What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Hate to admit it , but I have just watched one hour of Coronation Street....

Love Ena Sharples ,how is she doing? on another tack just watched a movie with judie Dench And steve Coogan ,Phillomena about a woman who's son is taken by the church and 50 years later they go looking for him ,sounds boreing but to be honest it was really good ,based on a true story 8/10

• Like 1

Looks like Rachel is going to be on more prominent display this season. Hope she spent some time at the Actors Studio while the show was on hiatus.

Rachel is just so much more than merely her acting skills.

3263998532925163b1ad90b0d30df18c.jpg

OK, I'll cut Rachel (Meghan Markle) some slack. Could be she is a terrific actress with lots of range and depth, but that's not what's called for in this role. She only needs to be semi adorable and pretty and vulnerable and all torn up all the time with the highs and lows of being with Mike. Looks like some plot elements are being introduced in the new series that will require more of her.

I like watching the snappy interplay between Louis and his assistant Katrina. (Amanda Schull) She's sort of a mini-version of Sheila, who must be brought back, I demand it.

Now, when we're considering who are the great young actresses of today, I think first of Tatiana Maslany, who came out of nowhere (well, Canada) to blow our minds playing eight distinctly different clones on Orphan Black. Also most impressive is Adelaide Clemens (Australian, how do they do it!) , who is so fine in Rectify. Then there's Diane Kruger, former fashion model from Germany, who was so good in "Inglourious Basterds", now playing a spaced out Texas cop on The Bridge.

Is Meghan Markle in this league? We shall soon see.

• Like 1

I like a good prison movie so looking forward to Starred Up:

Also has Aussie Ben Mendelsohn in it.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2567712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A troubled and explosively violent teenager is transferred to adult prison where he

finally meets his match - a man who also happens to be his father.

Would appreciate it if anyone finds out where I can find itwhistling.gif

I'm completely hooked on Rectify. The writing on this show is so good, and unusual. Nominally it is "about" Daniel Holden, adjusting to life again after 19 years on death row in Georgia. But the other actors are given lots of space to shine as their stories unfold. Some of the scenes seem so personal and highly charged, you feel like an intruder who has walked into some private family business.

Completely different from what's generally on offer these days. 10/10.

• Like 2

I was so intent on hoping that Ray Donovan would return, I didn't even know Suits is back on. I have watched every episode since s01, e01, and for me it's a love/hate thing. Looking forward to whatever they dream up next. Where to start?

• It is absolutely absurd that a top tier NYC corporate law firm would take on a street kid like Mike, knowing he has never been to any law school, much less Harvard. Requires a massive suspension of disbelief by the viewer. OK, I did, it's a good show, I'm in.
  • OK, Mike's a prodigy, but his phenomenal recall and photographic memory, coupled with the ability to always use these abilities to WIN every time, are a huge stretch. Ok, let that slide too.
  • Back to Point One: Mike's old buddy Trevor rats him out tp Boss Jessica, and she keeps Mike on? Out of love of Harvey? Please! (another slider.)
  • Mike's girlfriend Rachel: An appealing character, good looker, but what a TERRIBLE actress. She has one expression, that she can twist in two directions: hurt and vulnerable, as when Mike has once more given her pain, then dreamy in love, looking up at Mike. You know the look, it's in every scene she's in.
  • Donna is unbelievably smart and hot. She's MUCH smarter than Harvey, and he knows it.
  • Louis Litt ("You're gonna get Litt UP!") is smarter than anybody, but he has a defective, alienating personality. Love the mating rituals he goes through with Harvard Sheila. And he's way too into cats.
  • Patrick J. Adams really gets around. he played a psychotic killer on Luther, and what may be a recurring role as Crazy Helena's boyfriend on Orphan Black. he's good. I'm hoping they dump this "investment banker" role for him soon. Doesn't work for me.
  • I like the villains, particularly David Costible (Hardman), Gary Cole (DA, hates Harvey), and Eric Close (Tanner, Wile E Coyote to Harvey's Road Runner.)
  • Costible never wins. They killed him on Breaking Bad, and drove him off the Detroit PD in Low Winter Sun, and here he gets run out of his own firm.

Any show that makes you want to watch corporate lawyers, with all their tricky machinations, greed, and ridiculous wealth, is pretty good. Glad they're back.

