Dialup Speed Tips/tricks?

ubergnome

I'm doing my best to get the office PC tuned up and so far have made lots of progress. I don't know my way around a PC, I am now learning. I hail from the Mac world, and when I dialup with my Mac, I usually get on right away and always get a faster connection speed 38-42k compared with 28k on the PC - right now 19k :o .

I'm thinking there must be a way to set up my system for better dialup performance.

What can I can do to improve the situation? I know 56k is asking for too much, but at least maybe I can get on without having to go through 6 dial attempts on 2 different numbers.

Here are the details:

Windows 2000 Pro

Creative Blaster V92 modem

Loxinfo Web2 account

hi'

Windows 2000 Pro

Creative Blaster V92 modem

Loxinfo Web2 account

well ...

>win2k ... ok if you like :o

>creative blaster v92 (external I guess) nice quality modem, I had one that I sold with a com ...

you have to check that this modem is setup to run at it's maximum.

go to the Control Panel, open the System section, in the Hardware/Device Manager.

take a look at the modem, click to get it's properties, and check that the speed is set at 115000. then look at the port number.

after this where you should have seen on which port the modem is connected to,

(also in the same section of control panel/harware)take a look at the PORTS (lpt &com), check that the port that host your modem is set at the same speed that the modem as said 115000, instead of the default value which is 9600.

>loxinfo web2 ... this ain't that bad :D just don't expect to get better than 45.2k :D

>your location is a meaning only if you line is not this good ...

are you far from the telephone central point?

this could be a very important point in your connection quality.

but anyway check the above and say if this improved your connection a bit.

you can also use any small program to tweak the speed, some available for free.

take a look at easyMTU or TweakDun, easy to use and light on the system :D

good luck and have fun :D

francois

ps: just hoping that it's not an usb modem!

Edited by francois

well ...

>win2k ... ok if you like

Not my choice. I've inherited it. What do you suggest I replace it with?

>loxinfo web2 ... this ain't that bad :D just don't expect to get better than 45.2k

I'd be thrilled with 40!

>your location is a meaning only if you line is not this good ...

are you far from the telephone central point?

this could be a very important point in your connection quality.

Well, we're close to town, not in the sticks.

take a look at easyMTU or TweakDun, easy to use and light on the system :D

Will check these out...

good luck and have fun

Yeah, fun...That's what life's all about, right? :o

ps: just hoping that it's not an usb modem!

LOL, after reading all that...IT IS USB! :D

Am I out of luck, then?

BTW, can u recommend a good download manager?

LOL, after reading all that...IT IS USB!

Am I out of luck, then?

BTW, can u recommend a good download manager?

:o sh#t ....

so, we cannot play with the port com speed ... too bad :D

leave it at 56k on the modem settings, this works on usb ones.

don't "push" it too much as some don't react well to this :D

then easyMTU could be a good choice to improve the quality of transmissions.

have to assume that the program would regognize the modem as a network adapter.

it's not always the case :D

downlaoder, I use both Getright (licenced some years ago) and FlashGet.

they both work good, depends on the server ...

might be good to have them both me think sometimes :D

win2k is ok, I use winXp as a windows, it's bit different, but not this much, some improvements though .. it's a personnal choice.

just keep up to date for microsoft patches, and sevice pack.

it should be SP3 at least now.

hope it helps a bit

francois

Edited by francois

I approach it as a layman, in the morning I do open 5-6 web-sites and jump from one to the other.

Same time down load any incoming mails, at home use IE although in the office Eudora, which I like better.

So in practical terms, when I get up, open IE, keep it running for what ever time is required to download my mails, 15-20 min will do.

Open 'mail2web' and check company mail, to find something urgent, which I might comment to or forward.

Open some newspapers from back home, while one article is loading I read another in a different site.

Perhaps have a look in Thaivisa.

My speed is around 40 Kbps, a bit slow, but too fast for me to finish all my readings and writings. Don't forget, I still have to shout for a coffee and prepare for some serious exersize, which includes a few length in the pool, lifting my coffee-cup, read the Bangkok Post and think about going to the office where I have ADSL with 100.

Actually, opening so many pages helps me personally a lot, Thai Visa is one of the fastest loading.

hi'

...now, if I could just get Outlook to stop hanging...Hmmm

did you download the microsofty patch for outlook?

it was a patch for all windows versions ... months ago, can't remember :o

sometime, reinstall the rpogram without doing anything before just put things back in place ... try this, it might work, it was common in word97 :D

cheers

francois

I approach it as a layman, in the morning I do open 5-6 web-sites and jump from one to the other.

Same time down load any incoming mails, at home use IE although in the office Eudora, which I like better.

So in practical terms, when I get up, open IE, keep it running for what ever time is required to download my mails, 15-20 min will do.

Open 'mail2web' and check company mail, to find something urgent, which I might comment to or forward.

Open some newspapers from back home, while one article is loading I read another in a different site.

Perhaps have a look in Thaivisa.

My speed is around 40 Kbps, a bit slow, but too fast for me to finish all my readings and writings. Don't forget, I still have to shout for a coffee and prepare for some serious exersize, which includes a few length in the pool, lifting my coffee-cup, read the Bangkok Post and think about going to the office where I have ADSL with 100.

Actually, opening so many pages helps me personally a lot, Thai Visa is one of the fastest loading.

:D

let's stay human ... :o

fact : human eyes can only appreciate, evaluate, and react in a real time at a maximum speed of 40k/h

this is a real fact ... that a big why there are so many car accidents all over the world.

:D

let's keep it cool :D

francois

BTW ... it's true thaivisa is a real fast loaded one indeed.

I guess all of us appreciate it a lot :D