What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

A couple of movies just available

Ashby

Mickey Rourke is good in this one.Also has Nat Wolff and Emma Roberts. Comedy drama style. Dramedy? 5.5/10 High-school student Ed Wallis enters into a friendship with his neighbor, Ashby, a retired CIA assassin who only has a few months left to live.

Mercury Plains

Low budget awful stuff. Has Scott Eastwood in who is quite good. Eastwood joins a crew in Mexico who rip off drug dealers. Not a lot makes sense with this one. 2/10

Watched "Ashby" on the flight back to Europe. I support your 5.5 smile.png , seems rather accurate. But I doubt that I would have watched it without Rourke in it. I wonder: is that all wigs and make-up or does he actually look like that? Anyway, perfect for the character.

• Like 2

Watched the pilot of Second Chance.

Sheriff Jimmy Pritchard, old, disgraced and forced to retire, is brought back to life after he was murdered. He is supposed to help the terminally ill sister of a socially challenged genius scientist. Unfortunately, Sheriff Jimmy Pritchard (like that name) was dismissed for good reasons ("I did what I had to do" - read: he planted evidence). And according to a computer analysis his desire for law enforcement comes fourth after women, booze and music.

It seems that they do not take themselves too serious. If they continue like that, the show might be good fun (could also become total crap, though). I will give it a shot.

• Like 2

Legend (2015)

I was excited to finally be able to see this film. Tom Hardy proves again that he is one of the greatest actors of the current era. However, the film could have been much better with a big dose of severe editing. It rises and falls, bumping its way along for over two hours, when 90 minutes of this sad tale would have been sufficient. After an hour or so I was pausing the film to go find snack food, and wondering how much more unpleasant can this mess get?

Johnny Depp's portrayal of psycho gangster Whitey Bulger (Black Mass) was painful to watch, but Tom Hardy tops this by a factor of two. I'm hoping we have reached the peak of glamorizing ultra violence, lost souls, and general mayhem. I may be getting soft, but Bridge of Spies for me was a welcome departure from this trend, with Tom Hanks playing a decent man trying to do the right thing. It was probably 90% fiction, but we need a little more heroism these days (IMHO, of course.)

SEVEN, and make sure Ronnie K takes his meds.

• Like 1

Watch out for the dvd screener of Sisters…for once, someone has really committed a crime by releasing this to the public.

hehehe..i put that in my queue today

Yes, you really picked them right recently. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Tv Series Documentary - Making a Murderer

Three episodes into this 10 parter from Netflix and it's fascinating viewing.

More like fiction than truth.

All 10 episodes are now available.

IMDB: Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery,

a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.

This show seems to be getting a fair bit of publicity.

If you haven't seen it, this article contains spoilers.

Making a Murderer: juror believes Steven Avery was framed

This was a fascinating look into the criminal justice system. I won't be signing a petition to free Avery because, although through a miscarriage of justice, this monster is now far too dangerous to ever be allowed back into the community. The title of the movie says it all, and the Sheriff's Department is partially responsible by their gross negligence.

• Like 1

This was a fascinating look into the criminal justice system. I won't be signing a petition to free Avery because, although through a miscarriage of justice, this monster is now far too dangerous to ever be allowed back into the community.

I reckon he'd be in good company if he moved to thailand….he'd be quiet as a church mouse….though I still wouldn't trust him with my cat.

This was a fascinating look into the criminal justice system. I won't be signing a petition to free Avery because, although through a miscarriage of justice, this monster is now far too dangerous to ever be allowed back into the community.

I reckon he'd be in good company if he moved to thailand.he'd be quiet as a church mouse.though I still wouldn't trust him with my cat.

The sex addict prosecutor should move to Thailand.

I reckon he'd be in good company if he moved to thailand.he'd be quiet as a church mouse.though I still wouldn't trust him with my cat.

The sex addict prosecutor should move to Thailand.

Spoiler: they both move to thailand, blame the murders on a burmese and become good golfing buddies.

Watch out for the dvd screener of Sisters…for once, someone has really committed a crime by releasing this to the public.

My problem is I stick with most of them instead of turning them off tongue.png

• Like 1

Documentary: He Named Me Malala

This one is a winner. It is a fairly generous documentary towards her, but when you hear her speak a few times you feel it is justified. She is a powerful intelligent speaker and has a certain guileless quality that is inspiring. An impressive story and an impressive girl. A change from the self absorbed narcissism so prevalent with the under 30s. This is one documentary i am glad i watched.

9/10 from me

• Like 2

The Hateful Eight...QT strikes again!

After blubbering on sanctimoniously about how we need less violence and more "heroes" in films these days, I immediately immersed myself in the bloody mess that is "The H8ful Eight." We've been hearing the carefully orchestrated hype about this one for two years, starting with the questionable tale of a petulant Quentin Tarantino saying he would cancel the film because someone had stolen and leaked the script. Someone named Weinstein must have convinced him to carry on, regardless.

Having made so much $$$ for the W Co. over the years, he was indulged in his insistence on shooting the film with antiquated, super expensive 70mm "Super Panavision 70" equipment. for the sake of opening in maybe 100 theaters around Christmastime that were capable of projecting the film without digitization. I would love to see the film again that way (even knowing now what is coming), but that will probably never be possible in this hemisphere.

