Trikes

Some of us derive great pleasure from building our own bikes. From fabbing a frame, to custom motor work.

You think race teams - car and bike - use as-cast off-the-shelf cylinder heads ? They are the most closely guarded secrets in motorsport engine building. Along with intake manifold design.

But some like to buy a bike, or a car, give money to someone who does it for the love of the sport ...

Think they are called Yuppies - a polite term

We used others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

How do you know how many hot dinners I had, or for that matter how many Harleys or other bikes that I have owned and what I have done to them. You don't know shit about me. 

I am sad to say that it's just people like you and your other pals  that keep me away from the bike forum on TV.. So much vitriol! If you don't like trikes that don't bother commenting. Nobody is interested in your opinions. All bikers have different preferences. Some even like those crotch rockets. It's up to them, I will not comment negatively on anybody who rides on 2 wheels (or 3 for that matter if it's on a big bike), and I will ride with anybody, anytime, and anywhere. Just for the fun of it.

And lets talk about this thing being fast. After all it's 90 kph speed limit here, and I already have a couple of speed tickets for my car. What is the point of having a bike that thrives at 200 and tops over 300+ kph? Is it really that bad to take it easy and ride comfortably and in style, and with a case of beer and BBQ and sausages in the back?

I have to tell you to wake up and smell the oil! Nobody fiddles with the carb jetting and port polishing any more. You can have a crated engine delivered, just slot it in the frame. Either Harley SE120R of 120cid or Jim's tuned 131cid. Sure it costs, but if you have an "Aston Martin", then you can splash out a bit. Or if you can't afford it, well, it's your loss, not mine. Or just get yourself an electronic gadget that will plug into your bikes ECU and your laptop. Dead easy to tune, and much cleaner on the hands.

As a matter of info to you, a stock Harley 107cid will knock out just over 110 lb-ft of torque at 3000 RPM and just over 80 rear wheel HP. Enough to move the 1000lb of the trike at a very good pace. Tonnes of torque and even HP! That is more power to weight ratio than my 3.2l turbo charged Ranger, and that thing really moves. And since you are such a guru mechanic and such an outstanding expert on anything Harley related, you should know that HP is just James Watts wet dream and only torque matters on any rotary engine. Right?

I really hope I don't have to post the video of Hido on his 70HP rat Harley chopper just smoking a 180HP Fireblade.....

Did you really just compare a bike to a pickup truck? :cheesy:

• Haha 1

Wow, the beginning of the second paragraph in my post does make sense....

It's like they say:

"Never get into discussions with idiots,

they will just drag you to their level,

and beat you with experience."

4 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Don't get hung up on semantics. Electrical motors of the rotating variety have no pistons but still produce torque.

You seem to post as a person with some knowledge.

If that were the case, your glaring error in describing even the type of engine makes your other assertions highly suspect.

Methinks another word would be more accurate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Think they are called Yuppies - a polite term

We used others.

RUBs....

Rich Urban Bikers.

Them and the Twin Cam ruined the Harley scene.

The new breed of owners who don't like to get their fingernails dirty.

In between the Company being completely overtaken by bean counters and suits who just looked at the bottom line.

You're familiar with Sportsters. Did you know in O3 when they went rubber mount, the bean counters decided it was good engineering practice (and save a couple of $) to remove the trap door that had been there for g/box access since year dot and just have it all cast shut? Now you wanna work on your box you gotta split the cases.......

I have workshop manuals dating back to the Knuckle. So you have Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evo, motors dating from the late 40's to the late 90's with a whole chapter (pages and pages) on crankshaft and connecting rod refurbishment. Basically they were rebuildable forever.

Twin cam motor - same chapter, one page - take it to your dealer or order a replacement from your dealer.

As for genuine HD shops this century - ask any biker - avoid like the plague. They might not have an oil filter in stock but they'll sell you a t-shirt with a slogan....

I love old HD bikes, hate the company, the new products and everything it stands for. Shoulda gone bust 10 years ago.

Rant over.

9 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Damn right!

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

If that were the case, your glaring error in describing even the type of engine makes your other assertions highly suspect.

Guy used an Aston Martin anecdote  to compare to Harley Davidson.....

