Pheu Thai event on Junta failures draws prosecution threat

snoop1130

Pheu Thai event on Junta failures draws prosecution threat

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

pheuthai2-696x475.jpg

Police speak to Pheu Thai Party secretary general Phumtham Wechayachai before the party held a news conference Thursday where they criticized the military regime's failures ahead of the four-year coup anniversary at party headquarters in Bangkok. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — A junta legal rep said Thursday he will file a police complaint against the Pheu Thai Party for violating the Computer Crime Act and political assembly ban.

Col. Burin Thongprapai’s threat was made as the party held a news conference to highlight what it described as seven failures by the military regime four years on since the May 2014 coup d’etat.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/05/17/pheu-thai-event-on-junta-failures-draws-prosecution-threat/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-5-17

Pheu Thai risks charges over public criticism of junta

By THE NATION

2c63d8e19937430674180e9f2c702f11.jpeg

THE National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday pursued legal cases against the Pheu Thai Party after the party read out a statement blaming the ruling junta for failing to properly govern the country in its nearly four years in power.

Some military officers went to notify the police at the Crime Suppression Division.

The move came as the junta government, which has come under increasing criticism for having accomplished little despite the long spell of military rule, plans to launch a “reform festival” next month as its major PR event regarding its much-hyped reform agenda.

The NCPO’s legal officer, Colonel Burin Thongprapai, said that the Pheu Thai statement could have violated the junta ban on political party activities and political gatherings of five or more people. As the statement was read via Facebook Live, they could be deemed to have violated the computer crime act, Burin said.

1cac48ea2da18a0e623f8e632f6b4abd.jpeg

At yesterday’s press conference held under police surveillance, only three key Pheu Thai officials were on-stage to read the statement in order to avoid breaking the junta’s political ban on the gathering of five or more people. The five-page statement, issued as the NCPO is about to complete its fourth anniversary in power, accuses the junta of failing to achieve key promises, including reconciliation, dealing with corruption, protecting rights and democracy and improving the economy.

“They declared that they would reform the political structure but ended up with a Constitution and organic laws that pull democracy far backward and destroy the political party system,” said the statement. “They declared they would reform the economic and social structure but ended up making people poorer. They have not had tangible success with a single reform agenda, despite having invested much of the budget.”

296994eab2a2d2e4923197f53beacabb.jpeg

It also slammed NCPO leader PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha for “failing to show leadership and delaying the election several times and aiming to stay in power for the long-term despite earlier promises”.

“The past four years under the NCPO will take the country into a dark and dangerous future,” it added.

“It is the duty of all Thai people to return to a constitutional monarchy and not allow the absolute regime to destroy democracy any further.”

The junta government is preparing to open a festival on June 6 to raise public awareness of its reform agenda through discussions on 11 aspects of reforms, to be tentatively held at CentralWorld department store. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30345667

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-18

Good on the PT for starting to speak out; I hope that some/all of the pro-Democracy parties might speak up in support; this is a case where it is in the interest of all the Forces of Goodness to stick together, no matter if you like the PTP or not. While I could be wrong, I think it was one of the early Americans fighting the British who said "Either we hang to together or we hang separately". Should the pro-Democracy parties/groups allow themselves to picked off one-by-one, they will only have themselves to blame.

...“They declared that they would reform the political structure but ended up with a Constitution and organic laws that pull democracy far backward and destroy the political party system,” said the statement. “They declared they would reform the economic and social structure but ended up making people poorer. They have not had tangible success with a single reform agenda, despite having invested much of the budget.”...

While I understand that there is lingering dislike and distrust of the PTP (I can't argue with that and won't even try), I hope all will focus on the removal of the Junta as the main priority for the election; if the Thai people allow the Junta another four years to entrench themselves, it'll be almost impossible for the country to move forward and progress into modern times.

The Thai people deserve the leadership of their choice. They also deserve the right to remove that leadership if they so choose.

As well as you have to blame this party for many things in the past, it´s only right to say they state a very clear view about how important it is with freedom of speech and political meetings in a working democratic nation.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“They declared that they would reform the political structure but ended up with a Constitution and organic laws that pull democracy far backward and destroy the political party system,” said the statement. “They declared they would reform the economic and social structure but ended up making people poorer. They have not had tangible success with a single reform agenda, despite having invested much of the budget.”

spot on , tough to be a politician in today's thailand and tell the truth, prosecution and persecution follow

Some military officers went to notify the police at the Crime Suppression Division.

shows where thailand is today; this is a thin-skinned variant of the horrid use of defamation;

irony is, this action brings further public traction to the points in their criticisms

As much as i agree with PT's stance, and as much as i despise the junta, PT basically had the best chance ever to do all the good things that Thailand needs but just couldn't help being corrupt as hell themselves.

Corruption and incompetence appear to be in the DNA of any and all political heavyweights here.

