Using Two Passports

Hi,

Forgive if this is a silly question, but I have read people on this forum mentioning possibly using 2 passports to get around the 90/180 day rule.

Question is: is it actually possible unless you went back to both country A and then to country B?

At what point would you be able to swap passports? For example, if I went back to the UK, in which I hold a passport, I wouldn't be able to use the other one to get back to TH. (since to have entered the UK on that passport I would have to have had a visa to enter the UK)

I am also assuming that you cannot ENTER Thailand with a passport that does not show where you have just come from, and that you can't LEAVE Thailand for a visa run using a passport which you didn't use to get in. Am I missing any tricks here?

Please don't call me Kee Ngo! I am just checking! :/

Edited by lukeyluke

I am confused. You say you hold a UK passport yet state you need a VISA to return to the UK. If you hold a UK passport with right of abode you do not need a VISA. You can also enter on any UK passport irrespective of the country you traveled from It is also quite legitimate to hold 2 UK passports and this is quite common as business people quite often are waiting for VISA's whilst traveling to other countries thus 2 passports is essential for frequent overseas trips.

As to the legitimacy of your proposal with respect to Thai immigration I can not comment. However, assuming you had 2 passports you must check in and pass thro immigration in BKK with the passport that holds your VISA/VOA. After that i.e. on entry in the UK/EU you can present whatever UK passport you have at hand.

Whether you could use 1 passport to enter, get a VOA, leave after 30 days to say KL, then return on your 2nd passport and get a VOA and alternate this process thus in effect being able to stay permanently, albeit having to take a day trip every month, the legality of this in Thailand I suspect is questionable and Thailand has a better computerised tracking system for aliens than the UK hence I think it may be unwise to risk a venture of this type.

Regards,

Dave

When I had two passports I would leave one country on one and enter the other country on the second - even on land borders when I then enter a country with a totally unstamped passport.

The only place I know that ever looks at leaving stamps to see if you've left anywhere is Thailand when looking to see if you actually entered, say, Burma on a visa run rather than just U turned on the bridge.

Sorry, just to clarify the confusion:

I understand I would be able to ENTER the UK on my UK passport, but then I was assuming that I would not be able to LEAVE the UK with a visa for Thailand in my Australian passport.

From your comments, this would then be the same situation for any country I suppose.

I guess that was really my question - whether it was possible to enter a country (UK or otherwise) on one passport and leave with a visa for Thailand in the other one. I haven't needed to do that before.

As you said though, even if it were possible, tracking of movements might cause problems in the long-run.

tks

Leave the UK on your UK passport, enter Thailand on your OZ. Next time leave BKK on Oz enter say UK again on UK then enter BKK again on UK. But as I said Thai system is good. Don't need to go to UK though, just go to Changi, remain in arrivals, work thro to departures, you do not go thro' Singapore immigration so that way you get your Thai departure stamp in OZ PP, Then get VOA in UK PP at BKK again. Each month enter BKK on alternative passport, but I must repeat the computerised Thai immigration system may send alarm bells ringing owing to both passports having the same name and DOB and place of birth. They will then check your photo from their database which was taken on arrival previously and bingo you are goosed.

Dave

Leave the UK on your UK passport, enter Thailand on your OZ. Next time leave BKK on Oz enter say UK again on UK then enter BKK again on UK. But as I said Thai system is good. Don't need to go to UK though, just go to Changi, remain in arrivals, work thro to departures, you do not go thro' Singapore immigration so that way you get your Thai departure stamp in OZ PP, Then get VOA in UK PP at BKK again. Each month enter BKK on alternative passport, but I must repeat the computerised Thai immigration system may send alarm bells ringing owing to both passports having the same name and DOB and place of birth. They will then check your photo from their database which was taken on arrival previously and bingo you are goosed.

Dave

He will be ( as you put it ) goosed on the second entry. PLEASE on;y post iformation that is ABSOLUTELY correct. Your advice is INCORRECT and DANGEROUS.

Dave

He will be ( as you put it ) goosed on the second entry. PLEASE on;y post iformation that is ABSOLUTELY correct. Your advice is INCORRECT and DANGEROUS.

If you have two passports it is quite simple: you must use the same passport to enter and leave any country: the other passport is in limbo

Scottie Dog,

Pls read my responses carefully. I recommend not entering Thailand using 2 passports. Unfortunately you also appear to unfamilier with some countries entry and departure arrangements.

Your statement is incorrect. For example in 1994 the UK ceased to record passport details of non UK passport holders entering or leaving. Since the lastest terrorist attacks they are now considering their introduction. For UK passport holders they have never recorded this information during peacetime. As such there is no record of which passport number has entered should you be visiting from a country not requiring a VISA. Of course if you require a VISA to enter the UK then you are correct in your ascertation.

But in the aforementioned I was discussing the merits of 2 passports based upon the holder having 2 UK passports as was very clear.

