Water Drain stub out dilemma

atyclb

water leak under condo sink. thought p trap pipe corroded and bought new one. after digging out hard putty discovered pipe is fine but there is no real stub out. just a lot of hard putty and another pipe lodged internally that is the same diameter as the p trap pipe. actually looks like the straight section of p trap.

see self explanatory pics.

ideas, suggestions, comments appreciated 

P_20180518_140622.jpg

P_20180518_140626.jpg

P_20180518_141127.jpg

drain.jpg

P_20180518_142237.jpg

Go and get a male/female adaptor to extend that pipe .

second option is to insert a black rubber sleeve. This often is for reducing the diameter but you could push a reducer/enlarger back in it to get back to your trap diameter..

Third option if you have ground floor access...use the Birmingham screwdriver, and knock it out and start again, often the easiest way.

10 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Go and get a male/female adaptor to extend that pipe .

second option is to insert a black rubber sleeve. This often is for reducing the diameter but you could push a reducer/enlarger back in it to get back to your trap diameter..

Third option if you have ground floor access...use the Birmingham screwdriver, and knock it out and start again, often the easiest way.

thank you so much for logical ideas. in the interim befor you responded i asked the condo maintenance to fix it.

to my amazement they reinserted the p trap and filled in gap around it with putty. so far not leaking.

my other question is if the blue pvc collar actually extends to the vertical waste pipe or perhaps it doesn't and that is why they used putty to lodge in a straight p trap pipe??  I was thinking to remove that pipe and all the putty and see.

its a good thing these people dont build nuclear reactors or airplanes.

Edited by atyclb

On 5/22/2018 at 9:02 AM, atyclb said:

thank you so much for logical ideas. in the interim befor you responded i asked the condo maintenance to fix it.

to my amazement they reinserted the p trap and filled in gap around it with putty. so far not leaking.

my other question is if the blue pvc collar actually extends to the vertical waste pipe or perhaps it doesn't and that is why they used putty to lodge in a straight p trap pipe??  I was thinking to remove that pipe and all the putty and see.

its a good thing these people dont build nuclear reactors or airplanes.

Just leave it alone until it leaks again...that is the standard way of doing it here ...well that is how mine was located ... when I put the sink back I did the same but silicone first ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Of course you could educate your handyman and insist he do a proper job.

Our local construction shop sells them so I guess most places do.

123rubber.jpg.dcb95ed7e635d613aebd4d811d79a932.jpg

Yep, thats the one fruit trader. These are actually one of their better ideas i.mo.

28 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Just leave it alone until it leaks again...that is the standard way of doing it here ...well that is how mine was located ... when I put the sink back I did the same but silicone first ...

Haha you mean you already have that bodgit and scarper mindset?

Must admit I sometimes do if i cant find the right products

1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

Haha you mean you already have that bodgit and scarper mindset?

Must admit I sometimes do if i cant find the right products

I must have looked in the wrong place for that rubber thing .... when I put the toilet back I bought one of those 'sticky' round things as someone suggested ... would it fit ... NO ... so I ended up re-locating the toilet as it was before ... using grout .... YEP I have slipped into the ThaiWay well and truly ... 

42 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

next time i will use a fitting to go inside the straight p tube then connect to the one that leaves the wall or better do that p tube and create a normal drain stub though will need to putty it in.

given my exposure to downs syndrome people in the usa i think they could do a better job