10 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Wow, the beginning of the second paragraph in my post does make sense....

It's like they say:

"Never get into discussions with idiots,

they will just drag you to their level,

I think you're handle befits you..... ?

From your posts there isn't much left to say except that this forum is filled with motorcycle enthusiasts, between riders, mechanics and lifelong builders 

Calling them idiots because they prove you wrong is a reflection on you, not them... 

• Like 1

Check out the styling of new bikes - then watch TV

See a parallel ?

Style by committee - and bean counters. Plastic Fantastic.

Throw away - in fashion now - cant fix sweet nothing ...

Wonder how many can ride a suicide shift, foot clutch, no front brake from a standing stop - let alone going uphill !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

So you have Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evo, motors dating from the late 40's to the late 90's with a whole chapter (pages and pages) on crankshaft and connecting rod refurbishment. Basically they were rebuildable forever.

Yes, nice one.. All those motors, except for Evo maybe, were leaking oil and bikes dropping parts... That's what gave modern Harleys a very undeserved reputation. You criticize Harley company for developing a better and more reliable motor... are you for real?  Twin cam (Fathead) and now the Milwaukee-Eigth are the best motors that the company has produced so far, and VRSC Revo with is sadly missing from the latest lineup.

Tell me which modern bikes are rebuild-able forever? Yamazumahaki?  Triumphs (yuck!)? , which! I long to hear it.

Anyways, Good thing that TV has an Ignore Function. Live and let live, I don't need your arrogant vitriol... Goodbye.

Edited by SpaceKadet
typo

11 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Check out the styling of new bikes - then watch TV

See a parallel ?

Style by committee - and bean counters. Plastic Fantastic.

Throw away - in fashion now - cant fix sweet nothing ...

Wonder how many can ride a suicide shift, foot clutch, no front brake from a standing stop - let alone going uphill !

Don't speak so loud!... This is thaiguzzi most favorite motor, except it's Shovel, and not Pan.

21 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

I think you're handle befits you..... ?

From your posts there isn't much left to say except that this forum is filled with motorcycle enthusiasts, between riders, mechanics and lifelong builders 

Calling them idiots because they prove you wrong is a reflection on you, not them... 

Motorcycle enthusiasts? You mean bigoted, arrogant, and ignorant people, that will throw their vitriol and look down on anybody who dares to criticize their Yamazumahakis with zigzag painted fairings? Get a life...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Hogwash

Are you the latest Harley-Davison expert on here?

They were leaking oil, just like my Triumphs and a BSA that I rode in the 70' were leaking oil, and dropping parts... Not much less fun thou, but you needed to be prepared.

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Ever own a Knuckle - Pan - Shovel  - Ironhead Sporty ??

No, but when I was riding leaky Triumphs, I was riding with Harley guys and their leaky hogs. We used to exchange tips how to fix the bikes to stop putting down their marks every time we stopped. Maybe it was the climate, hot summers, cold winters or something. Sportys I would touch with a 10 foot pole, bloody puffta bikes.

So ... all your 'Knowledge' comes from  - U-Tube, Bar Stool, your friends neighbors gardeners nieces boyfriend ?

Some on here have owned and wrenched on these bikes, so have personal experience.

Not pulling answers and "Opinions" out of our hat, or out of our ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

So ... all your 'Knowledge' comes from  - U-Tube, Bar Stool, your friends neighbors gardeners nieces boyfriend ?

Some on here have owned and wrenched on these bikes, so have personal experience.

Not pulling answers and "Opinions" out of our hat, or out of our ...

I don't do Bar Stools, and you better learn to read and comprehend. Just look on my previous post. First hand experience. We used to compare the size of the oil leaks between Triumph and Harley riders... biggest won. It was usually me on my 57' TR5. Maybe I tuned it up too much..... Things did improve with T120.

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Sportys I would touch with a 10 foot pole, bloody puffta bikes.

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

They were leaking oil, just like my Triumphs and a BSA that I rode in the 70' were leaking oil, and dropping parts..

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

First hand experience. We used to compare the size of the oil leaks between Triumph and Harley riders... biggest won.

