Any Good Spots For Fishing In Samui?

:o i loves a bit of fishing,whether its sea,lake,river or pond.....i have sniffed all around the island with me travel rod lookin for tempting fish holding spots.....i like the small bridge by the airport that runs into big buddah bay...great fun catchin small perch like fish and then giving em to the watchin thais to eat...for the sake of a bag of kung for bait from the market opposite,you can av a couple of hours mini sport..

i have seen thais and farang on their bikes with rods and kit heading of to their special spots,i know sometimes its cool to keep ya fishing secret locations to yaself,but ive shared mine so come on spill the beans,maybe we could arrange a farang fishing match sometime,small trophy and chang could be arranged. p.s theres a newish fishing shop just opened at the end of my road{soi modyim}which sells most things needed,all well priced.....p.s dont mention topcats,down nr nam muang...mega pricey ,not much caught for 2200 baht inc bait for 6 hours....good selection of elusive fish though!thats about the same price youd pay at an elite carp lake in the uk for 24 hours...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here on Koh P alot of locals fish off the pier at night. I am sure the pier in Samui is the same. The lights attract fish as well as squid and you can catch a fair amt. The squid lure is readily available.

My husband is an avid fisherman but fishes offshore in his dinghy. If ever you need any fishing words in Thai, I am the woman to ask. I am fluent in fishing :o

.p.s dont mention topcats,down nr nam muang...mega pricey ,not much caught for 2200 baht inc bait for 6 hours....good selection of elusive fish though!thats about the same price youd pay at an elite carp lake in the uk for 24 hours...

I thought fishing was about the sport of it, not the actual catching of fish....Although I admit, fishing in a pond is like casting your line in the tank at the local seafood restaurant....

:D i loves a bit of fishing,whether its sea,lake,river or pond.....i have sniffed all around the island with me travel rod lookin for tempting fish holding spots.....i like the small bridge by the airport that runs into big buddah bay...great fun catchin small perch like fish and then giving em to the watchin thais to eat...for the sake of a bag of kung for bait from the market opposite,you can av a couple of hours mini sport..

i have seen thais and farang on their bikes with rods and kit heading of to their special spots,i know sometimes its cool to keep ya fishing secret locations to yaself,but ive shared mine so come on spill the beans,maybe we could arrange a farang fishing match sometime,small trophy and chang could be arranged. p.s theres a newish fishing shop just opened at the end of my road{soi modyim}which sells most things needed,all well priced.....p.s dont mention topcats,down nr nam muang...mega pricey ,not much caught for 2200 baht inc bait for 6 hours....good selection of elusive fish though!thats about the same price youd pay at an elite carp lake in the uk for 24 hours...

I know a few spots :o I also try to organise a few people every now & then for a day or night fishing trips.I love fishing if you are interested PM me .

No I do not run fishing tours or anything like that :D

.p.s dont mention topcats,down nr nam muang...mega pricey ,not much caught for 2200 baht inc bait for 6 hours....good selection of elusive fish though!thats about the same price youd pay at an elite carp lake in the uk for 24 hours...

I thought fishing was about the sport of it, not the actual catching of fish....Although I admit, fishing in a pond is like casting your line in the tank at the local seafood restaurant....

catching the fish is the sport!!!!if you dont catch maybe you could call it ,watching or pondering or just holding fishing tackle! when i say pond,i mean at least half the size of a footy pitch not tank! :o

me and 2 friends been looking for a while. can catch small grouper off the rocks in chong mon at high tide. Big ferry pier at Bangrak seems popular and lit up at night, loads of people fishing off it bith thai and farang .

would be interested in any freshwater spots for pla chon. always a few people fishing the lakes in Bophut but I bet there are some real gems hidden away somewhere. Maybe we should all team up to stock a pond full of pla chon. get yer girlfriends to release the fish from the market there instead of the temples. what ya think!? or is that sacrelidge? (spelling)

me and 2 friends been looking for a while. can catch small grouper off the rocks in chong mon at high tide. Big ferry pier at Bangrak seems popular and lit up at night, loads of people fishing off it bith thai and farang .

would be interested in any freshwater spots for pla chon. always a few people fishing the lakes in Bophut but I bet there are some real gems hidden away somewhere. Maybe we should all team up to stock a pond full of pla chon. get yer girlfriends to release the fish from the market there instead of the temples. what ya think!? or is that sacrelidge? (spelling)

[/

wherabouts in bophut are these lakes?what is caught there?....id love to beat a carp rod far into chaweng central lake ,as ive seen good fish topping....do you reckon id get arrested though? good idea about stocking a lake!...id buy a few... :o

Obviously you have never been fishing in a pond, there is nothing easy about catching fish if they don't want to be caught.

