What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Old School Western...3:10 to Yuma (1957 version)

I watched this gem last night in a beautiful restored print from the Criterion Collection. Their stamp on a product always assures excellent quality. Like watching a NEW 1957 film.

I saw the Russell Crowe/Christian Bale remake, which was pretty good, but this was better, The black and white cinematography is so deep and crisp, and the outdoor location shots from Southern Arizona are stunning. Here we have another Elmore Leonard western novel brought to the screen, with a great cast. Van Heflin is particularly good as the busted rancher who agrees to take semi-loveable badguy Glen Ford to the train, just to make $200 that he needs to save his ranch. All the way there Ford is messing with Van's mind, trying to get him to give up and let the outlaw escape.

NINE with a sawed off double barrel 12 ga ready to cut you down if you decide to run off.

• Like 1

Tv Series - Les témoins AKA Witnesses

This is a 6 part French series which was recently shown on SBS in Australia.

Just finished episode 3 and am finding it really enjoyable.

IMDB: Set in a small coastal village in France, this is a quiet thriller of crime and dark secrets. The opening sequence takes place in a house just put out for sale. In it, the discovery of what appears to be the dead family in the house, implicates the former chief-of-police to the plot. The now-retired chief-of-police, having made a lot of enemies in his past career, is recovering from a car crash in which his wife was killed and he himself barely survived.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4322508/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hmmm.. On SBS.. Now Khun Will27, I thought you good man with kind heart, why you watch sexy girl on SBS na?

Hahaha ;)

• Like 2

A new Brit four part drama started last night called Safe House.

First episode so so.

Sad to see Indian Summers has finished, but hope they will do a second series. Which i think they will, the way it finished.

Will watch the last episode of Indian Summers tonight and looking forward to it.

BTW: The show is already renewed for season 2. No doubt, I will continue watching.

Edited by jope
  • Like 1

A new Brit four part drama started last night called Safe House.

First episode so so.

Sad to see Indian Summers has finished, but hope they will do a second series. Which i think they will, the way it finished.

Will watch the last episode of Indian Summers tonight and looking forward to it.

BTW: The show is already renewed for season 2. No doubt, I will continue watching.

My wife loved Indian Summers , strange as she usually not to keen on most tv , unless its the dog whisperer or believe it or not 3rd rock from the sun ,i have had to download them all !!smile.png

probably a little late in the day to recommend 'Turn' as its on it's third episode of series 2 , dont really know why i've been ignoring series2 cos series one IMo was excellent; after watching a couple of episodes IMO looks like series 2 could well be as well. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543328/2

I liked the first season but haven't gone back for the second - the plethora of choices this year have relegated it (for me anyway) to the back seat - might watch it in the off season.

yep pruning is paramount . latest due for culling?, 4 me scandel. "i get things done' kerry washington is really beginning to grind on me :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

I just watched a movie that came out in 2003 with Bill Murray and Scarlet Johannsen Lost in Translation ,i loved it then and loved it this time watching it with the wife ,not a lot happens ,but if you "get it" you will enjoy it .

• Like 2

I "got" Lost in Translation, but IMO, it is overrated in some quarters. It has become a real cult thing, but, to me, it is a perfectly good film, but nothing special.

yeah talk bout all the bad things of nepotism,,,,, 1zgarz5.gif

Tv Series - Bloodline

Another series by Netflix.

I'm 3 episodes of 13 in and really enjoying this one.

Also good to see Aussie actor Ben Mendelsohn playing a major part.

IMDB: A family of adult siblings find that their past secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep of a brother returns home.

Finished this one yesterday and thought it was a great series.

Mendelsohn in particular was just superb. I don't think a performance

like this will hurt his career in hollywood.

• Like 2

yep, thats it for me with scandel, the earlier series where ' good' watching, unfortunatly the latest series for me is not.

american crime continues to provide a decent drama as long as you can handle a series with no wit and whose charecters week in week out are given virtually no positivity in life, its a good watch

This might not be everybodys cup of tea ,but i downloaded a 6 parter called back in time for dinner ,its a familly who get their house changed and their food for 10 years at a time ,starting in the 1940s ,it was actually quite fasinating to see how our eating habits have changed ,and to not put to fine a point on it why we have become obese by eating crap.smile.png

• Like 2

Tv Series - Bloodline

IMDB: A family of adult siblings find that their past secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep of a brother returns home.

