Preparing for a bullet.

AllanB

A couple of weeks and we head off to the UK to collect a box full of bits, which will hopefully turn into a 1991 500 RE Bullet, kick start, with right foot gearshift. With nothing available in Portugal I was looking for a bit of advice of what to take back with the bike.

All the chrome is buggad, but there is a powder coaters here and I guess they have a shot blaster. I know it needs a bag of head bearing balls, a carb rubber manifold, plug/points and am waiting to hear about the tyres, but new tubes will be needed. The exhaust will need some heat resistant paint I am guessing.

There is a local guy with a centre lather, mig/tig but he is always busy.

Any idea whether it uses AF or metric headed nuts/bolts?

Yeh, so I know a few of you have built/rebuilt bikes in a parts/materials desert, so something of your experience will be helpful.

Cheers

I've said it before, and I will not repeat it again.

Hitchcocks Motorcycles free paper (which I have) or on line parts and service catalogue.

It is all you will ever need for all things RE in parts and/or knowledge.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Hitchcocks Motorcycles free paper (which I have) or on line parts and service catalogue.

Yes, I recall, but the bike is being assembled in Central Portugal and I want to buy the bits first. Just wondered what addition items would be good.

You have done a few bikes before and wondered about the "fundimentals".

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. Get back to Blighty.

2. Contact Hitchcocks.

3. Ask for the free paper catalogue.

4. Write a list of parts rec'qd and questions you wish to ask.

5. Ask their advice. Tell them your situation. They are a knowledgeable, friendly bunch.

6. Points, condensor, (or cheapo electronic ignition kit), plug, carb rebuild kit, taper roller conversion kit for the headstock, gasket set, etc etc.

7. New socks and underpants.

Cheers. The bike is stripped down to it's g-string, so maybe they have a Haynes or something. I am hoping the crank/conrod is still in one piece, as i don't have a clue how to line that up. Only ever worked on cars with one piece crank a shell bearings.

The bike is kick start and RH gearchange so new thing to learn there too, hopefully I can kick it over with my right foot as my left knee is shot.

6 hours ago, AllanB said:

Cheers. The bike is stripped down to it's g-string, so maybe they have a Haynes or something. I am hoping the crank/conrod is still in one piece, as i don't have a clue how to line that up. Only ever worked on cars with one piece crank a shell bearings.

The bike is kick start and RH gearchange so new thing to learn there too, hopefully I can kick it over with my right foot as my left knee is shot.

I am sure they will have something a bit better than a Haynes manual.

Kick start is on the right, so you want a decent right leg.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking into getting a new RE 500 and saw this. Do you know if Hitchcock’s can ship parts to Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Just looking into getting a new RE 500 and saw this. Do you know if Hitchcock’s can ship parts to Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, they have shipped parts to me in Thailand.

Try and get them to use Royal Mail, far better than the couriers (DHL, Fed Ex, UPS et al) this end regarding customs and import tax.

RM under 2 kgs is also very reasonable in price.

Intrest project, looking at Hitchocks they seem to have all the parts, parts not expensive,

As for the conrod, they look like needle roller bearings, the same as most small Japanese bikes over here, so I would buy the needle roller bearing kit bring it over here and have it done, you might need a new con rod.

My local bike shop has a fly press to split the flywheels, to line them back up they use V blocks and a dial gauge, they should do it ok.

I have had 3 Kawa 125cc GTO's, 2   have done 200 K  km plus, both engines have been stripped and down had new crank pins fitted, more than once, never any problems, just find a  good local bike shop.

You could have then done in the UK, but the weight of those flywheels alone would put you into excess baggage.

Looking at that catalog reminds me of my old Triumph 500, those were the days ...........