Any Good Spots For Fishing In Samui?

Very sorry to see Thaivisa's best ever thread disapear off the screen.

So a new hot spot must be green rock near Koh Nang Yuan,Koh Tao,

I took a 30lb king makka there this morning, very exciting fight. Took shed loads of line early doors then came back and was <deleted> around under the boat for ages. Went round my bottom fished livie line as well so some interesting tangles at the gaffing stage (fishing alone).bait- dead ribbonfish(rigged with 4 tiny No13 hooks - 43lb Malin trace), 10 meters under a float in 40 meters of water. No interest in the live bait today, although a sail ar marlin was trying to nail it- I could see the fin and beak breaking water but no hits, poor little baitfish was nervous and too fast!

Womble, if you are coming this way, PM me.

Ribbonfish..........

The best King macker bait known to man........

It catches the majority of the 30lb+ fish worldwide.

Also to many competition fishers in US it is the ONLY bait.

I've been tying 3 and 4 hook traces with a weighted jighead as the lead hook with a further two or three trebles down the rig all weeklong ready to use as the boat goes in the water tomorrow.

Woo Hoo.......

I'll defo give you a shout Mark if I come over your way.......

Edited by womble

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this nice sized red snapper on me n wombles boat yesterday...

About 150 metres out into the sea between koh som (?) and sila evason resort. :o

fairplay ta ya every,nice fish.......was the beast barbecued or returned ?if cooked, how did ya cook it,what sauce etc,what was the deal with womble...share the fuel and catch?....thanks for sharing the photo

I got this nice sized red snapper on me n wombles boat yesterday...

About 150 metres out into the sea between koh som (?) and sila evason resort. :D

fairplay ta ya every,nice fish.......was the beast barbecued or returned ?if cooked, how did ya cook it,what sauce etc,what was the deal with womble...share the fuel and catch?....thanks for sharing the photo

Thanks Growler!

Yeah I was chuffed to bits, after 10 days+ fishin from the rocks around samui and catching sweet FA was a nice change to get out on a boat and catch stuff! Got quite a few that day but this one was the best by far. Maybe 5 kgs?

Me and Womble are good mates from UK so we split the cost of the boat from the start.

If I am honest the fish had some sort of skin disease on its head so didnt look too appetising (to me anyway)... however, we had hired a thai captain for the day to point us out the dangerous rocks, best fishin spots etc and he was all too happy to take it home to his missus. donno how she cooked it though.

Luckily also caught a nice size grouper which Womble's Missus fried up for us with garlic and chilli and a side order of phak put namman hoi. Delicious!

:o

Edited by everydaysthesame

Nice job lads!!

Did you ask your captain where the closest FADs(sang) from Samui are? Off Koh Tao they are on fire right now.

Had 2 black marlins before lunch day before yesterday and had to head back at 1pm too knackered for any more. Tuna everywhere breaking the surface, and some huge explosions when the tuna were being whacked by the marlin. I have booking for tomorrow so weather permitting will head back out there.

Nice job lads!!

Did you ask your captain where the closest FADs(sang) from Samui are? Off Koh Tao they are on fire right now.

Had 2 black marlins before lunch day before yesterday and had to head back at 1pm too knackered for any more. Tuna everywhere breaking the surface, and some huge explosions when the tuna were being whacked by the marlin. I have booking for tomorrow so weather permitting will head back out there.

jeeez christ jaid...ive gotta get back ta samui quick....this is hardcore angling by the sounds of it,you would get front page on sea angler back here in the uk with these marlin,sounds like you were totally avin it off....were they guffers? how many kilo?do ya have any photos to share?......certainly kicks the ass outta my bass fishin off portland, dorset!....i dream of hookin marlin and tuna,even barracuda......who do you book with and how much?p.s does fads mean..a fishing mark?

Nice job lads!!

Hmmmm, major oil leak and thats me out of action for a while. Have to take the boat back to Chumphon(again,again,again) for another engine repair. The joys of owning a boat.