It's a disgrace that the junta is doing things like it is, but until people get off their <deleted> and make a stand to oppose it then it is very hard to sympathise

The move came as the junta government, which has come under increasing criticism for having accomplished little despite the long spell of military rule

Nothing could be truer. Is there anyone who can point to anything the junta has achieved over the four years. The PM makes endless pledges and commitments but has nothing to show for his words. He spends his time micromanaging everything from lewd dancing to beach chairs to the lottery system. Again, anyone care to nominate a worthwhile achievement by the PM? Reducing the road toll? Improving education? Overhauling the RTP? Preventing corruption? Making a start on the HS trains? None of those!

The only thing the junta is successful at is verbalising what they are gunna do. Underachievement is their greatest success.

Four years of nest feathering, wasting money on weaponry, dressing up in costumes and allowing corruption to run rampant is the best they have offered. 

18 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Again, anyone care to nominate a worthwhile achievement by the PM?

Yup, they have eradicated IUU fishing practices...

Oh, hang on... No they haven't have they !!! Damn, thought I was on to a winner there.... 

30 minutes ago, z42 said:

Corruption and incompetence appear to be in the DNA of any and all political heavyweights here.

Not restricted to political heavy weights... Basically, anyone in a position of assumed authority with any kind of access to funds !!

And now Prayuth is backtracking on his previous statement that the established political parties will be able to fully function in June.

It's going to be gradual apparently.

We all know what that means.

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

spot on , tough to be a politician in today's thailand and tell the truth, prosecution and persecution follow

As well as you are right, that ain´t Thai specific. Politicans are pressed to the limits in every country all over the world.

29 minutes ago, Get Real said:

As well as you are right, that ain´t Thai specific. Politicans are pressed to the limits in every country all over the world.

Phew! Good to know. I was thinking it was only Thailand. Great news that it's everywhere. Let it continue, then.

And Thailand thinks it's unique.

39 minutes ago, Get Real said:

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Phew! Good to know. I was thinking it was only Thailand. Great news that it's everywhere. Let it continue, then.

And Thailand thinks it's unique.

Right, so let us be constructive for once, and salvage something from the situation.

As "Get Real" says, it is a worldwide phenomenon.

As " rkidlad" points out Thailand thinks it is unique.

Could this be the opportunity for Thailand to establish itself as a hub?

A real achievement, and a

Lasting legacy for the junta.

Win win all round wouldn't you say?

58 minutes ago, candide said:

It shows how free and fair elections will be.

Freedom is always freedom of dissenters.

With weird defamation laws dissenters here risk a multi-year striped sunburn behind the cell window.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Good on the PT for starting to speak out; I hope that some/all of the pro-Democracy parties might speak up in support; this is a case where it is in the interest of all the Forces of Goodness to stick together, no matter if you like the PTP or not. While I could be wrong, I think it was one of the early Americans fighting the British who said "Either we hang to together or we hang separately". Should the pro-Democracy parties/groups allow themselves to picked off one-by-one, they will only have themselves to blame.

...“They declared that they would reform the political structure but ended up with a Constitution and organic laws that pull democracy far backward and destroy the political party system,” said the statement. “They declared they would reform the economic and social structure but ended up making people poorer. They have not had tangible success with a single reform agenda, despite having invested much of the budget.”...

While I understand that there is lingering dislike and distrust of the PTP (I can't argue with that and won't even try), I hope all will focus on the removal of the Junta as the main priority for the election; if the Thai people allow the Junta another four years to entrench themselves, it'll be almost impossible for the country to move forward and progress into modern times.

The Thai people deserve the leadership of their choice. They also deserve the right to remove that leadership if they so choose.

PT making comments about governmental deeds?

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Col. Burin Thongprapai’s threat was made as the party held a news conference to highlight what it described as seven failures by the military regime four years on since the May 2014 coup d’etat.

I think he does protest too much.  The trenchoen in lieu of conversation.  The Thai military reminds me of a lost Amazonian tribe that has never been exposed to philosophy or critical thinking.   The military has allowed many other parties to gather, why not this one ?    The Thai military is openly engaging in a sham. 

3 hours ago, z42 said:

As much as i agree with PT's stance, and as much as i despise the junta, PT basically had the best chance ever to do all the good things that Thailand needs but just couldn't help being corrupt as hell themselves.

It's a disgrace that the junta is doing things like it is, but until people get off their <deleted> and make a stand to oppose it then it is very hard to sympathise

The stupid thing being if a political party actually tried to reform the system the army would probably orchestrate a coup under some pretense to stop them, as any meaningful reform would drastically affect the army.

8 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

The stupid thing being if a political party actually tried to reform the system the army would probably orchestrate a coup under some pretense to stop them, as any meaningful reform would drastically affect the army.

This 20 year plan is a way to straitjacket future governments. It will be tightly scrutinized by the junta appointed upper house senators for adherence. The junta has cleverly passed a law whereby these crony senators can refer any infraction to the Constitutional Court where future governments could face legal penalties. It is a trapdoor and a set-up for silent coup and continue military dominance.

Archived