Southern Thais report 200 million baht gold share scam to police

webfact

Southern Thais report 200 million baht gold share scam to police

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRg3daxWk5Qa0U12MF.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thais in Sadao and Hat Yai districts of Songkhla thought they were onto something good when they invested in cheap gold on Facebook.

The people running the scheme were selling gold that they said came from pawn shops - it was available at only 16,000 baht per baht weight, well under the price at gold shops.

Interest was also offered if the gold was not delivered within 10 days.

Many people invested and some got a profit in the early days.

But then like other such scams the money dried up and the funds transferred to the fraudsters were a one way street.

Yesterday 40 people went to Klong Nge police to jointly register a complaint.

The con is expected to have defrauded hundreds of around 200 million baht.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-24

20 minutes ago, tagalong said:

300sd....GREED!  Greed has nothing to do with it.,..You 300sd, do not invest in the best return when u can! 

The unfortunate investors saw an opportunity n it turned out to be a bad one.. 

Please explain your post more clearly.

Are you accusing 300sd of being ignorant for not investing in what should to most  appear to be an obvious scam?

Two questions for those knowledgeable about 23k Thai gold:

1. Isn't the international fixed gold price based on 24k gold and, if so, how can Thailand charge the same price for 96.5% gold?  Shouldn't one demand 99.999% gold or is that a different price?

2.When you purchase a large amount of gold from a Thai gold shop, they ask for a passport.  Why is this?  I told the merchant that I wished to remain anonymous as I valued my life.  She said that it was only for their records.

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

Two questions for those knowledgeable about 23k Thai gold:

1. Isn't the international fixed gold price based on 24k gold and, if so, how can Thailand charge the same price for 96.5% gold?  Shouldn't one demand 99.999% gold or is that a different price?

2.When you purchase a large amount of gold from a Thai gold shop, they ask for a passport.  Why is this?  I told the merchant that I wished to remain anonymous as I valued my life.  She said that it was only for their records.

1. Different prices

2. Money laundering

Thanks Swissie for your comment.

Sheryl or any moderator: Please put this in the business forum.

World price is approximately $1300 for one ounce of 100% gold.  Thais charge 40, 300B ($1300 x 31B) for one ounce of 96.5% gold.  It seems to me that they should only charge 38,889.50B (40,300B x .965)

If you buy $35-50k USD of gold, you could be suspected of being a money launderer?  If so then the police would just confiscate your gold until they figure it out, which would be never.  This is pretty scary.

Archived