Just looking at a map of the gulf, it looks like you have some deep water to the east and north east of Samui. I'd be very surprised if you had to run more than 10 miles until you start seeing the FADs ( don't confuse them with the much smaller crab or squid trap markers.FADs are made of several huge bamboos tied together and will normally have a palm frond tied to the bamboos so they are very visible.Looking under the water you will see palm fronds and your fish finder should be going ballistic). Koh Tao is a long run when you probably have loads of them close by Samui.

Sorry no pics from the other day.I don't own a camera!

Nice job lads!!

Sounds like good fishing!!!

Havn't enquired about FADS (fish aggregation device) yet, but will certainly do so, it'd be nice to have some of those closer to home, also if they are only 10 or so miles away, that won't take long the speed our thing flies at. All the water around samui is green, it'd be nice to find out where the closest blue water is, to the north it is about 1/4 of the way to KT past KPG, not exactly sure what it is to the east, we'll have to explore although this wind is becoming a pain in such a small boat as it makes it difficult to get out any distance.

What size the Marlins?

Nice job lads!!

Sounds like good fishing!!!

Havn't enquired about FADS (fish aggregation device) yet, but will certainly do so, it'd be nice to have some of those closer to home, also if they are only 10 or so miles away, that won't take long the speed our thing flies at. All the water around samui is green, it'd be nice to find out where the closest blue water is, to the north it is about 1/4 of the way to KT past KPG, not exactly sure what it is to the east, we'll have to explore although this wind is becoming a pain in such a small boat as it makes it difficult to get out any distance.

What size the Marlins?

Very small. Didn't weigh them but they were about 60lbs. Does that still count as a billfish??

Hmmmm, major oil leak and thats me out of action for a while. Have to take the boat back to Chumphon(again,again,again) for another engine repair. The joys of owning a boat.

My dad says a boat is a hole in the water in to which you pour money :o

true and not true,after binnning my ropey my old johnson engine,a brand new mariner outboard was bought,problem free for 3 years already......end of the day,the fibreglass boat itself is basically a floating fishpond,trouble free!...always ensure ya engines good...regularly service!!!!.....i wouldnt fancy bobbing around off ko tao for few days powerless.....dont see too many rescue helicopters in thailand or r.n.l.i

They say the best two days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it..............

60lb, thats pretty small, but a marlin none the less........

true and not true,after binnning my ropey my old johnson engine,a brand new mariner outboard was bought,problem free for 3 years already......end of the day,the fibreglass boat itself is basically a floating fishpond,trouble free!...always ensure ya engines good...regularly service!!!!.....i wouldnt fancy bobbing around off ko tao for few days powerless.....dont see too many rescue helicopters in thailand or r.n.l.i

Could U explain what r.n.l.i. stand for?

Saw a sign for the Fishing Tournament on Samui, 15-18 March if I remember correctly. Anyway, for anyone one interested, there is a big sign on the main road in Nathon just outside the Police Station, before the tesco express. Phone numbers and all.

Finally got the spare engine part I needed on the 23rd. Took ages cos the shop in Bkk was closed for the chinese new year.

Fishing has been fantastic since then. Afternoon of 23rd nice marlin and a couple of tuna. Yesterday out with 2 customers, Johnny and Tina from Sweden. Johnny really wanted a marlin but it didn't happen. He got a bull dolphin, 6.4k mack on the livies and dozens of smaller fish on the feathers. This morning another dolphin and a much bigger marlin. Tomorrow Johnny and Tina are out again. Tina has already taken some great photos of the dolphin and hopefully tomorrow we can nail that marlin.I'll post the photos up so those of you who can't get out fishing can enjoy.

Very interesting yesterday how many boats were out netting the plaa thuu. Never seen so many, so much for closed season. Today the military ship was anchored outside Sairee and no netters to be seen!

Have you been out much Womble - any luck?

Finally got the spare engine part I needed on the 23rd. Took ages cos the shop in Bkk was closed for the chinese new year.

Fishing has been fantastic since then. Afternoon of 23rd nice marlin and a couple of tuna. Yesterday out with 2 customers, Johnny and Tina from Sweden. Johnny really wanted a marlin but it didn't happen. He got a bull dolphin, 6.4k mack on the livies and dozens of smaller fish on the feathers. This morning another dolphin and a much bigger marlin. Tomorrow Johnny and Tina are out again. Tina has already taken some great photos of the dolphin and hopefully tomorrow we can nail that marlin.I'll post the photos up so those of you who can't get out fishing can enjoy.

