France says Iran deal 'not dead', Macron to contact Rouhani

webfact

France says Iran deal 'not dead', Macron to contact Rouhani

2018-05-09T070955Z_1_LYNXMPEE480LT_RTROPTP_4_IRAN-NUCLEAR-FRANCE.JPG

A combination of file photos showing French President Emmanuel Macron attending a meeting at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, May 23, 2017, and Iran President Hassan Rouhani looking on at the Campidoglio palace in Rome, Italy, January 25, 2016. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/Alessandro Bianchi/File Photos

PARIS (Reuters) - France's foreign minister said on Wednesday the Iran deal was not dead despite U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to pull out, and French President Emmanuel Macron would speak to his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani later in the day.

Jean-Yves Le Drian told RTL radio that France wanted to stick to the nuclear accord that Tehran agreed with world powers in 2015 - a pact which he said Iran had honoured.

Macron's meeting would be followed by high-level talks between the Iranians and Britain and Germany, as well as France, Le Drian said. Meetings would also be held with the likes of oil giant Total and others with major business and economic stakes in the region, he added.

"The deal is not dead. There's an American withdrawal from the deal but the deal is still there," he said.

"The region deserves better than further destabilisation provoked by American withdrawal. So we want to adhere to it and see to it that Iran does too, that Iran behaves with restraint."

The 2015 agreement, worked out by the United States, France, Germany, Britain, Russia, China and Iran, lifted sanctions on Iran in exchange for Tehran limiting its nuclear programme. The pact was designed to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb.

Trump said on Tuesday he would reimpose U.S. economic sanctions on Iran as he pulled out of "a horrible one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made". Other countries that helped Iran develop its nuclear programme would also face sanctions, he added.

Britain, Germany and France have already urged the United States not to take steps that would make life harder for other countries that still want to stick to the pact.

Separately, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told French radio that Trump's decision on Iran was a mistake and that the United States should not consider itself as the world's "economic policeman".

Le Drian said France, like others, was well aware that there were concerns about issues beyond Iran's nuclear capability, namely its ballistic weapons programme, but said they could be addressed without ditching the nuclear deal.

"Yes, there is a real risk of confrontation," he told RTL, regarding Trump's decision on Iran. "I hope it will not be a setback for peace," he added.

Le Drian said that regular reports by the International Atomic Energy Agency had showed Iran was complying with the agreement.

(Reporting by Brian Love and Matthias Blamont; Editing by Sudip Kar-Gupta and Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-09

11 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

India. 

So this bigotry is just rubbish then:

Now if a Muslim country like Iran had nukes...... well they are stuck like most other Islamic states in the era of witchcraft and pagan times. So yeh they would happily start one .  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunken said:

Now if a Muslim country like Iran had nukes...... well they are stuck like most other Islamic states in the era of witchcraft and pagan times. So yeh they would happily start one .  

Take em from Trump and give em to Iran .  Il see you in Hell!

13 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Take em from Trump and give em to Iran .  Il see you in Hell!

You put my name on a piece of bigoted crap that was posted by you. Do you know what a quote is? You don't know what you're doing just like the gullible Trump followers who can't understand the stupidity of his action on this agreement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, khunken said:

You don't know what you're doing just like the gullible Trump followers who can't understand the stupidity of his action on this agreement.

Why do people who don’t agree with Trump and dislike anything about him resort to insults on intelligence?  Sounds very similar to the near 18 million who voted for ( dare I mention it ) brexit and the 65 million who voted for trump. Are all these people really stupid and gullible?  Tbf the people in my opinion who are gullible were the African Americans who voted for Obama on the strength of his ethnicity.

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Why do people who don’t agree with Trump and dislike anything about him resort to insults on intelligence?  Sounds very similar to the near 18 million who voted for ( dare I mention it ) brexit and the 65 million who voted for trump. Are all these people really stupid and gullible?  Tbf the people in my opinion who are gullible were the African Americans who voted for Obama on the strength of his ethnicity.

Why do people distort other people's posts and when it's pointed out just ignore it?

Ignorance, arrogance or dishonesty?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, khunken said:

Why do people distort other people's posts and when it's pointed out just ignore it?

Ignorance, arrogance or dishonesty?

Or an honest mistake? 

My apologies . I have been rather busy responding to all sorts today. And yes I did misquote you.  Apologies again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

No1 in the West inc Russia and China will be starting world war 111. They would prefer not to have their countries laid to waste and complete devoid of human life. Now if a Muslim country like Iran had nukes...... well they are stuck like most other Islamic states in the era of witchcraft and pagan times. So yeh they would happily start one .  

Religion and politics do not do not blend well at all. Islam in my opinion doesn’t blend well with anything.

You come along here and say that "Religion and politics do not do not blend well at all."

Okay, do you realise what's happening in the White House ? Donald Trump is not actually a Christian man, I don't reckon that Trump believes in the Bible. But I say this. There are a bunch of Christian fundamentalists and extremists in the White House, and they are advising and influencing the President of the USA. These Christian fundamentalists and extremists have miss-interpreted the Bible, and they reckon that the Bible is saying that we're suppose to fight a war (as in, do a Crusade) against Islam. They reckon that in Isaiah and Ezekial, it says that Syria and Iran(Persia) are the problem. These extremists in the White House have got it wrong.

So, that's why the White House is pulling out of this Iran deal, that's why the White House is against Iran/Persia. The White House has been hijacked by Christian fundamentalists and extremists, they've miss-interpreted the Bible.