Great post, totally agree. Rachel is the weakest link in Suits and IMHO she brings the show down except for the eye candy. She's just too good and the least believable character in a show with more than its share of unbelievability. However, she is being developed finally--but is the actress up to it? In S04E04 she demonstrated a hint of greater versatility but I'm not yet impressed. We'll see.

Donna has a lot of of unexplored possibilities for character development if they can get off Louis. But who can complain? Louis is an infinite universe unto himself.

Of all of the actors on Suits, Rick Hoffman as Louis Litt impresses me the most. Somehow he takes this part, of a thoroughly un-likeable character and shows you there's a lot more underneath worth a look. I think Hoffman may be as good a character actor as the Hoffman we just recently lost, Poor Dumbass Addict Philip Seymour. (R.I.P.)

Looks like Rachel is going to be on more prominent display this season. Hope she spent some time at the Actors Studio while the show was on hiatus.

Rachel is just so much more than merely her acting skills.

3263998532925163b1ad90b0d30df18c.jpg

OK, I'll cut Rachel (Meghan Markle) some slack. Could be she is a terrific actress with lots of range and depth, but that's not what's called for in this role. She only needs to be semi adorable and pretty and vulnerable and all torn up all the time with the highs and lows of being with Mike. Looks like some plot elements are being introduced in the new series that will require more of her.

I like watching the snappy interplay between Louis and his assistant Katrina. (Amanda Schull) She's sort of a mini-version of Sheila, who must be brought back, I demand it.

Now, when we're considering who are the great young actresses of today, I think first of Tatiana Maslany, who came out of nowhere (well, Canada) to blow our minds playing eight distinctly different clones on Orphan Black. Also most impressive is Adelaide Clemens (Australian, how do they do it!) , who is so fine in Rectify. Then there's Diane Kruger, former fashion model from Germany, who was so good in "Inglourious Basterds", now playing a spaced out Texas cop on The Bridge.

Is Meghan Markle in this league? We shall soon see.

"She's sort of a mini-version of Sheila, who must be brought back, I demand it."

Sheila is played by Rachael Harris. But Harris is a regular on "Surviving Jack" (is that still on or did they cancel it already?), so she might return for later episodes or season 5? All she has to do is telling Louis that she is willing to bear his children, Louis will be overwhelmed with joy and voila: she is back in the show. smile.png

I dont know if this has been recomended yet ,maybe this is where i saw it ,but a series set in Wales called hinterland ,just watched episode 1 really quite good ,its a police drama .4 stories i hr.35mins long .

how were ken and kevin doing?

ken is out of it, as he has been involved with Sexual Harrasment or stuff like that, so he was not in it.

Kevin is out too, same kin of stuff, but with kids I think ??

Gail was there, looking the usual

Tracey Barlow was entertaining as usual...

Liz the barmaid simian charge of the rovers..... I mean the list is endless..

Love Ena Sharples ,how is she doing? on another tack just watched a movie with judie Dench And steve Coogan ,Phillomena about a woman who's son is taken by the church and 50 years later they go looking for him ,sounds boreing but to be honest it was really good ,based on a true story 8/10

Gosh sorry to disappoint you but Ena is not in it any more, nor is Minnie Coldwell, or Stan Ogden...

Tracey is up to her usual..

As for,that film "Philomenia" I saw it last month it's excellent.. Loved it....

• Like 1

Watched "The Railway Man" on Saturday. Enjoyable movie. Good performance by Firth struggling with the horrors of being an ex-POW. I am also hooked on a Canadian TV series "The Murdoch Mysteries" that I came across by chance. It's not 'edge of the seat' drama but entertaining. I just downloaded Fargo s1 because I really liked the movie....I'm a bit of a Coen fan. So, I'll see if the series is as good as the movie.

I had not heard of the Murdoch Mysteries before, though I like a lot of Canadian stuff. It is into Season 8!

In the 1890s, William Murdoch uses radical forensic techniques for the time, including fingerprinting and trace evidence, to solve some of the city's most gruesome murders.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091909/

Season 8 hasn't started yet. I'm still watching season 7. Apparently, season 8 kicks off in the "fall", and I presume that is September. This is the 1st Canadian show I've watched so now I'll look around for some more.

I noticed, looking back over this post, that some members watched the "Bridge US." If you really liked that show, I would recommend "The Tunnel" which is the British/French version of the same story.

