the same plotlines (thus far) with basically the same characters, but Kinnears portrayal lets the show down, imo.

Check it out for yourself.

Rake US - 5.5/10

Rake Australia - 8.5/10

• Like 1

Went to see "Saving Mr. Banks", the story of the making of the movie of Mary Poppins. Heavy on the sentiment but a pretty good movie nevertheless.

I watched it last night.

I was taken to see M.P. when I was 9 by my mother, it had just been released in London, it made a big impact on me at the time, I loved the music and the story as all kids did

Watching Saving Mr Banks brought it all back, I found it amazingly emotional and found it hard not to blubber at times.

If you loved Mary Poppins as a kid, this is a must watch. Also if you have kids that live in the 21st Century with all their gadgets, Apps and rap music, sit them down and get them to watch Mary Poppins, its timeless

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140373/

• Like 1

Went to see "Saving Mr. Banks", the story of the making of the movie of Mary Poppins. Heavy on the sentiment but a pretty good movie nevertheless.

I watched it last night.

I was taken to see M.P. when I was 9 by my mother, it had just been released in London, it made a big impact on me at the time, I loved the music and the story as all kids did

Watching Saving Mr Banks brought it all back, I found it amazingly emotional and found it hard not to blubber at times.

If you loved Mary Poppins as a kid, this is a must watch. Also if you have kids that live in the 21st Century with all their gadgets, Apps and rap music, sit them down and get them to watch Mary Poppins, its timeless

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140373/

Agreed on all points. The Missus was bawling her eyes out, of course I did not shed a tear, being a real man and all thatwink.png

It would be my personal choice for the picture of the year Oscar, but it was not nominated. I will admit shedding a few tears while watching it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Another quite funny show about Afghanistan and the bomb didposal squad working there ,bluestone 42 just starting s 2 on pirate bay and dont remember if i mentioned it inside no9 a short film every week ,very strange and dark ,but i love it .

• Like 1

I downloaded , "Filth" , the film adaptation of Irvine Welsh's book of the same name . What a laugh.

Watched this tonight with the wife.. Jesus H Christ.. Thankfully no incest like Oldboy, but plenty of shagging going on..

Plenty of laughs in this black comedy, the photocopier gag was pretty funny amongst others...

I saw Filth recently on the plane having not too long ago reading the book. I did wonder how they would transfer that to film but thought they did quite a good job

In terms of TV, anyone seen 'Rectify'? It's a 6 episode 1st series, renewed for 10. About a guy that has been on death row for 19 years after the rape and murder of his 16 year old girlfriend. DNA evidence leads to his release and trying to assimilate back into the small southern town where he is from, the people that supported and doubted him and also there will be a new trial

Slow but very watchable drama

Watched the new first episode of the 2nd season of Hannibal. I enjoyed much of this new series last season, but I have the feeling it won't be extended to a 3rd. First, it's impossible to imagine anyone other than Anthony Hopkins in that role, and Mads Mikkelson, though a good James Bond villain, just can't come close to instilling the fear into you that Hopkins could. That, and the script is just too slow developing to let us see his evil side. Frankly, Dexter was more satisfying if you are blood thirsty....smile.png

• Like 2

Another quite funny show about Afghanistan and the bomb didposal squad working there ,bluestone 42 just starting s 2 on pirate bay and dont remember if i mentioned it inside no9 a short film every week ,very strange and dark ,but i love it .

I don’t think you mentioned Inside no. 9 before iclaudius. Looks interesting.

Link for anyone interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_No._9

Bluestone 42; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluestone_42

I downloaded , "Filth" , the film adaptation of Irvine Welsh's book of the same name . What a laugh.

Watched this tonight with the wife.. Jesus H Christ.. Thankfully no incest like Oldboy, but plenty of shagging going on..

Plenty of laughs in this black comedy, the photocopier gag was pretty funny amongst others...

What did your wife think of the both of them?

In terms of TV, anyone seen 'Rectify'? It's a 6 episode 1st series, renewed for 10. About a guy that has been on death row for 19 years after the rape and murder of his 16 year old girlfriend. DNA evidence leads to his release and trying to assimilate back into the small southern town where he is from, the people that supported and doubted him and also there will be a new trial

Slow but very watchable drama

Yes. I liked it - kind of an unusual show.

Thankfully, she didn't watch Oldboy.

Filth on the other hand, I said before we watched it that it should be funny and she might like it. She's not stopped reminding me about that since :P

Aside from the masturbation scenes, she laughed at most of the funny bits and picked up most of the "black comedy" stuff but overall didn't enjoy it. If you're going to watch it with the missus mate, you might need to re-think that ;)

Or perhaps watch Trainspotting with her first to give her the idea of it...

http://youtu.be/tymWDB7gtK4

I don’t think you mentioned Inside no. 9 before iclaudius. Looks interesting.

Link for anyone interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_No._9

Bluestone 42; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluestone_42

Hi ,inside no 9 is really good ,its the same two guys in each play ,must admit i am really enjoying it ,another one is moving on ,again on the bay a series of plays that were on the BBC not bad at all.

also take a look at Bosch its a pilot ,hope they carry it on i think it has a lot of promise.

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1