Much has been made of the overuse of "the N word" in this film, but in this time period (1870's) the word was in universal use, and is much more appropriate here than in other QT films (see esp. Pulp Fiction). The violence is indeed taken to an outlandish level. The dialog is vintage Tarantino, (this is his talking-est ever outing) who is often cited as the top writer of filmic dialog today. In my opinion, this is true only because we lost the great Elmore Leonard last year. His mastery of conversation is preserved splendidly in six seasons of "Justified," and even more so in a great stack of novels.

When a film is nearly three hours long, as this one is, with an intermission thrown in at theaters, it means that the film will only be shown once in an evening, a great financial risk for the producers. If this epic doesn't bring in huge bucks, I doubt that Mr. T will be enabled and bankrolled sufficiently to do another needlessly sprawling testament to his legendary genius. Editor! Who needs em!

What a great stable of actors was assembled here...Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern (he gets to sit in a comfortable chair for (almost) the whole film, Michael Madsen, (sinister as always) Damian Bichir (who was so great in FX's The Bridge), Tim Roth, Channing Tatum, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and a too short cameo by the lovely KIWI stunt lady Zoe Baird.

Kudos to QT for shooting the film in America (Colorado, no doubt further jacking up the cost) rather than Canada where it would have been cheaper. He has crafted a classic all-time Western here, to which future efforts by others will be compared. Somewhere, Sam Peckinpah is smiling.

TEN, and nail that damn door shut! Three boards!

• Like 2

My problem is I stick with most of them instead of turning them off tongue.png

Yeah been there, thing is when u sit down and work the hours u spend weekly watching crap, its truly alarming with me something just had to be done and unfortunatly the only way is to bite the bullet and just weed them out and stop watching them. And from then onwards do a little research b4 u watch them, so u know it ain't gonna be crap, not your taste is different

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit
  • Like 2

After blubbering on sanctimoniously about how we need less violence and more "heroes" in films these days, I immediately immersed myself in the bloody mess that is "The H8ful Eight." We've been hearing the carefully orchestrated hype about this one for two years, starting with the questionable tale of a petulant Quentin Tarantino saying he would cancel the film because someone had stolen and leaked the script. Someone named Weinstein must have convinced him to carry on, regardless.

Having made so much $$$ for the W Co. over the years, he was indulged in his insistence on shooting the film with antiquated, super expensive 70mm "Super Panavision 70" equipment. for the sake of opening in maybe 100 theaters around Christmastime that were capable of projecting the film without digitization. I would love to see the film again that way (even knowing now what is coming), but that will probably never be possible in this hemisphere.

Much has been made of the overuse of "the N word" in this film, but in this time period (1870's) the word was in universal use, and is much more appropriate here than in other QT films (see esp. Pulp Fiction). The violence is indeed taken to an outlandish level. The dialog is vintage Tarantino, (this is his talking-est ever outing) who is often cited as the top writer of filmic dialog today. In my opinion, this is true only because we lost the great Elmore Leonard last year. His mastery of conversation is preserved splendidly in six seasons of "Justified," and even more so in a great stack of novels.

When a film is nearly three hours long, as this one is, with an intermission thrown in at theaters, it means that the film will only be shown once in an evening, a great financial risk for the producers. If this epic doesn't bring in huge bucks, I doubt that Mr. T will be enabled and bankrolled sufficiently to do another needlessly sprawling testament to his legendary genius. Editor! Who needs em!

What a great stable of actors was assembled here...Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern (he gets to sit in a comfortable chair for (almost) the whole film, Michael Madsen, (sinister as always) Damian Bichir (who was so great in FX's The Bridge), Tim Roth, Channing Tatum, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and a too short cameo by the lovely KIWI stunt lady Zoe Baird.

Kudos to QT for shooting the film in America (Colorado, no doubt further jacking up the cost) rather than Canada where it would have been cheaper. He has crafted a classic all-time Western here, to which future efforts by others will be compared. Somewhere, Sam Peckinpah is smiling.

TEN, and nail that damn door shut! Three boards!

Yeah agree thought it was a good interesting effort by qt.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

TedTalks. Love these.

TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) is a global set of conferences run by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, under the slogan "Ideas Worth Spreading". TED was founded in 1984 as a one-off event; the annual conference series began in 1990.TED's early emphasis was technology and design, consistent with its Silicon Valley origins, but it has since broadened its focus to include talks on many scientific, cultural, and academic topics.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TED_(conference)

http://www.ted.com/talks

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

IMO, the best of Tarantino's films for many years - which is not saying a lot. His first few films were great, but it has been mostly downhill ever since. I enjoyed "The Hateful Eight" but , like most Tarrantino films, it was way over the top. Personally, I don't think I was even close to being anything great.

• Like 2

The Revenant

I can't say much about this one without spoilers, so I won't, except to say...this will be an all time classic of cinema, and clearly the best man vs. nature film ever made.

Some suspension of disbelief is called for, as it seems no one could survive in that environment, (not even Bear Grylls!) with the condition of the hero, severely physically wrecked.

Loved it. Film of the Year.

TEN Oh God, the grizz is coming back!

• Like 2