Can you get a re-entry permit on a 60-days Single Entry Tourist Visa ?

Hi, and friend of me is planning to travel to India, Thailand and Cambodia.  He plans to apply for a Single Entry Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy in Germany.  After his entry into Thailand he plans to stay only 14 days and  then subsequently travel on to Cambodia.   2 months later he wants to re-enter Thailand again.

He asked me if it is possible to buy a re-entry permit on the Single Entry Tourist Visa , so he can use it for another entry when he is coming from Cambodia

I told him that the wording "Single Entry" means that he is actually just entitled to ONE entry,  and that leaving Thailand before the initial 60 days are over, voids the Visa. As the wording tells!  I also told him he could easily return by air or land border and receive a 30-day visa exempt entry (he is German) which he can extend on any immigration office inside Thailand for a fee of 1900 THB for 30 more days.

Yet he insists he can get a re-entry permit on the SETV as he claims to have read this information on a few Thailand Travel Blogs

Edited by crazygreg44

Yes. He can get a re-entry permit on a 60 day tourist entry.

BUT

It only protects his initial permission to stay date which will be until 60 days after his entry. So it will have expired if he goes elsewhere for 2 months.

You are correct, it's no use for his plans.

EDIT If he plans to stay more than 60 days in Thailand after his second entry then just enter the first time on a visa-exemption then get a tourist visa whilst in Cambodia. If the second entry will be less than 60 days just use a visa-exemption and extend if necessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

EDIT If he plans to stay more than 60 days in Thailand after his second entry then just enter the first time on a visa-exemption then get a tourist visa whilst in Cambodia. If the second entry will be less than 60 days just use a visa-exemption and extend if necessary. 

that's what I told him as well . . .

now he has decided to change his travel plans completely . . . first off a long stay in Thailand and the trip to Cambodia afterwards . . . . just fine

He was happy for being informed of the flaws and possible fails of his initial plans and forwarded a thank you !. .  better safe than sorry 

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 2

the topic took a new turn, another friend said that not only can you get a Single Re-Entry permit for a 60-days Single Entry Tourist Visa, but you can also get a Multi-Re-Entry Permit.   Said it only is a matter of the costs, the Single Re-Entry permit costing 1100 THB and the Multi-Re-Entry permit would be 3800 THB.

Is that true, can you get a Multi-Re-Entry permit for a 60-day SETV ?

Edited by crazygreg44

16 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

Is that true, can you get a Multi-Re-Entry permit for a 60-day SETV ?

You can get a multiple re-entry permit for a 60 day entry from a tourist visa.

Not worth the cost unless doing 3 or more entries though. A single is 1000 baht not 1100.

• Like 1

Yes, you can get an exit permit (edit: re entry permit) on a single entry tourist visa. But if you try to re enter it must be before the tourist visa expires. I heard somewhere that you can apply to freeze the date when you are gone so it doesn't count against your visa but I don't know if it is still possible now, it's worth asking though.

Edited by vinegarbase
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

Yes, you can get an exit permit on a single entry tourist visa. But if you try to re enter it must be before the tourist visa expires. I heard somewhere that you can apply to freeze the date when you are gone so it doesn't count against your visa but I don't know if it is still possible now, it's worth asking though.

Thailand does not have exit permits. Only a re-entry permit.

A re-entry permit would keep the remainder of the 60 day entry valid on entry to the country. It gives no addition days.

For example if a person left the country on the 15th day of the 60 days and entered on the 30th day he would be stamped in until the 60th day of the entry.

• Like 1

Could your friend get 60 day Visa... Come to Thailand initially but not use the visa (leave the visa number section on the arrival card blank) at that time but instead get a 30 day Visa on arrival... stay for the 14 days travel out of Thailand and return and use the 60 day visa (before its validity expires)...

15 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Could your friend get 60 day Visa... Come to Thailand initially but not use the visa (leave the visa number section on the arrival card blank) at that time but instead get a 30 day Visa on arrival... stay for the 14 days travel out of Thailand and return and use the 60 day visa (before its validity expires)...

this is another possibility and he had in mind to do exactly that! Thanks for mentioning it!

Yet now he changed his plans completely and will stay in Thailand first for a prolonged holiday before he leaves for Cambodia, thus receiving the full expenditure on his 60 days SETV