By the way,  do you believe in Isaiah and Ezekiel ? Do you believe that we've got to fight against Iran, because Jesus is coming back ? If you don't believe the stuff in the Bible about prophecy and End Times, well, you're basically a non-religious man who is taking part in a Crusade against Islam. A Crusade that is being organised by Christian fundamentalists.

Myself, I am a Christian man, but I'm not in the same boat as them lot in the White House.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, farcanell said:

And what of trumps threat to sanction other countries that he sees as breaking his sanctions?

it seems like NATO is a “horrible deal” and needs tearing up, isolating America, freeing European signatories from any obligations and turning sanctions against other countries into aggressive unsanctioned acts by international law,

one stand alone countries sanctions will be meaningless.... and that same word will hopefully be appended to trump.

foremost in responsible modern business models is the sanctity of company reputation.... that the great deal maker in chief does not ascribe to this philosophy, as a businessman, is pretty poor...,as a politician, it’s pathetic.

Hello there.

"And what of trumps threat to sanction other countries that he sees as breaking his sanctions?"

Yes, Washington might go ahead and put sanctions on companies that trade and have links with Iran. If Washington does actually do this, well, Washington is in serious danger of making the situation worse, Washington is in danger of creating a gap between America and Europe. I hope Washington won't do this, playing with fire is dangerous.

16 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

There are a bunch of Christian fundamentalists and extremists in the White House, and they are advising and influencing the President of the USA. These Christian fundamentalists and extremists have miss-interpreted the Bible, and they reckon that the Bible is saying that we're suppose to fight a war (as in, do a Crusade) against Islam. They reckon that in Isaiah and Ezekial, it says that Syria and Iran(Persia) are the problem. These extremists in the White House have got it wrong.

So, that's why the White House is pulling out of this Iran deal, that's why the White House is against Iran/Persia. The White House has been hijacked by Christian fundamentalists and extremists, they've miss-interpreted the Bible.

By the way,  do you believe in Isaiah and Ezekiel ? Do you believe that we've got to fight against Iran, because Jesus is coming back ?

So you’re comparing the United States administration to that of a Islamic jihad state ready to sacrifice their people in the name of God? Albeit in a Holy crusade manner?

Tbh I find that rather hard to believe. Yes they may strike Iran but not because God has told them so.

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Ahm, the deal is dead. Some just don't realize it. Cognitive dissonance. Bad timing to be stubborn.

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

The deal is dead ???

No. Washington has pulled out of the deal, but the rest of the world is still 'in' with the deal. Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, the rest of the world, is still 'in' on the deal.

It's a bit like saying that "just because Washington reckons that global warming is not taking place, just because Washington reckons that burning coal is okay, well, that's Washington, it don't mean to say that other people feel the same way". 

And indeed, most Americans don't agree with Washington, most Americans do actually believe that global warming is taking place, most Americans do reckon that sticking with Obama's nuclear deal is the correct thing to do.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

The deal is dead ???

No. Washington has pulled out of the deal, but the rest of the world is still 'in' with the deal. Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, the rest of the world, is still 'in' on the deal.

It's a bit like saying that "just because Washington reckons that global warming is not taking place, just because Washington reckons that burning coal is okay, well, that's Washington, it don't mean to say that other people feel the same way". 

And indeed, most Americans don't agree with Washington, most Americans do actually believe that global warming is taking place, most Americans do reckon that sticking with Obama's nuclear deal is the correct thing to do.

' “I don’t trust these three EU countries either,” Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, tweeted in English. “If the govt. wants to make a contract, they should ask for a guarantee, or else they will all do just as the U.S. did.” '

Khamenei is right. You can't trust those European countries. They are just overwhelmed with that issue. Apart from that, there are other serious hurdles to keep the deals running. Thea deal is dead. It really doesn't matter what the EU is thinking or doing. It's only some noise. Like interference on analog radios.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

India. 

But you basically said that if a Muslim country like Iran had nukes they would happily start WW III. And now you say that a Muslim country like Pakistan - they can go toe to toe with Iran when it comes to spreading terrorism - that has nukes doesn't start a war because of India. So why would Iran start a war, when its mortal enemies (the USA and Israel) both have nukes as well?

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Islam.

I’m really trying to keep up... but...

On one hand... You agree Pakistan is an Islamist country, but that it won’t start a war because of non Muslim enemies of strength (India)

On the other hand....you agree Iran is an Islamist country, but that it will start a war against its enemies of strength (isreal and USA)

arent they conflicting comments.... hypocritical even?

• Like 1

Just now, live. News Conference by Pelosi&Co. Aaaand they do it again. Only criticize. No productive suggestions. Not at all. Who in God's name will vote them? Trump brings the world peace and they do nothing but crying. What's wrong with these guys?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

arent they conflicting comments.... hypocritical even?

Yes they could be perceived that way. But Pakistan hasn’t got hatred anywhere near to the extent Iran has with Israel or the US . And on a government level does not have an Islamic supreme leader calling the shots.  In my humble opinion I think Iran wouldn’t think twice on the tactical nuke option against Israel if conflict came to a head or even Saudi Arabia.  But we can all surely agree than Iran having a nuclear option is bloody frightening.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunken said:

You put my name on a piece of bigoted crap that was posted by you. Do you know what a quote is? You don't know what you're doing just like the gullible Trump followers who can't understand the stupidity of his action on this agreement.

Iran just proved how irresponsible and untrustworthy they are today after PT rejected the deal ,they sent rockets to Israel .Besides we are sick of the threats,"Death to America" from the Ayatollahs .

Iran parliament burn US flag Iran deal Trump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1