Very interesting yesterday how many boats were out netting the plaa thuu. Never seen so many, so much for closed season. Today the military ship was anchored outside Sairee and no netters to be seen!

your the boy jaidam....fair play ta ya ...lookin forward ta seein the phots....being cheeky,any chance of a days fishin with ya sometime? will pay my way of course...come in womble,what ya caught!!!

Thinking about it now should be a good time to catch big pelagics, I know people say November is the best time, but it is now that the Pla Tu arrive in Ang Thong region, surely the bigger stuff follows. So it makes perfect sense that there are Marlin around.

Unfortunatley the water around Samui is too shallow, nearest point here to get a chance at Marlin would be sail rock which is a fair distance away. Marine park is also very shallow, there should be sailfish there, but it's too shallow for Marlin. I know for a fact marine park is full of queenfish and Mackerel, also net fishing is not allowed there, only fishing with rod and line is allowed. I think the marine park is one of the best protected areas of water in Thailand unfortunatley I have also heard that a few boats are paying officals to turn a blind eye to illegal fishing practises. I have heard from local Thai's that they expect the fishing to deteriorate there due to the boats taking too many fish.

What a shame.

I havn't been out fishing for a while, been away for a week fishing somewhere else in Thailand, there's also a small problem with our engine that needs fixing, so might not get out till end of the week.

So far we have caught some groupers and a couple of stingray, been bitten off a couple of times, but have yet to land anything over a couple of kilos.

Would love to get over to Koh Tao, we can take enough fuel to get there, but it would have to be a flat calm day.

Please make sure you take a camera with you on future trips, as i'd love to see some snaps of the marlin. What tuna are you catching, and what size? any YFT? or is it just skipjacks? I've only ever seen very small skipjacks in the market. Also what size was the dorado?

Thinking about it now should be a good time to catch big pelagics, I know people say November is the best time, but it is now that the Pla Tu arrive in Ang Thong region, surely the bigger stuff follows. So it makes perfect sense that there are Marlin around.

Unfortunatley the water around Samui is too shallow, nearest point here to get a chance at Marlin would be sail rock which is a fair distance away. Marine park is also very shallow, there should be sailfish there, but it's too shallow for Marlin. I know for a fact marine park is full of queenfish and Mackerel, also net fishing is not allowed there, only fishing with rod and line is allowed. I think the marine park is one of the best protected areas of water in Thailand unfortunatley I have also heard that a few boats are paying officals to turn a blind eye to illegal fishing practises. I have heard from local Thai's that they expect the fishing to deteriorate there due to the boats taking too many fish.

What a shame.

I havn't been out fishing for a while, been away for a week fishing somewhere else in Thailand, there's also a small problem with our engine that needs fixing, so might not get out till end of the week.

So far we have caught some groupers and a couple of stingray, been bitten off a couple of times, but have yet to land anything over a couple of kilos.

Would love to get over to Koh Tao, we can take enough fuel to get there, but it would have to be a flat calm day.

Please make sure you take a camera with you on future trips, as i'd love to see some snaps of the marlin. What tuna are you catching, and what size? any YFT? or is it just skipjacks? I've only ever seen very small skipjacks in the market. Also what size was the dorado?

Well Johnny got his marlin today. 3 misses and then a hookup on the 4th try, all within 30 minutes late afternoon. Also 5 dolphin and 2 tuna. All fish were small. Tuna to 2k, dolphin 4k and the marlin I guess to be between 15 and 20k. Very nice fight though. It took about 400 meters of 40lb, lots of jumps (some caught by Tina on film) and then near the end of the fight it actually jumped into the boat and poked me. After giving me a bloody shin it flipped back over. Tina got a photo of it about to break the surface as it was about to take revenge.

Dolphin were lots of fun on light spinning gear, and at one stage a marlin came chasing under the boat trying to catch a small dolphin.

I just wrote a long post about tuna in the gulf but it somehow dissapeared, and too tired to try again now. Going to go after for some macks tomorrow morning, those big live plaa thu should be just the ticket.