3 in and ,, yeah and seems a decent series. I'm always a touch disconcerted when the early in the script and it feeds you part of the resolution, but here they seem to balance juggle it and work it reasonably well,,, so far.

Tv series - Happyish

Being a big Steve Coogan fan, I was really looking forward to this one.
Unfortunately, it was a let down. I didn't find it amusing and or clever at all.

Having said that, I will give episode two a crack to see if it improves.

IMDB: On his birthday, Thom Payne gets the gift of insignificance and also a new boss. He suspects his ED pills are interfering with his anti-depressants, leaving him with neither happiness nor... happiness. In a culture that reveres youth - a culture he helped create - Thom needs to figure out what his purpose is now that he's halfway to death and nobody cares what he thinks. Because in a world where any Kardashian is trending up, perhaps the wise among us would heartily embrace trending down.

[media][/media]

• Like 1

Tv Series - Bloodline

Am in the middle of this series now. Great ensemble of actors, but I hate the whole family, except for John's (the oldest brother, a cop) wife, and John's work partner. Especially repulsive is the youngest brother, Kevin, a whiny little rat. Good actor, though!

Ben Mendelsohn will definitely be on the big time star track now. Who can forget his breakout role in the Aussie film about an even more f-ed up family, Animal Kingdom? He may end up like Dennis Hopper, always playing a nut job.

Netflix has just ordered a second season of this one.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the latest episode of Grimm and at the end they had an ad for a new TV series coming on May 28. Starring David Duchovny (X-Files).

Aquarius - A gritty 1960s cop drama about a cop who goes undercover to track Charles Manson and the Manson Family before their infamous murder spree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVTdizy0Wds

• Like 2

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT BELOW***

Secrets & Lies: we were all wrong in thinking who did it... But I like the direction the series has taken... Didn't see it until it was obvious... Will be interesting to see if they go around for a second season. For the Aussie contingent, Indiana Evans has come a long way since "Home & Away", though funnily enough still playing a teenager (at the age of 25) wink.png

Wayward Pines: Anyone else watch this? Another Juliette Lewis show along with Matt Dillon... Not too sure what to think of it just yet, it definitely has that "Stepford Wives" feeling to it..

Also indulged in a couple of movies over the weekend:

Absolution: Typical Steven Segal movie, but hey, he does it well and is cool as <deleted> about it... 'nuff said...

The Forger: John Travolta plays an ex-con recently released from prison after being grassed on by the bloke who'd given him the job. The bloke gets Travolta's character out early after flicking the presiding judge a donation and gets Travolta to do one last job for him. His son is dying of cancer and in a last ditch effort by Travolta's character to re-connect. Father and son with the help of Grandpa set about getting some things in order. Pretty decent watching actually with a good amount of laughs, buoyed by the inclusion of Abigail Spencer aka Scotty (Suits) ;). The Bawston accent is always fun to listen to as well.

The Cobbler: Adam Sandler's latest effort. I was a bit 'meh' by the whole thing. It just never really got going, I watched it until the end but by then it felt like the writer's had gone "<deleted> it, this storyline is going nowhere so let's go right outside the box", was hoping for a little more funny...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 2

Tv Series - Bloodline

Am in the middle of this series now. Great ensemble of actors, but I hate the whole family, except for John's (the oldest brother, a cop) wife, and John's work partner. Especially repulsive is the youngest brother, Kevin, a whiny little rat. Good actor, though!

Ben Mendelsohn will definitely be on the big time star track now. Who can forget his breakout role in the Aussie film about an even more f-ed up family, Animal Kingdom? He may end up like Dennis Hopper, always playing a nut job.

Netflix has just ordered a second season of this one.

isnt Danny (mendleson) the oldest son ?

Is that the guy called "McSexy" or something like that? I used to love that show, but have not watched for years.

McDreamy!!! You should actually catch up with it. I have watched it since the beginning and still love it. The characters have evolved and you do kind of get attached to them.

I had to go back a few series to catch up when i first started downloading. But it was worth it.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1