Post Office in Chiang Mai that handles Inbound parcels with Customs Duty Due?

Kohsamida

Anybody know which post office handles this.  I know it is one of them in the Old City but can't remember which one it is?

What I'm really trying to do is find out why my parcel being delivered from USA has been held up in Bangkok Customs since May 5 (Today is May 23). 

I'm not sure if I should be concerned, or things are just happening on "Thai Time" but tracking info has not changed since May 5 when it landed in Customs and I have received no notifications from Customs or from Post Office, so not sure who I should contact to find out what's going on and figured maybe the Post Office here in CM could help.

Any experience with this kind of delay, or suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, CMsojourner said:

FYI - This week the main post office (postal code 50000) and its services moved back to its original location on Charoen Muang (just west of the CM Railway Station). Main Post Office - Satellite View

The post Office I have had to go to in order to pick up parcels from abroad and pay duty was located in the Old City but I can;t remember which on it is.  Do you know?  What I remember is that it was in a 2 story building and the post office was on the second floor.

Edited by Kohsamida

33 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

The post Office I have had to go to in order to pick up parcels from abroad and pay duty was located in the Old City but I can;t remember which on it is.  Do you know?  What I remember is that it was in a 2 story building and the post office was on the second floor.

While I do not know which station you went to before, here are a couple of post office numbers you might try calling to see if they know or go to the main post office and ask them in person: 053-241-640, 053-244-533. Best wishes.

20 minutes ago, fcgprg said:

It sounds like the Post Office near Wat Phra Singh,on Sam Lan Road in the Old City.

Yes!  Pictures look like I remember.  Thanks!  For anyone else needing to know the Thai Post branch you go to when customs duty is payable, this is the one.

Edited by Kohsamida

My latest package from the US was held up in Customs at the airport. Normally I have to pick up packages, and pay import duties at the Pra Sing post office, but for some reason, this one didn't get that far. I had to take my tracking number to the Airport (it's in the building just after the main Arrivals/Departures building, first floor with 'Customs' on the door) show my passport (which they charged 4 baht to copy) and sign some forms. It took about 20 minutes, in and out.

17 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

My latest package from the US was held up in Customs at the airport. Normally I have to pick up packages, and pay import duties at the Pra Sing post office, but for some reason, this one didn't get that far. I had to take my tracking number to the Airport (it's in the building just after the main Arrivals/Departures building, first floor with 'Customs' on the door) show my passport (which they charged 4 baht to copy) and sign some forms. It took about 20 minutes, in and out.

Did your tracking indicate that it had left BKK and was being held at CNX  airport?  That sounds odd to me.  I thought customs clearance only occurred in Bangkok.

i am waiting now for 14 days for my parcel from US to clear customs.  My tracking shows last update on May 10 at Bangkok customs, and has not updated since.  I don’t know if I should be concerned or not.  Called Bangkok Customs and just got a 20 minute run-around with no resolution.  My declaration was prepared perfectly so I don’t understand why so long.

27 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

i am waiting now for 14 days for my parcel from US to clear customs.  My tracking shows last update on May 10 at Bangkok customs, and has not updated since.  I don’t know if I should be concerned or not.  Called Bangkok Customs and just got a 20 minute run-around with no resolution.  My declaration was prepared perfectly so I don’t understand why so long.

Parcels from foreign countries,

from USA often has a 2-3 week delay at Lak Si (no explanation, just held there).

from China usually dispatched the same day.

That's with no duty to pay.

Makes me go Hmmmmmmm .................

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Parcels from foreign countries,

from USA often has a 2-3 week delay at Lak Si (no explanation, just held there).

from China usually dispatched the same day.

That's with no duty to pay.

Makes me go Hmmmmmmm .................

Agree.  I have lots of deliveries from China via Lazada.  They come quickly.  

4 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Agree.  I have lots of deliveries from China via Lazada.  They come quickly.  

My last US order from iHerb, 1 week to get to Lak Si, 3 weeks from Lak Si to my home (China orders generally 3 days from Lak Si to my home).

I online chatted with iHerb to ask what was happening after 2 weeks, and they said "we don't know either, but it's normal for DHL/Lak Si to keep it until our 'deliver by date', please wait until the day passes before requesting a refund", It arrived on the last day.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My last US order from iHerb, 1 week to get to Lak Si, 3 weeks from Lak Si to my home (China orders generally 3 days from Lak Si to my home).