Also as I said it is quite legal to hold 2 UK passports and thus if you return to the UK with one passport and are then awaiting a VISA in that passport to visit somewhere on business you use the other to exit.

Please therefore be polite enough to read thorougly the postings and if you either do not undertand or have insufficient experience of the subject matter do not be negative in your response. Myself and many other UK business executives have experience in this area and thus my advice was not only given in good faith but also based upon working experience in line with UK governmental procedures.

Edited by daveupson

Scottie Dog,

Pls read my responses carefully. I recommend not entering Thailand using 2 passports. Unfortunately you also appear to unfamilier with some countries entry and departure arrangements.

Your statement is incorrect. For example in 1994 the UK ceased to record passport details of non UK passport holders entering or leaving. Since the lastest terrorist attacks they are now considering their introduction. For UK passport holders they have never recorded this information during peacetime. As such there is no record of which passport number has entered should you be visiting from a country not requiring a VISA. Of course if you require a VISA to enter the UK then you are correct in your ascertation.

But in the aforementioned I was discussing the merits of 2 passports based upon the holder having 2 UK passports as was very clear.

Also as I said it is quite legal to hold 2 UK passports and thus if you return to the UK with one passport and are then awaiting a VISA in that passport to visit somewhere on business you use the other to exit.

Please therefore be polite enough to read thorougly the postings and if you either do not undertand or have insufficient experience of the subject matter do not be negative in your response. Myself and many other UK business executives have experience in this area and thus my advice was not only given in good faith but also based upon working experience in line with UK governmental procedures.

Thank you for your totally asinine and insulting reply. Where is my statement incorrect? Where am I being impolite? Where is it negative? Maybe it is time you stared to read posts correctly and reply accordingly. Your kind of insulting, negative and inaccurate response to a simple posting is liable to stifle responses, not encourage them.

If YOU had bothered to read my entry it is very clear. Use one passport in one country at one time, then use the other one. I made the mistake of assuming that you would realise that I was talking about countries that stamp you in/out.

As for your comment about your business experience is concerned you are assuming that I am neither a Businessman or a dual passport holder. Wrong on both counts. Lighten up!!

Edited by scottie dog

Having just come into this thread it is clear that Scotties statement and I quote "If you have two passports it is quite simple: you must use the same passport to enter and leave any country: the other passport is in limbo" is totally at odds with his current position where he now states "I made the mistake of assuming that you would realise that I was talking about countries that stamp you in/out"unquote.

Whilst the former by Scootie Dog was written with no exception the latter statement then goes to imply that is not what he meant after all he only meant countries that stamp you in and stramp you out, which was not previously defined and hence can only be seen as attempting to correct his own inaccurate previous statements as pointed out by the other poster. That same poster clearly also stated that he was refering to UK citizens who hold 2 passports, not 2 passport held as dual Nationality to which you imply you are one.

Ambiguity in responses I believe has led to this misunderstanding. Frankly I ampalled at some of the juvenile responses on this forum that I recently joined and am now wondering why I did. To my mind when I keep reading things like "I am a large stocker holde", " I have on depsoit xxx US$" and " I am a business man" it takes me back over many many decades to my school times when you heard "my Dad is bigger than your Dad"

Come on posters please increase the standards so that this forum reflects the fact that we are mature adults, as I expect most of us are. Other wise use the like sof youtube etc.

Having just come into this thread it is clear that Scotties statement and I quote "If you have two passports it is quite simple: you must use the same passport to enter and leave any country: the other passport is in limbo" is totally at odds with his current position where he now states "I made the mistake of assuming that you would realise that I was talking about countries that stamp you in/out"unquote.

Whilst the former by Scootie Dog was written with no exception the latter statement then goes to imply that is not what he meant after all he only meant countries that stamp you in and stramp you out, which was not previously defined and hence can only be seen as attempting to correct his own inaccurate previous statements as pointed out by the other poster. That same poster clearly also stated that he was refering to UK citizens who hold 2 passports, not 2 passport held as dual Nationality to which you imply you are one.

Ambiguity in responses I believe has led to this misunderstanding. Frankly I ampalled at some of the juvenile responses on this forum that I recently joined and am now wondering why I did. To my mind when I keep reading things like "I am a large stocker holde", " I have on depsoit xxx US$" and " I am a business man" it takes me back over many many decades to my school times when you heard "my Dad is bigger than your Dad"

Come on posters please increase the standards so that this forum reflects the fact that we are mature adults, as I expect most of us are. Other wise use the like sof youtube etc.

I do not believe there was anything inaccurate in my first post. It is factually correct. Use one passport to go in and out of one country( I later added for the benefit of those who cannot think properly “quote: I made the mistake of assuming that you would realise that I was talking about countries that stamp you in/out"unquote) This is clarification - not a correction!!

I did not mentioned the UK in my post, nor dual nationality! Neither situation is germane to the issue.

Your response is ambiguous