Talking about British stuff, I also recommend "Wallander" with Kenneth Branagh [actually, if you can hack reading sub-titles, the Swedish version is even better] and "Endeavour" [stories based around a young Inspector Morse].

Also recommend 3 Millennium movies [The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest]. These are the full Swedish versions, though they are hard-dubbed in English. Much superior to the US/Swedish movie with Daniel Craig.

Have a good day

• Like 1

Have just finished season 2 of Case Histories which I really enjoyed.

Watched season 1 last year and have been waiting for season 2 and

it doesn't disappoint.

As usual from a BBC production, realistic plots and not played by people who

just looked as if they came of the catwalk.

I'm a bit biased though as I really like the lead Jason Isaacs.

If you haven't see Brotherhood, give it a crack.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457229/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

From Amazon UK: Any television drama that gives Jason Isaacs a lead role instantly warrants

some kind of attention. And with Case Histories, there’s more than just the leading man to warrant the attention.

While on the surface, it might look like just another detective series, there are a couple of choices that make it just a little bit more intriguing.

This is, in short, quality drama, well executed and very well played.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Histories-Series-1-DVD/dp/B004SP0BYI/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__text_y

• Like 1

Have just finished season 2 of Case Histories which I really enjoyed.

Watched season 1 last year and have been waiting for season 2 and

it doesn't disappoint.

Thanks for the heads up KhunWill, I enjoyed season 1 of this show.

Based on the novels of Kate Atkinson

• Like 1

So whilst killing time last night, I bunged on "Sabotage", it's the Governator's latest film where he plays the head DEA agent of a Special Op's taskforce. It bases itself around a Mexican Cartel drug bust worth $10million, things don't go quite to plan and the Cartel believes that the DEA stole the cash, the DEA believes the Special Op's team stole the cash but all is not as it seems.

A few twists in the plot, must say Sam Worthington must have had to double his body weight for that role! He's <deleted> huge! The Governator's looking past his prime (roid's will probably do that to you) but still can hold his own.

Fairly decent movie, I'll give it a 6/10, I take 1 point off for not enough decent looking women.

• Like 1

I don't usually do negative reviews, because I could alienate another member who thinks that show is great. However...I just tried out s01, e01 of a mess called Graceland. Picture this: Some drug dealer's fabulous "Socal" beachfront bachelor pad is confiscated under the very flawed RICO law, and is turned into what amounts to almost a frat house for young studs and a couple of stud-ettes from: DEA, FBI, ICE, and maybe one other tentacle of the National Security State I've forgotten. Everybody's got their own room, they're all undercover (except to each other, of course), and they've got an older "Charlie's Angel" type boss, played by the unpopular flaky detective from The Shield. Daniel Sunjata, the worst actor from the great show Rescue Me, is the star. (you remember, the one ladies would wet themselves over, as he spun lines like, "Ah'm Porta Reekin', you godda problem wid dat?") He's sort of a heterosexual Sal Mineo who spends a lot of time surfing, "scoring", and hitting the gym. He's a burnt out FBI guy who flipped out in some case, but he's so cool and brilliant (hah!) they let him do his own thing. A fresh young Quantico recruit is sent out to be mentored by him, but has secret orders to spy on him. Think: Training Day, or that other movie where Ryan Phillipe spies on the mole played by the great Chris Cooper.

Ridiculous on every level. Made even more so as they claim in the opening credits that there was or is such a house or houses in California, where such cartoonish characters reside, as roomies. If this is your favorite show, please don't be offended. There's a nut for every bolt.

I prefer cop shows where the cops all have deep problems, like the old Hill Street crew, or Helen Mirren (sigh) in Prime Suspect, David Tennant in Broadchurch, or any of the cast in Line of Duty. World weary, getting old, dealing with budget cuts, finding that the world is now barbaric beyond understanding. Somewhat like real life.

• Like 1

The Strain

New Vampire horror series first episode just out.

Supposedly pretty extreme, not watched it yet.

Wow. This one looks good. I just watched the first episode and was very impressed. It is about vampires, but so far, a new spin on it.

I don't usually do negative reviews, because I could alienate another member who thinks that show is great. However...I just tried out s01, e01 of a mess called Graceland.

I watched the first few episodes and was not impressed enough to keep watching it, but a few people with pretty good taste have highly recommended it lately.

