Proof on onward travel with SETV

Can proof of onward travel at the departing airport, include a bus ticket ?. ( all posts seem to stipulate flights.. )

eg ; I have already booked my flight leaving Brisbane mid December but had to sign a waiver through flight center that i’ve been informed that i require onward travel tickets. 

I will be entering 'visa exempt' at Samui. So 30 days should do it before i decide to go to PI. or get an extension.

So, my question is.. Can i show any inquiring qantas staff member (leaving Brisbane) that i have 'proof' of onward travel with a Bus ticket to Malaysia for example ?

On 5/14/2018 at 10:50 AM, BigT73 said:

Rotating with work back home 4mnths at a time and getting continous METV visas,  I have noticed the bar is slightly raised every year over the last 5yrs.  Started with proof of funds 8k aud with bank letter,  then proof of onward ticket, now proof of accom and you sign a part that as a tourist you will not work here.  I think the goverment has acknowledged the loopholes tourist visa expats were using with the Laos border runs.  But if you satisfy the requirements you shouldnt be denied a visa in your home country.  Bkk immigration havent asked or need to,  for any proof of docs/funds/tickets as I wouldnt have recieved my METV without the supporting documents in the first place.

Exactly, they keep asking for more and more things every year when applying for a METV. Wonder what else they're gonna ask for on top next year for a METV...

3 hours ago, JoePera said:

So I'm flying out in a few days on Asiana for my first Thailand trip (USA to BKK). I booked the airfare on a whim, and drunk me didn't bother to research the SETV's 60 day limit.

Given that my roundtrip airfare is for 75 days, would this likely cause the consulate/airline/immigration to deny my visa/boarding/entry? That is, assuming that I didn't come prepared with proof of onward travel.

I plan to get the 30 day extension once over there, but I'm unsure if all the necessary parties would approve of my itinerary beforehand.

No flight is necessary to show to enter with a valid Tourist Visa (only if entering under the Visa-Exempt scheme).  The problem, is that the IOs at Bangkok immigration don't care what the rules/laws say, which is why this has come up as an issue. 

But - Good News - as this is your first trip to Thailand, and the IOs are targeting those who come more frequently and stay longer with their made-up rules, this should not affect you.

1 hour ago, chaingman said:

Can proof of onward travel at the departing airport, include a bus ticket ?. ( all posts seem to stipulate flights.. )

eg ; I have already booked my flight leaving Brisbane mid December but had to sign a waiver through flight center that i’ve been informed that i require onward travel tickets. 

I will be entering 'visa exempt' at Samui. So 30 days should do it before i decide to go to PI. or get an extension.

So, my question is.. Can i show any inquiring qantas staff member (leaving Brisbane) that i have 'proof' of onward travel with a Bus ticket to Malaysia for example ?

I have never heard of bus-tickets being acceptable to meet the boarding requirements for coming in Visa-Exempt.   A few near-to-Thailand consulates allow them to purchase Tourist Visas, but Visas are issued by the MFA, and Visa-Exempts are issued by Immigration, at their discretion.  A "throw-away" ticket would be necessary to ensure successful boarding, and to show Immigration upon-entry, if requested. 

5 hours ago, JoePera said:

So I'm flying out in a few days on Asiana for my first Thailand trip (USA to BKK). I booked the airfare on a whim, and drunk me didn't bother to research the SETV's 60 day limit.

Given that my roundtrip airfare is for 75 days, would this likely cause the consulate/airline/immigration to deny my visa/boarding/entry? That is, assuming that I didn't come prepared with proof of onward travel.

I plan to get the 30 day extension once over there, but I'm unsure if all the necessary parties would approve of my itinerary beforehand.

It might be an issue when applying for a visa. But many consulates these days seem to accept onward flights over 60 days.

It shouldn’t be a problem for the airline.

Immigration are unlikely to ask to see your onward flight. If they do it’s because they’re looking at possibly denying entry, and a flight out over 60 days might cause a problem. But as it’s your first trip there is almost no chance of that happening.