Visa hell need to cancel work permit

I recently got a 90day work permit and was about to start my job, I have been trying to apply for my 1 year extension for months and immigration has been making it impossible for me to extend. Every time I go there is something wrong with my paperwork or something else they need that no one has ever heard of or had to do. Things like complaining about the color ink that is in the documents I give them all the way to claiming they don't believe the original documents are real, this despite me already handing them these same documents when I originally applied for my 90day non b and them verifying with my employer. 

Anyways, I realized that this was really just about them not wanting me to get the visa or them wanting a bribe which I will not give them so they have made it impossible. My work visa expires on the 28th which is next Monday. My issue is that I heard I need to get a letter of cancellation from my employer and take that and return my work permit. If I do that tomorrow do I need to leave the country within 24hrs? Do I still need to go in person to immigration to cancel my visa as well. I think I will only have time to maybe go tomorrow (Friday) afternoon to return and cancel the work permit but immigration will be closed by the time I get there and then it will be the weekend. I have plane tickets to leave on Sunday. Will me not being able to go to immigration to cancel cause me any problems getting future visas? I say this because I am probably going to go out and try to get a tourist visa and come back to look for other options in another city.

Thank you

But I already had the work contract and work permit? Technically my work started this week according to my contract but I couldn't because I was busy trying to appease immigration before my 90 day non b expires on the 28th. Don't I need to return my work permit?

Edited by vinegarbase

18 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

But I already had the work contract and work permit? Technically my work started this week according to my contract but I couldn't because I was busy trying to appease immigration before my 90 day non b expires on the 28th. Don't I need to return my work permit?

Your 90 day permit to stay will remain valid. Immigration will not cancel it.

You work permit has nothing to do with your current permit to stay. It can be canceled at any time.

Then immigration was lying to me again. They told me I must cancel and return my work permit right away and then come to immigration so they can cancel my visa and I must leave the country the same day. I thought they were lying and misleading me based on them doing the same to me these past few months. I figured at the least if I just returned my work permit tomorrow before I leave this weekend it should be good enough. Thanks so much for the help.

How can the DoL give a WP for longer than your visa? Or is it up until the end of your visa.

If they asked for a bribe, call the national corruption hotline. the government is coming down hard on immigration and all other police. 

In one immigration centre in Isarn, they made all the corrupt staff sit outside in April! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

How can the DoL give a WP for longer than your visa?

A work permit is not tied to your permit to stay (not a visa). Many people get one year work permits while on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

I recently got a 90day work permit and was about to start my job, I have been trying to apply for my 1 year extension for months and immigration has been making it impossible for me to extend.

The reason for the extension issues may well be that the work permit is only valid for 90 days, immigration would not normally extend for one year based on work using a 90 day work permit.

14 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

My work visa expires on the 28th which is next Monday. My issue is that I heard I need to get a letter of cancellation from my employer and take that and return my work permit. If I do that tomorrow do I need to leave the country within 24hrs?

As Ubonjoe has stated, you can cancel the work permit anytime, this does not cancel your permission to stay up to the date stamped in your passport (admitted until) as this was a visa entry, not an extension of stay, you say that the visa expires, do you mean the visa enter before date or your admitted until date?

If you still have time left on both the work permit and your permission to stay, then there is no reason why you cannot work until one of the other dates expire.

@Mattd I already have applied for and received my 90day non b in Thailand, and my work permit. My 90 day non b expires on the 28th. I was trying to apply for the extension to get 1 year non b and apply for a 1 year non o for my family but immigration over these past 3 months on purpose kept making up requirements that are not in the law but merely their discretion.

When it got to the point where they were questioning the color of ink in original documents I was giving them from my company and other impossible requests I said I am done playing your games and am not doing this anymore. I just wasn't sure the correct procedure to cancel this.  My company called immigration and they told me that before I need to leave that I need to get a letter of contract cancellation from my company and go to Department of Labor to turn in my work permit. From there get a letter from them and then present it to immigration where they would cancel my visa and have to leave the same day. It didn't seem right so I came here to ask. 