I online chatted with iHerb to ask what was happening after 2 weeks, and they said "we don't know either, but it's normal for DHL/Lak Si to keep it until our 'deliver by date', please wait until the day passes before requesting a refund", It arrived on the last day.

iHerb seems to have horrible delivery time.  I didn't know they use DHL but that might be why.  Couriers such as DHL, FedEx, UPS, are scrutinized by Customs much more than parcels coming through the mail system, so if value is over 1,000 baht, it's almost certain that Customs will delay delivery with an inspection and a duty charge.

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Did your tracking indicate that it had left BKK and was being held at CNX  airport?  That sounds odd to me.  I thought customs clearance only occurred in Bangkok.

This last order was from China via Aliba. I received no notice what so ever, but after seeing it static as 'held in Bangkok,' I asked for a tracking number from Aliba, took that to the Airport, and found my package there. They asked me for a post office notice, but I never received one. At first they wanted me to go back to the post office and get one, but I protested that I already had the tracking number and if indeed it was at the airport, they would be charging me 'storage fee' because it had been there two weeks already. They acquiesced, traced the tracking number in their computer, found the box, did in fact charge me two week's storage fees (50 baht) and then proceeded to tack on the several different import duties which amounted to almost 40% of the total cost of the item.

18 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

This last order was from China via Aliba. I received no notice what so ever, but after seeing it static as 'held in Bangkok,' I asked for a tracking number from Aliba, took that to the Airport, and found my package there. They asked me for a post office notice, but I never received one. At first they wanted me to go back to the post office and get one, but I protested that I already had the tracking number and if indeed it was at the airport, they would be charging me 'storage fee' because it had been there two weeks already. They acquiesced, traced the tracking number in their computer, found the box, did in fact charge me two week's storage fees (50 baht) and then proceeded to tack on the several different import duties which amounted to almost 40% of the total cost of the item.

So how did you think to contact the airport??  I am in the same exact situation.  My tracking has been static since May 10 saying the package is in Bangkok at Customs.  Did you call Customs at CNX airport first before heading over?  If so, do you have aphone number?

4 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

So how did you think to contact the airport??  I am in the same exact situation.  My tracking has been static since May 10 saying the package is in Bangkok at Customs.  Did you call Customs at CNX airport first before heading over?  If so, do you have aphone number?

I had been in the same situation once before with an order of fencing equipment from the UK. It turned out that because the swords weren't assembled, they couldn't decide if they should charge import duty on sports equipment or as import steel as the majority of the order was epee and sabre blades.  This time, I just took a shot in the dark and went over there with my tracking number in hand, walked in the door and asked.  Sorry, but I don't have any phone numbers.

7 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

You just gave me a great idea.

I'm going to print and staple two copies of my passport pages in my passport just to avoid any future delays in a Thai office   (banks, airports, hotels, Border crossings, immigration, utility companies,  and  {what did I leave out?}.   ?

Thanks..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I had been in the same situation once before with an order of fencing equipment from the UK. It turned out that because the swords weren't assembled, they couldn't decide if they should charge import duty on sports equipment or as import steel as the majority of the order was epee and sabre blades.  This time, I just took a shot in the dark and went over there with my tracking number in hand, walked in the door and asked.  Sorry, but I don't have any phone numbers.

So, my parcel could be sitting at CNX airport even though tracking still shows in Bangkok customs?  Thai customs and the post office are a pain in the a** !  Never get a break with them!

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

So, my parcel could be sitting at CNX airport even though tracking still shows in Bangkok customs?  Thai customs and the post office are a pain in the a** !  Never get a break with them!

Could be. If you don't live too far from the airport, I'd imagine it would be worth a ride over there. For that matter, even if you DO live far from the airport, all you may lose is time and a little gas. And with the possibility of a win....

17 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Could be. If you don't live too far from the airport, I'd imagine it would be worth a ride over there. For that matter, even if you DO live far from the airport, all you may lose is time and a little gas. And with the possibility of a win....

I'll probably do that.  I just think it's not very business-like for them to handle things like that...and then to charge you storage when they didn't even update the tracking...Wow!

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

I'll probably do that.  I just think it's not very business-like for them to handle things like that...and then to charge you storage when they didn't even update the tracking...Wow!

Your expectations are way beyond what is reasonable for this place.

48 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Your expectations are way beyond what is reasonable for this place.

In some respects that's true but in others, I'm often surprised (in a good way).  The bureaucracy of the place can really get to you, but on a personal level most Thai people I've come in contact with are truly amazing human beings.