What is the difference between the "sport of it" and catching the fish?

After you catch it you have two options, if you are there just for the "sport of it" then you catch and release. If not, you catch, keep and cook. I prefer the latter.

What exactly is this emoticon supposed to be doing? Is he doing what I think he's doing?

:o

I know a really good place that has lots and lots of fish. It's a big lake by some big temple in Bang Rak. You don't even need a rod and reel, just throw some bread crumbs in and then get the fish out with a dip net. Very easy! I do it 2 or 3 times a week.

I know a really good place that has lots and lots of fish. It's a big lake by some big temple in Bang Rak. You don't even need a rod and reel, just throw some bread crumbs in and then get the fish out with a dip net. Very easy! I do it 2 or 3 times a week.

:o you best beware of the machete yielding monks then!

:D you best beware of the machete yielding monks then!

You don't suppose it might have something to do with fishing at a temple? :o

:D you best beware of the machete yielding monks then!

You don't suppose it might have something to do with fishing at a temple? :o

What? Are these like spirit fish or something? Spirish? They taste just the same to me!

I figure I am helping them out as that pond is way too overcrowded, those fish are starving. I have some good recipes is anyone needs them to deep fry catfish.

Are any of you guys interested in starting a TV fishing club? If so let's work something out.

Sounds like a good idea................

Also,

Just got a boat, so if peeps wanna chip in for fuel........................

Shore fishing

Best places are off the rocks, first bungalow in chaweng is ok, also chong mon on left side of beach, it's easy to get to the rocks, not too much climbing.

You need to go at high tide tho.

I was using soft plastics the other day and had a few small hexagon grouper.

What we need to do is find somewhere to get livebait, then you'll catch better fish.

Need to get matey with a prawn farm owner!!

Are any of you guys interested in starting a TV fishing club? If so let's work something out.

Also,

Shore fishing

Best places are off the rocks, first bungalow in chaweng is ok, also chong mon on left side of beach, it's easy to get to the rocks, not too much climbing.

What we need to do is find somewhere to get livebait, then you'll catch better fish.

I've been out fishing with Thai's and they use a red light to pull the squid to the surface and then net them and then use them for bait to catch the real fish. I don't know if it can be done from shore or off pier or not but I bet you could buy some squid off a fisherman.

Yeah on a boat they use lights to bring the squid in. Live squid is candy to fish, it's an excellant bait.

The problem is keeping them alive. If your on a boat it's ok, you can keep them in a livewell.

Shorefishing though you couldn't use them as they will not keep in a bucket. They attack each other and squirt ink and then die. It's hard enough keeping them alive in a livewell.

I seriously think getting some live prawns from a prawn farm would be great. Prawns are easy to keep also.

I have seen mantis shrimp alive at the fish market, they would be a good bait, pricey though.

Live prawns fished under a float off the rocks would be pretty deadly I reckon.

Also,

Shore fishing

That's not a problem womble.They also have the fishing competition half way through March.Be good to enter A Thai Visa team.I'm already commited but I'm sure some keen people would like to enter.Great fun.

best place i have found is near thung krut, come from lamai end into the village go all the way through after about 1 km at x roads turn left then next left old navy place goes about 200 metres into the sea. great spot lots of locals there fishing as well.

Also,

Shore fishing

Hi Womble, what boat did you get?? Any photos to share with us?

Live mantis shrimp are a very poor bait. They are too spiky, just try holding a live one for a few seconds! Live white shrimp I would guess to be a great bait.

When it gets calm I like to run out to the FADs to catch the best live baits. Plaa thu, plaa kraw and sardines are easy to take near the surface using a small sabiki rig. These fish are way easier than live squid to keep alive.I have some plaa kraw in my livebait tank that are still going strong after being in there for 3 weeks already. Just need to remember to feed them!! Tied on to the FAD you can catch dolphin,tuna, mackerel and billfish.

