Funny Quote From Tot

Drew345

I called my friends house this morning and got this recoreded message.

"The number you are trying to call is broken and is being under repaired."

I don't have much faith the line will be up this afternoon.

Drew

Drew

(Assuming your first language is English or American.)

Yes, very funny. Would you expect a perfect Thai-language message on an out-of-order telephone line in the UK or the US?

Oh, and while I'm at it, when you wrote ''I called my friends house this morning and got this recoreded message'', did you mean to say ''I called my friend's house this morning and got this recorded message''.

Drew

Yes, very funny. Would you expect a perfect Thai-language message on an out-of-order telephone line in the UK or the US?

Oh, and while I'm at it, when you wrote ''I called my friends house this morning and got this recoreded message'', did you mean to say ''I called my friend's house this morning and got this recorded message''.

Frankly IF there had to be a Thai recorded message in the US or the UK, YES it would be perfect becuase it would be proofed and double checked by a qualified Thai speaker, where as in LOS it's more of a 'that'll do' attitude.

It is a funny message and Tot deserve to be laughed at, there are enough very good English/Thai speakers in this country and in my opinion it's just pure laziness that Thai businesses don't bother to find them.

My 2 Satang

Drew

Frankly IF there had to be a Thai recorded message in the US or the UK, YES it would be perfect becuase it would be proofed and double checked by a qualified Thai speaker, where as in LOS it's more of a 'that'll do' attitude.

It is a funny message and Tot deserve to be laughed at, there are enough very good English/Thai speakers in this country and in my opinion it's just pure laziness that Thai businesses don't bother to find them.

My 2 Satang

"I called my friend's house....."

"HELLO, house! How are you doing?" Shut up Phil, enough nitpickers already, we know what you meant. :D

I don't think it's so much a "that'll do" attitude, I think it's just that the Thai's are reluctant to admit that they sometimes might just possibly need some help from us damm farangs. You see crap translations everywhere from official forms and signs down to restaurant menus.

Restaurants out in the sticks have an excuse but in places like Pattaya, Bangkok or Chiang Mai there's plenty of native English speakers who'd be only too glad to cast a critical eye over the translation. Most would probably do it for free or at most a free meal or couple of beers.

Mind you some of the native English speakers may not be best qualified to proof read English translations. :o

Could that be a business idea? Proof reading translations, hmmmmm.

[

I don't think it's so much a "that'll do" attitude, I think it's just that the Thai's are reluctant to admit that they sometimes might just possibly need some help from us damm farangs. You see crap translations everywhere from official forms and signs down to restaurant menus.

My own personal fave is when some big company takes an expensive full centre spread advert out in the Bangkok Post to typically advertise their latest des-res swanky condo building with dreadful and pretentious blurbs, like; "Your elegant is our sophistication. Admirably" or some other such crap. *chuckle* :o

Edited by kmart

My fav. is when you see T-shirts which typos or gramma errors. Which seems to be all too common here.

I mean it's one thing when you don't get the quick handwritten english sign proofed, but when you go to all the trouble of having a screen made and printing (probably) thousands of T-shirts you'd think they'd proof it.... i guess not though.

P.S.

Give me a break. So your saying we should expect all signs/recordings/etc written in a language other than the country it is in to be wrong, or atleast shouldn't point out the fact that it's wrong?

Drew

I would certainly be very surprised to hear a perfect Thai language message on an out of order line in the UK.I would wonder why a relatively obscure and internationally insignificant language of a medium sized developing country in SE Asia was being used to convey information to a British or possibly international audience.If the language used, other than English for the domestic audience, was for international consumption and in one or more of the recognised international languages, eg Japanese, Chinese,French,Arabic,German,Spanish etc I would certainly expect it to be be perfect.I would assume that the people responsible would not tolerate a lazy and second rate approach by using somebody who did not have a mother tongue (or near) grasp of the language concerned.

Summary: There is no excuse for the slovenly practice of sub-standard English in Thailand in official or corporate communications.

Drew

My 2 Satang

No, the point(s), in no particular order, are:

1. Yes, it's almost funny.

2. I used to be amazed at the bad English on signs in shops like Tesco. Then I met an Englishman working in Tesco's head office in Bangkok. He explained that the translation was the responsibility of each branch manager. Once a translation had been done, no corrections/criticisms were made, because (all together now) the manager would lose face. Nothing to do with ''that'll do'' or laziness. (And yes, I should have realised that was the reason.)