And there you have it folks. This is what RUBS do.

Denigrate the old classic bikes and their own loved brand.

No respect for the history and the great bikes of the past.

If it aint new and shiny, it's old & shIt.

My first paragraph above from the RUB is a typical RUB big twin Twin Cam owner's comment.

He does not even understand that a Sportster was, at one time, one of THE performance motorcycles of it's time, and to this day (or at least till pre FI days) was/is the most performance potential model Harley Davidson one could buy.

Instead he slags off a fellow HD owner "beneath" him and his snob Twin cam Big Twin ownership values.

Snobs.

RUBs.

This new wave of Harley owners make me puke.

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

And there you have it folks. This is what RUBS do.

Denigrate the old classic bikes and their own loved brand.

No respect for the history and the great bikes of the past.

If it aint new and shiny, it's old & shIt.

My first paragraph above from the RUB is a typical RUB big twin Twin Cam owner's comment.

He does not even understand that a Sportster was, at one time, one of THE performance motorcycles of it's time, and to this day (or at least till pre FI days) was/is the most performance potential model Harley Davidson one could buy.

Instead he slags off a fellow HD owner "beneath" him and his snob Twin cam Big Twin ownership values.

Snobs.

RUBs.

This new wave of Harley owners make me puke.

They  don't call them "Hardly Ablesons" for no reason..... 

Nothing more than a posers bike thesedays, an  aerox 155cc scooter can leave them for dust around town

:cheesy:

On 7/4/2018 at 7:16 PM, canthai55 said:

The Mazda 787B in 1991 won the 24 Hr Le Mans race and still stands as the only car 'not' using a reciprocating engine to have won that race.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, jackdd said:

The Thai Vehicle Act, which is from 1979, says that a motorcycle might have a sidecar with an extra wheel, so a regular sidecar is no problem, and the food carts probably also fall under this definition.

A trike like as shown in the picture would only be legal if you could register it as a Tuk Tuk (i don't know if this is possible), which does then of course require a Tuk Tuk driving license

Where did you get the last bit of information from?  What about the legal motorcycles that have 2 front wheels, do riders of those have to get them registered as tuk-tuks and get a tuk-tuk driving licence (if there is such a thing)?

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Where did you get the last bit of information from?  What about the legal motorcycles that have 2 front wheels, do riders of those have to get them registered as tuk-tuks and get a tuk-tuk driving licence (if there is such a thing)?

The Yamaha Tri-city has the two front wheels spaced close together , and , as such is classed as a motorcycle. The Tiger motorbike / sidecar "outfits" were legal using a bike licence as they were factory built to a pre-determined legal spec. Farangs can take a Tuc Tuc driving test. Not really a fan of trikes , but love the engineering work that goes into building them. Now , if only we could get quad bikes legal. 

• Sad 1

You have been very patient ubonjoe. I have to give you that.

I know that "rotary" is a name for the Wankel engine, and I used it wrong in my post. But I just couldn't come up with a general qualifier for a motor, IC, EC, Electric and Turbine, that provides its output via a rotating shaft.

Still can't, anybody care to enlighten me?

6 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

You have been very patient ubonjoe. I have to give you that.

I know that "rotary" is a name for the Wankel engine, and I used it wrong in my post. But I just couldn't come up with a general qualifier for a motor, IC, EC, Electric and Turbine, that provides its output via a rotating shaft.

Still can't, anybody care to enlighten me?

The rotating shaft component is a gearbox , propshaft or drive shaft. Engine wise its a rotary / wankel , or a reciprocating engine ( pistons generally moving 90 degrees to the crank ) , in one of many 4 or 2 stroke guises.

I know what you're talking about ktm jeff, but this is not what I was looking for. Maybe I wasn't very clear in my description, oh well, my bad.

I was looking for a common generic qualifier for a motor (not gearbox) that provides its power output via a rotating shaft. Internal combustion like most reciprocating or rotary car and motorbike engines whether Otto, Diesel or Wankel, external combustion like steam or Sterling engines, electric motors, and turbines, mostly steam but some gravity driven. Jet and rocket engines do not qualify.

Well, there might not be one, so I'll give it a rest....