I guess when it comes to just being entertained, we all have our weak spots. There are several shows that other people have panned on this thread, that I don't love, but I do like and I still watch them when something better is not available.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't usually do negative reviews, because I could alienate another member who thinks that show is great. However...I just tried out s01, e01 of a mess called Graceland. Picture this: Some drug dealer's fabulous "Socal" beachfront bachelor pad is confiscated under the very flawed RICO law, and is turned into what amounts to almost a frat house for young studs and a couple of stud-ettes from: DEA, FBI, ICE, and maybe one other tentacle of the National Security State I've forgotten. Everybody's got their own room, they're all undercover (except to each other, of course), and they've got an older "Charlie's Angel" type boss, played by the unpopular flaky detective from The Shield. Daniel Sunjata, the worst actor from the great show Rescue Me, is the star. (you remember, the one ladies would wet themselves over, as he spun lines like, "Ah'm Porta Reekin', you godda problem wid dat?") He's sort of a heterosexual Sal Mineo who spends a lot of time surfing, "scoring", and hitting the gym. He's a burnt out FBI guy who flipped out in some case, but he's so cool and brilliant (hah!) they let him do his own thing. A fresh young Quantico recruit is sent out to be mentored by him, but has secret orders to spy on him. Think: Training Day, or that other movie where Ryan Phillipe spies on the mole played by the great Chris Cooper.

Ridiculous on every level. Made even more so as they claim in the opening credits that there was or is such a house or houses in California, where such cartoonish characters reside, as roomies. If this is your favorite show, please don't be offended. There's a nut for every bolt.

I prefer cop shows where the cops all have deep problems, like the old Hill Street crew, or Helen Mirren (sigh) in Prime Suspect, David Tennant in Broadchurch, or any of the cast in Line of Duty. World weary, getting old, dealing with budget cuts, finding that the world is now barbaric beyond understanding. Somewhat like real life.

I hope you like episode 2 better Frank J tongue.png

I'll have to give it a look

Just watched the eighth and final episode of Old School. A mild cliffhanger leaves the door open for another run, in which perhaps Lenny (Bryan Brown) and Ted (Sam Neill) partner up again, perhaps in a PI business. It was amusing to see Lenny constantly violating his parole by drinking beer at the pub. But, this being Australia, maybe drinking beer every day is a national requirement?

Very enjoyable series. Hope they do it again.

• Like 1

Liked the summary and characterization! I am a bit relieved. I watched the first episode and later came across some comments about the show (all being very positive) and I thought: "Am I the only one who thinks this is, lets say, not a very convincing concept?".

What a contrast to "Line of Duty"! That is what I would call an interesting and multi-dimensional and even realistic cop show (although I partially hated the characters in series 1 for what they did to the suspect). Series 2 I liked even better as the right person went down this time. I was pleasantly surprised that the BBC commissioned two further series of this show. Highly recommendable IMHO, but I agree: others might see it exactly the other way round.

Best current TV Show, has to be a tie between GAME OF THRONES and HOUSE OF CARDS.

Both fantastic, very very different but both just thoroughly enjoyable viewing.

I think HOUSE OF CARDS probably shades it if i had to pick one, really is tremendous

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the latest series of Suits. I'll suspend disbelief on the speed with which the handsome brother (Jeff Malone, well played by D.B. Woodside) from the SEC waltzes in the Pearson Specter and tells Jessica and Harvey that his agency will be investigating several of the firm's clients for trading improprieties, and then, says he wants to quit the SEC and come to work for P/S. This seems more than a shade unethical, but not only do they hire him, he is made a Senior Partner the very next day, after agreeing to quit his affair with babe-a-licious Jessica, the Boss. A strong start to the season, if improbable.

Wonder when this trend will end: On this show we have yet another otherwise well-dressed and well-groomed character walking around with a three day growth of whiskers, including all the way down his neck. You see this on just about every show. Is this a real phenomenon out in today's corporate world? I mean, you can sort of understand it on a cop show, they're mostly underpaid bums anyway, (no offense to you ex-police!) but in uptown law offices? And then there was Dr. House, who always had that look, like he just woke up from a massive bender, and wants someone else to hurt as bad as he does. Don Johnson started this look years ago on Miami Vice. I'm surprised it's still happening. Is it just a TV/movie thing, or is that the world today? Do girls really want to kiss a guy that's going to to damage to her tender places?

• Like 1