Physical examination for entry to university

Hi all,

I considered posting this in the Health section but I decided it should go here as my question is more focused on the practices of a particular university.

My wife and I know of a young man looking to start Phranakhon Rajabhat University in Lak Si, Bangkok to study Psychology next year yet we fear he will give up on his opportunity because he is HIV+. He has told his mother he won’t pass the physical examination because they will check his blood for what I’m told is anything that comes under the heading of ‘Disgusting Diseases’.

It would be a shame to see someone denied the chance to further their education for any reason let alone one based on the social stigma of HIV.

Can anyone advise if this is correct and if the university does test for HIV and what avenues would be available to get around this bearing in mind he takes anti-HIV medicine GPO Z250 and after several years of medication he is now being treated for its side effects with schizophrenia medication.

Admirably he sticks religiously to taking his medication on time and has a CD4 = 800 and a VL = 0 and we are also concerned how this might knock his confidence and plans for the future if denied a future.

So the main question is will the university test his blood for HIV and deny him entry if he is found to be HIV+ ?

Regards

My apologies for the late reply...

I was referring to a young Thai man, but since my last post my wife called the university and asked them straight about testing for HIV and they said they don't test for HIV as it isn't what they class as a disgusting disease as it isn't infectious through normal socializing.

Thank you for your reply and please add more if you think it will help.

Regards

Archived