So I will go to department of labor today to turn in my work permit and just fly out on Sunday the 27th before my visa expires on the 28th. I will say one thing I am so glad to be done with this visa nightmare and get out of here. Maybe China will finish taking over one day and finally upgrade them into the 21st century.

Edited by vinegarbase

Tried to call that Corruption hotline. Good luck on getting a human to answer that. I should have known that was just for appearances and a number to nowhere. Even the Corruption hotline number is corrupt, how to report that? Wow.

8 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

My 90 day non b expires on the 28th. I was trying to apply for the extension to get 1 year non b

You seem to be mixing up terms.

Are you talking about your non B visa expiring or your permission to stay ending?  The expiration of the visa is largely irrelevant at this point.

Immigrations would (presumably) be giving you an extension of stay based on employment, not a 1 year non B visa.

You also seem to be frustrated, some of which may be justified and some self-inflicted.

I said I am done playing your games and am not doing this anymore.

Immigrations officers have to deal with a lot of people with attitude and they also may be unwilling to play games with those who think they know best. Clearly you're somewhat confused by what you have and what you need to do ... again somewhat understandable ... but leaping to the conclusion that corruption is the cause of your problems may be a leap of another kind. Probably would have been best to hire someone to deal with it all or for your employer to have held your hand through the process.

I suspect you would not fare that well in Thailand if complying with bureaucracy sends you up the wall so easily.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

@Mattd I already have applied for and received my 90day non b in Thailand, and my work permit. My 90 day non b expires on the 28th. I was trying to apply for the extension to get 1 year non b and apply for a 1 year non o for my family but immigration over these past 3 months on purpose kept making up requirements that are not in the law but merely their discretion.

When it got to the point where they were questioning the color of ink in original documents I was giving them from my company and other impossible requests I said I am done playing your games and am not doing this anymore. I just wasn't sure the correct procedure to cancel this.  My company called immigration and they told me that before I need to leave that I need to get a letter of contract cancellation from my company and go to Department of Labor to turn in my work permit. From there get a letter from them and then present it to immigration where they would cancel my visa and have to leave the same day. It didn't seem right so I came here to ask. 

So I will go to department of labor today to turn in my work permit and just fly out on Sunday the 27th before my visa expires on the 28th. I will say one thing I am so glad to be done with this visa nightmare and get out of here. Maybe China will finish taking over one day and finally upgrade them into the 21st century.

China are a bit sensative about color of ink also..... black

• Like 1

It's times like this, that having a 3rd party handle the paperwork and submissions for you makes sense. It may cost you 10,000bht, but the peace of mind is priceless. My company does my visa and WP for me, and it is a breeze. These immigration officers know these people that do the submissions on a first name basis, and they see each other every day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 4:14 PM, csabo said:

Idk why so many people think you need to cancel a WP that has an expiry date stamped right in it. Mine expired. I stopped working the same day. Done. 

Because if you don't cancel the work permit and try to get another job you will run into problems because you have an existing work permit. 

On 5/26/2018 at 12:52 AM, scoutman360 said:

It's times like this, that having a 3rd party handle the paperwork and submissions for you makes sense. It may cost you 10,000bht, but the peace of mind is priceless. My company does my visa and WP for me, and it is a breeze. These immigration officers know these people that do the submissions on a first name basis, and they see each other every day.

Believe me, I wish I knew that in the beginning. I was promised help before I even started and was still overseas and was told it was an easy process and nothing to worry "Jai Yen Yen" but it ended up being me pretty much doing everything myself and after spending 4 months of immigration just flat out playing games with me and causing me trouble on purpose I ultimately had to give up. I bear witness, be 100% your company will handle everything for you or deals with an agent themselves or you go through an agent. Don't dare deal with Thailand immigration corruption 4.0 by yourself. Better yet just stay away from Thailand because their regulations are getting too much and the red tape is getting out of hand.