Does any bank in Thailand currently offer an API?

I am trying to find out if there is any bank in Thailand that currently offers an Open API at least for SME's, but preferably for individuals as well.  Everyone has internet banking, but screen scraping an iBanking website is a real chore, doesn't always work, and often times is made impossible through various 2FA schemes.

All I need for this application is just the ability to get informed of deposits and withdraws in near real time. I know some people have tried to develop personal finance apps to do this by watching SMS notifications, but this seems like a horribly inefficient way of accomplishing the task. If anyone knows of a bank offering an API already, please let me know. I know I will just get blank stares if I try to ask the banks about this directly.

Thanks for any assistance.

Re. "the ability to get informed of deposits and withdraws in near real time",  I use K Bank, and all transactions and resulting balances are notified by SMS to my phone. I recall requesting this feature somewhere online I think. Other banks do the same already. I believe SCB have just linked up with LINE for such notifications to cut costs. I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

I'm trying to develop a financial app that has immediate access to bank balances, and I am looking for a bank that this will work with. The problem is that SMS's are not guaranteed to always be delivered promptly and always in order. Further, SMS to email gateways that would be needed to make something work like this for online servers are less than reliable, and often fail under larger transaction volumes.

I am looking for a way that a server can access bank details through an API and be able to see transactions in an account in near real time. SMS is a very clumsy solution to the problem. So is screen scraping an iBanking screen.

5 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I'm trying to develop a financial app that has immediate access to bank balances, and I am looking for a bank that this will work with. The problem is that SMS's are not guaranteed to always be delivered promptly and always in order. Further, SMS to email gateways that would be needed to make something work like this for online servers are less than reliable, and often fail under larger transaction volumes.

I am looking for a way that a server can access bank details through an API and be able to see transactions in an account in near real time. SMS is a very clumsy solution to the problem. So is screen scraping an iBanking screen.

Don't understand this, with my K-Bank ebanking I have real time access to all my accounts.

12 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I understand the technical aspects of what you are planning but don't know who your app will be aimed at, or why it will be better than the banks own apps etc.   Care to elaborate?

SCB has an API   as referenced in this article - https://www.blognone.com/node/101036

Omise has one that talks to all the banks, so that might help you - https://www.omise.co/supported-banks

19 hours ago, seancbk said:

I understand the technical aspects of what you are planning but don't know who your app will be aimed at, or why it will be better than the banks own apps etc.   Care to elaborate?

To me it sounds like he is running a web shop (maybe just virtual goods) or something similar and when a customer pays for his order he wants to change the status of the order "paid" automatically (or in case of virtual good send the item to the customer directly)

1 hour ago, jackdd said:
21 hours ago, seancbk said:

To me it sounds like he is running a web shop (maybe just virtual goods) or something similar and when a customer pays for his order he wants to change the status of the order "paid" automatically (or in case of virtual good send the item to the customer directly)

Perhaps, although I don't think so in this case.    If he was doing an ecommerce store, he would simply use a payment gateway and the gateway would provide all the functionality he's looking for.  

I think it's something else.   But as he's not been back to the thread we don't have an answer yet.

On 6.5.2018 at 10:31 AM, Monomial said:

Hi. 

Looking at how clumsy the setup for (internet) banking is in Thailand, and the amount of cash and otc transactions, I would be quite surprised if any of the banks would have an API set up for customers. I know it is going to be a nearly compulsory service for banks in Europe very soon (due to PSD2), but honestly the banking infrastructure in Thailand is not ready for API services yet, nor is there any demand for it either. They won't build it on current technology and will not upgrade until security issues force them to, or there is sufficient demand and usage for the services or.

You might revisit this issue in around 5 years or so.

Archived