Australian scientist, 104, plans to kill himself with 'Swiss option'

webfact

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it is about publicity, but not 'at the end of his life'. It is publicity in an attempt to change laws in his home country.

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

Oh please.

He is trying to get publicity for the cause of volumtary euthanasia.

The guy is 104 and has done it all in his field of expertise.

Do you believe he should keep quiet?

Do you think he stands to gain personally.

Some cynical people on this board

I didn't see anything in the OP to suggest he is doing this to promote euthenasia in his home country. To exploit his own death for that purpose that would be unseemly in any case - smacks of self-immolation.

Seems this news is simply on account of him being 104 - which admittedly is remarkable.

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

I didn't see anything in the OP to suggest he is doing this to promote euthenasia in his home country. To exploit his own death for that purpose that would be unseemly in any case - smacks of self-immolation.

Seems this news is simply on account of him being 104 - which admittedly is remarkable.

Very sad post.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Very sad post.

Care to explain why?

I'm all for euthanasia, but using one's own death to promote it - if that is what the news conference was about - is very questionable form. Surely lots of people go to Switzerland for this, and surely they would all rather do it in their home countries, but they don't hold news conferences about it they day before their quietus.

Modesty in all things, especially death.

Btw, any moral difference between euthanasia and suicide?

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Care to explain why?

I'm all for euthanasia, but using one's own death to promote it - if that is what the news conference was about - is very questionable form. Surely lots of people go to Switzerland for this, and surely they would all rather do it in their home countries, but they don't hold news conferences about it they day before their quietus.

I doubt it is many people, but maybe they should all have press conferences about it.

I don't think his actions are questionable at all, but laudable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Care to explain why?

We don't know the case nor the background. Perhaps he was going to die without press, and the news leaked out. Perhaps he was seeking for the press to make a final point for the people who will follow his steps. Most likely it was something in between. 

I do not have any moral restriction for suicide. I'm going for it, when the time is due and if I feel like it, in case there is no ability to choose euthanasia and going out in style. 

Euthanasia is assisted suicide. It's a humane way to let our moms and dads to have a dignified end of their lives... and when the time comes, the same for us all. 

I have difficulties to understand why anyone would oppose that. What is the reasoning behind making old or sick people to suffer?

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I doubt it is many people, but maybe they should all have press conferences about it.

I don't think his actions are questionable at all, but laudable.

Just wondering... why are you so keen to make it easier for people to euthanase? No doubt certain people, like you and me, are intellectually sophisticated enough to make the decison, but many people - I would say most people - are actually quite feeble-minded, victim of their own unstable emotions, and had better be saved from themselves. I don't think society will ever make euthanasia easy for that reason.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Just wondering... why are you so keen to make it easier for people to euthanase? No doubt certain people, like you and me, are intellectually sophisticated enough to make the decison, but many people - I would say most people - are actually quite feeble-minded, victim of their own unstable emotions, and had better be saved from themselves. I don't think society will ever make euthanasia easy for that reason.

I guess you are just trolling. No, you are not intelligent enough to relate other people's thoughts and feelings. 

Go and enjoy executing your program, which you call life. 

7 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

With a conclusion like that, taken out of the blue, your post doesn't deserve an answer.

5 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Yes, I agree.

I personally have experienced severe bouts of depression even leading to suicidal ideation.

Maybe assisted suicide should require 1 year's notice and being reset every time one thinks better of it

In the UK, suicide is the leading cause of death for males under 50. The world is not such a nice place and it is getting worse.

I think The Samaritans should get much more support. In the U.K. they get a call every 6 seconds!

Care in the community is also key. The way this has been run down in the U.K. is quite appalling!

Prozac anyone?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I guess you are just trolling. No, you are not intelligent enough to relate other people's thoughts and feelings. 

Go and enjoy executing your program, which you call life. 

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

With a conclusion like that, taken out of the blue, your post doesn't deserve an answer.

Neither of you did yourselves any credit by dodging the argument in favour of a personal attack.

I am perfectly sincere. You cannot be sincere if you are actually trying to rule out the existence of all forms of mental instability.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes, I agree.

I personally have experienced severe bouts of depression even leading to suicidal ideation.

Maybe assisted suicide should require 1 year's notice and being reset every time one thinks better of it

In the UK, suicide is the leading cause of death for males under 50. The world is not such a nice place and it is getting worse.

I think The Samaritans should get much more support. In the U.K. they get a call every 6 seconds!

Care in the community is also key. The way this has been run down in the U.K. is quite appalling!

Prozac anyone?

Ok. Let's take a step to a bit deeper thoughts. 

Why do people think euthanasia or suicide is a bad thing to do? Why people think other people should live as long as they possibly can? If a person sees that suicide is the best option for him or her, why it's thought to be a bad option, instead of being a good option?

Really, think that for an while. And yes, I'm serious about this one. 

