Motorcycle helmets crackdown in Hua Hin

johnnytuc

In April I returned to the Uk after 11 years in Thailand, the last 8 in Hua Hin, it was announced just before I left that there was to be a crackdown on Motorcyclist not wearing helmets.  But they said it would not start until May 1st can any locals advise how this wonderful initiative is going?

Wearing a helmet is always a start but when you crackdown it would be nice when the police do their cruise stop and ticket those who are without instead of waiting for a crackdown or checkpoint. Would also be nice to stop the person who is wearing a helmet but violating the speed limit by 60 KM/H Enforcing is 24/7  365 days a year. 

Don't know about there but the total disregard for the rule of law in Pattaya is insane. I was thinking how effective cameras would be and if it might be cost effective to bring the carnage under control. Had a beer at my little bar on the corner of South Pattaya Road and  Road #3 across from Tonys Gym. It was 5pm on Thursday and I counted the infractions in front of me for ten minutes. There were 218 mostly no helmet but not one single light change involved less than two runners. One involved 5 and there many m/c riders would do the weave like they were turning then run thru the light. There were a couple near misses from m/c riders first off the line when the lights changed. This is not a particularly busy intersection, pretty much typical.

So lets install cameras here with a metal box to house the recording device. Assuming all would cost 100K baht. Wouldn't cost that much but doesn't matter really if it cost a million. Lets go light on the assumptions and say 200 infractions per 10 minutes x 6 = infractions  an hour times ( 8am-10pm) 14 hours per day times 500 baht per infraction. All these assumptions would likely play out higher and the fact was the law breaking was so fast and furious I am sure I missed many that the cameras would pickup.

200 per ten minutes x6 (1 Hour) x14 ( hours per day x 500baht = 8,400,000 baht per day in fines. One day would finance 84 additional intersections with cameras.

Am I missing something, this is one intersection. The only conclusion is this would bring transparency that would end tea money. Seems like a no-brainer, people would be forced to comply and they could require proof of license and insurance at the time the fine is paid. People don't pay tack it on plus 25% late fee at time of renewal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

The only conclusion is this would bring transparency that would end tea money.

Therein lies the ploblem..........an end to tea money.............Heaven forbid !!!! ........But I get your point ......:thumbsup:

• Like 1

The country of Thailand has to get its act together and enforce the wearing of helmets

everywhere, every day.  The PM the military and the police have to lead by example, and if

any of them are caught with out helmets charge them all and shame them by demotion as

well. Go after all the people,  rich and poor and charge the repeat customers by charging

them double , triple etc when they are caught more than once. Come on General PM it is

time to try get Thailand ahead of the third world status it is presently in. This will not change

unless you and the Government of Thailand get involved directly.

Geezer

• Like 2

Over 80% of road deaths in Thailand involve bike riders. 

They dont keep statistics on it, but I bet over 90% of those wear not wearing a helmet.  

In studies done in the west, helmets save over 50% of deaths - injured but recoverable.

At 25000 a year - even if only 50% wore helmets that would save an estimated 9000 lives.

The numbers will eventually be too big to ignore - maybe.