From koh Tao the nearest FADs are only 6 miles out, maybe the same from Samui heading north east into the deeper water?

Also,

Shore fishing

Hi Womble, what boat did you get?? Any photos to share with us?

Live mantis shrimp are a very poor bait. They are too spiky, just try holding a live one for a few seconds! Live white shrimp I would guess to be a great bait.

When it gets calm I like to run out to the FADs to catch the best live baits. Plaa thu, plaa kraw and sardines are easy to take near the surface using a small sabiki rig. These fish are way easier than live squid to keep alive.I have some plaa kraw in my livebait tank that are still going strong after being in there for 3 weeks already. Just need to remember to feed them!! Tied on to the FAD you can catch dolphin,tuna, mackerel and billfish.

From koh Tao the nearest FADs are only 6 miles out, maybe the same from Samui heading north east into the deeper water?

The boat is a 16ft catamaran, no pics at moment, but it'll be in the water in a couple of days, i'll stick a pic up when it's in the water. It's small but fast, 40 mph+, also a pretty stable platform being multihulled. It also has extra fuel tanks, over 100L in total, so has a range over 150 miles, although you wouldn't want to stary to far from shore being only a small boat.

The plan is to fish Ang Thong where it is sheltered, we can camp out or stay in the bungalows and have enough fuel for a few days.

I'm not sure where the FADS are around samui if there are any. The water here is extremely shallow, unlike Koh Tao where is id deeper. Here you have to go 25+ miles to get to anything over 15m!

If we get a clear spell we may come to Koh Tao for a few days, what price is the fuel there? The FADS sound fun, would like to check them out.

Which tuna do you get and what size? I'm guessing skipjacks only correct, no YFT? Also what size are the dorado?

So mantis shrimp are no good then, I won't waste my money on them then...........

Better get matey with a shrimp farm owner then on samui.........

Better still find out where the best spots to get livebait are, and get yer bait for free.

best place i have found is near thung krut, come from lamai end into the village go all the way through after about 1 km at x roads turn left then next left old navy place goes about 200 metres into the sea. great spot lots of locals there fishing as well.

Went there yesterday with some friends. A great spot. Loads of fish jumping.

However was warned against fishing there at night as its allegedly ''where the mafia dump bodies in the sea''!?!? :o

Make of that what you will.....

However was warned against fishing there at night as its allegedly ''where the mafia dump bodies in the sea''!?!? :D

Don't go there at night.I fish there & I have a wild cast :o

However was warned against fishing there at night as its allegedly ''where the mafia dump bodies in the sea''!?!? :D

new job 4 u roo!.....search and retrieve coastguard!p.s watch the movie"the guardian"for ideas

new job 4 u roo!.....search and retrieve coastguard!p.s watch the movie"the guardian"for ideas

Taking it on board for serious consideration right now.Will give you my code name later shhhh.

''wherabouts in bophut are these lakes?what is caught there?....id love to beat a carp rod far into chaweng central lake ,as ive seen good fish topping....do you reckon id get arrested though? ''

Meatgrowler...

To get to the little Lakes in Bophut, coming from maenam, go through the traffic lights at Fishermans village, after about 200m you'll see a sign for the Nature House, turn right here. Theres 3 lakes on this road. Theres often Thais fishing both the first lake on the right and the bigger one on the left a few hundred metres up. Expect they have pla chon in although have fished the first one a couple of times with no joy. Seen them come up to the surface though.

Dont know who owns it but havent had any problems. have seen both farang and thais fishing the bigger lake but havent had a bash at that one yet.

Womans underwear optional though not recommended.

Very sorry to see Thaivisa's best ever thread disapear off the screen.

So a new hot spot must be green rock near Koh Nang Yuan,Koh Tao,

I took a 30lb king makka there this morning, very exciting fight. Took shed loads of line early doors then came back and was <deleted> around under the boat for ages. Went round my bottom fished livie line as well so some interesting tangles at the gaffing stage (fishing alone).bait- dead ribbonfish(rigged with 4 tiny No13 hooks - 43lb Malin trace), 10 meters under a float in 40 meters of water. No interest in the live bait today, although a sail ar marlin was trying to nail it- I could see the fin and beak breaking water but no hits, poor little baitfish was nervous and too fast!

Womble, if you are coming this way, PM me.