On personal note, as a kid I always thought I would die before I hit 25. No reason for that, only a thought. It made me live my life in pretty intense way. Travel a lot, experience a lot, learn a lot. I had to postpone the deadline every now and then. I lived quite an life, even before I turned 30.

Sometimes I think, we would be so much better off, if we had an expiration date. Date, when we know we are going to die. We would not postpone life to.. when we are 30, 40 or retired.. We would live our lives to the fullest, because we know we are going to expire soon. 

Perhaps the key is to make life worthwhile, instead of trying to make one's lives long enough.

17 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Neither of you did yourselves any credit by dodging the argument in favour of a personal attack.

I am perfectly sincere. You cannot be sincere if you are actually trying to rule out the existence of all forms of mental instability.

You put yourself into the shoes of higher intelligence over other people's lives and experiences. 

You pushed other people down. That is not what an thoughtful person would do.  

The dictionary definition for euthanasia is "the practice of intentionally ending a life to relieve pain and suffering"

This guy isnt in pain or suffering, he is ending his life just because he wants to !!!

It opens a can of worms, what if a healthy 20 year old "wants to" end their life.

This is the reason that euthanasia laws exist, to make sure people have a valid, ethical, moral reason for ending their life, not just because They "want to" or its "their choice".

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Complaining about a personal attack, even though there wasn't one, is not very smart after you completely misrepresented my post.

Goodbye.

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

Ok. Let's take a step to a bit deeper thoughts. 

Why do people think euthanasia or suicide is a bad thing to do? Why people think other people should live as long as they possibly can? If a person sees that suicide is the best option for him or her, why it's thought to be a bad option, instead of being a good option?

Really, think that for an while. And yes, I'm serious about this one. 

On personal note, as a kid I always thought I would die before I hit 25. No reason for that, only a thought. It made me live my life in pretty intense way. Travel a lot, experience a lot, learn a lot. I had to postpone the deadline every now and then. I lived quite an life, even before I turned 30.

Sometimes I think, we would be so much better off, if we had an expiration date. Date, when we know we are going to die. We would not postpone life to.. when we are 30, 40 or retired.. We would live our lives to the fullest, because we know we are going to expire soon. 

Perhaps the key is to make life worthwhile, instead of trying to make one's lives long enough.

That's an entirely rational viewpoint. The effect on others is a big issue for me. In both ways. I don't want to upset anyone but nor do I wish to be a burden! Health and wealth are key issues here. 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

The dictionary definition for euthanasia is "the practice of intentionally ending a life to relieve pain and suffering"

This guy isnt in pain or suffering, he is ending his life just because he wants to !!!

It opens a can of worms, what if a healthy 20 year old "wants to" end their life.

This is the reason that euthanasia laws exist, to make sure people have a valid, ethical, moral reason for ending their life, not just because They "want to" or its "their choice".

If my dad at 104 has had enough and sees all his friends are gone and his health is getting worse, so wants assisted suicide, I'd be proud to help him.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If my dad at 104 has had enough and sees all his friends are gone and his health is getting worse, so wants assisted suicide, I'd be proud to help him.

I'm thinking the same. 

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The guy hasnt said its because his friends are gone or failing health.

If I go and see a mental health doctor tomorrow and tell them I want kill myself, for no other reason than I want to, They would consider me a suicidal nut job.

Would you help your not in pain father to commit suicide at 94, 84, what about 54.

Edited by Peterw42

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If I go and see a mental health doctor tomorrow and tell them I want kill myself, for no other reason than I want to, They would consider me a suicidal nut job.

You'd better read the OP again.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

That's an entirely rational viewpoint. The effect on others is a big issue for me. In both ways. I don't want to upset anyone but nor do I wish to be a burden! Health and wealth are key issues here. 

Nah, you already have a perfectly good reason to live, to offer reasonable thoughts to learn for us here :)

But when the health and wealth demises, and there is strong will to seek what is on the other side, the death should be glamorous. In a way of funeral party before the death itself. 

Partying with the corpse is kind of old fashioned anyway :)

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Would you help your not in pain father to commit suicide at 94, 84, what about 54.

That is your culture saying you are a suicidal nut job. That is exactly what is tried to be changed here. 

Chance to enjoy one's last moments of life with rejoice, instead of being called a suicidal nut job.

3 minutes ago, oilinki said:

That is your culture saying you are a suicidal nut job. That is exactly what is tried to be changed here. 

Chance to enjoy one's last moments of life with rejoice, instead of being called a suicidal nut job.

What if I want to "enjoy my last moments of life with rejoice" at age age 24 ?

At what age does it become acceptable?

23 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

At the risk of making light of this very serious issue, I am 64! 

In many ways this is increasingly a societal issue. In the West, oldage often means loneliness, estrangement, and becoming a nuisance and an unnecessary expense. The East beats the West hands down concerning age.  

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2