Carbon steel wok

ThatGuyLexx

I am looking for a carbon steel wok.  I do not like the aluminum stuff that is everywhere and I don’t like non stick coatings.  Apparently what I am looking for in Bangkok is basically a unicorn in comparison so any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.  I saw a post about another person was looking for one and found it across the street from ekamai bus station but I can’t seem to find “the weird grocery store” the post was referring to.

go to a local market. There will be a  stall selling cooking equipment. They will have them as most street food stalls use them.  Alternatively go into a Thai hardware shop. They will also stock them. Look for the places that sell the BBQ in a bucket... you will definitely get one there.

the weight of a carbon steel wok vs an aluminum one should be considered if ye wanna shake and stir fry in the usual way, maybe OK for deep frying...I've never seen a carbon steel wok myself anywhere locally only aluminum...maybe try mail order?

• 1 month later...

Wow, the replies surprise me. I bought a good one from the local (in the sticks) market. Of course that is no help if you are in Bangkok, why not try Chattuchak market or JJ Mall next to it, I would be amazed if that failed to turn up what you want.

Archived