Pulled this leopard catfish out of Topcats recently. Not always my cup of tea in the snese that I guess I prefer natural lakes/rivers but still, it's a great buzz when you catch a nice one.

nice moggy somchai.....did ya see the photos of the big leopard cat that they have in there?they reckon is a world record for its species...apparrently bought from 1 of the thai kings palace ponds...i know what you mean about it being like a stock pond! well pricey too.....keep catchin

Pulled this leopard catfish out of Topcats recently. Not always my cup of tea in the snese that I guess I prefer natural lakes/rivers but still, it's a great buzz when you catch a nice one.

I may be a bit mistaken ,the world record cat that they have stocked maybe a NIGER CAT and not a LEOPARD CAT...as i first stated....it has a nick name.....something like alf or similar

I may be a bit mistaken ,the world record cat that they have stocked maybe a NIGER CAT and not a LEOPARD CAT...as i first stated....it has a nick name.....something like alf or similar

Think it's the red tailed leopard called Harry. Even though it may be a world record in weight, somehow it doesn't feel fair to claim it simply because it is no major feat to land it from a lake so small with no snags. Personally I would be more proud of a fish half the size from one of the rivers in S. America where they originate from.

Having said that it is still great to have a lake here with so many large fish in it, unfortunatley for me having tried it a couple of times it's just not for me, I prefer catching fish in natural suroundings. Even if a lot of the time they are much smaller.

Went out casting lures today in Ban Rak I had 7 grouper, the mrs had 6, Everydaysthesame had 1 :o , all fish were small Hexagon grouper. We fished the sand flat near Sabai properties, really nice spot, it was high water at 8am, we got there at 3pm and the sand bank was just starting to show, I reckon that sand bank could be quite productive at high water, especially on springs, you'd need a little dingy to get out there though at that time. We were standing on the sand in knee deep water casting over the rocks that surround it. Sand flats that are close to rock and other features are normally very good as crabs and other food for fish from the rocky areas go onto the sand and fish patrol the sands at high water for easy pickings. I'm hoping to try again at high water and maybe be lucky enough to get a small queenfish or travally. I got bitten off by a fair sized longtom, only had 6lb leader on, swapped to 20lb but couldn't get any more bites so switched back to the lighter leader and the interest picked up again.

All fish were small but this was the most succesful lure fishing trip we have had in Samui so far. We were using small soft plastic grubs with small weighted jig head hooks, 6lb leader and 30lb fireline.

Edited by womble

Think it's the red tailed leopard called Harry. Even though it may be a world record in weight, somehow it doesn't feel fair to claim it simply because it is no major feat to land it from a lake so small with no snags. Personally I would be more proud of a fish half the size from one of the rivers in S. America where they originate from.

Having said that it is still great to have a lake here with so many large fish in it, unfortunatley for me having tried it a couple of times it's just not for me, I prefer catching fish in natural suroundings. Even if a lot of the time they are much smaller.

Went out casting lures today in Ban Rak I had 7 grouper, the mrs had 6, Everydaysthesame had 1 :o , all fish were small Hexagon grouper. We fished the sand flat near Sabai properties, really nice spot, it was high water at 8am, we got there at 3pm and the sand bank was just starting to show, I reckon that sand bank could be quite productive at high water, especially on springs, you'd need a little dingy to get out there though at that time. We were standing on the sand in knee deep water casting over the rocks that surround it. Sand flats that are close to rock and other features are normally very good as crabs and other food for fish from the rocky areas go onto the sand and fish patrol the sands at high water for easy pickings. I'm hoping to try again at high water and maybe be lucky enough to get a small queenfish or travally. I got bitten off by a fair sized longtom, only had 6lb leader on, swapped to 20lb but couldn't get any more bites so switched back to the lighter leader and the interest picked up again.

All fish were small but this was the most succesful lure fishing trip we have had in Samui so far. We were using small soft plastic grubs with small weighted jig head hooks, 6lb leader and 30lb fireline.

fair play ta ya man...keep up the good work....i went beach fishing here in dorset ,u.k the other night,after a force 7 storm...caught school bass upto 3lb using ragworm in the rolling waves 50 yrds out...good scrap...good eating....think id much rather be back in samui fishin where your fishin......how did ya cook ya grouper?