3. If you're going to take the piss ... sorry ... share a very funny, nay, hilarious linguistic blunder made by John Foreigner Esq., the least you can do is share it in a post that doesn't contain grammatical and spelling errors of your own that a smartarse like me can then mock when bored at work ...

4. (And I almost didn't add this one) Given the crap signs I've seen in supermarkets (for example) in both the UK and the US that say things like ''Less than 10 items only'', then I'm not sure why you think a Thai recorded message in either place would be perfect, proofed and double checked.

Don't know who you talked to in Tesco but he's telling you nonsense.I knew the former Thailand Tesco boss.Mike Raycraft,a liitle.He wasn't exactly Mr Sensitivity and when a few years ago the Upper Sukhumvit branch prominently displayed a mis-spelling of the shop signage (ok a bit different from a poor translation but same principle applies) there was hel_l to pay.The suggestion that the mistake was retained to preserve the manager's face is comically off target, and is the sort of comment only a newly arrived farang with a head full of William Klausner's cultural tips (not knocking him by the way) would make.No senior Thai manager worth his salt would take such a self indulgent position.

Drew

My 2 Satang

2. I used to be amazed at the bad English on signs in shops like Tesco. Then I met an Englishman working in Tesco's head office in Bangkok. He explained that the translation was the responsibility of each branch manager. Once a translation had been done, no corrections/criticisms were made, because (all together now) the manager would lose face. Nothing to do with ''that'll do'' or laziness. (And yes, I should have realised that was the reason.)

3. If you're going to take the piss ... sorry ... share a very funny, nay, hilarious linguistic blunder made by John Foreigner Esq., the least you can do is share it in a post that doesn't contain grammatical and spelling errors of your own that a smartarse like me can then mock when bored at work ...

4. (And I almost didn't add this one) Given the crap signs I've seen in supermarkets (for example) in both the UK and the US that say things like ''Less than 10 items only'', then I'm not sure why you think a Thai recorded message in either place would be perfect, proofed and double checked.

The message would be in perfect Thai, Swahili or whatever other language the UK or US needed to use at the time, reason being westerners don't like to look like idiots and don't like to be embarrassed. We just make sure things are written correctly, and they usually are if not they are quickly corrected usually with an apology.

Anywho whats up with 'less than 10 items only', always made sense to me?! :D

I know the Thai's don't get it though, love it when they come into the que with a trolly full a stuff :o !

Whats incorrect about a sign saying "Less than 10 items only"?

Makes sense to me?

A traditional rule of English usage holds that less should be used only of uncountable things, that is, things that can be measured but not counted as discrete units. Thus "less electricity," "less than a quart," "less doubt." Fewer, on the other hand, should be used only of things that can be counted: "fewer people," "fewer cars." According to this rule, less should modify plural nouns only when they suggest combination into a unit, group, or aggregation. Thus "less than three miles" (with "three miles" being a single distance, not three individual miles), "less than $50" (fifty dollars as a sum of money, not fifty one-dollar bills).

it seems quite clear that "item" is a countable thing no matter how you look at it. Not only is it conceptually countable, but in the scenario you mention, ten items would be permissible for a place on the express line, but eleven would not, period. (Of course, how one determines an "item" is up to the supermarket--a bag of four onions could be considered one bag or four individual onions. Either way, however, you are asked to conform to a specific number, not a general quantity.) So if you're strictly adhering to the traditional rule, you'd have to say that "10 items or less" is not acceptable, and it should properly read "10 items or fewer." Since, as mentioned, the "or less" construction is common even with countables, and the "rule" is not based on much anyway, I myself wouldn't worry about correcting the supermarket.

Don't know who you talked to in Tesco but he's telling you nonsense.I knew the former Thailand Tesco boss.Mike Raycraft,a liitle.He wasn't exactly Mr Sensitivity and when a few years ago the Upper Sukhumvit branch prominently displayed a mis-spelling of the shop signage (ok a bit different from a poor translation but same principle applies) there was hel_l to pay.The suggestion that the mistake was retained to preserve the manager's face is comically off target, and is the sort of comment only a newly arrived farang with a head full of William Klausner's cultural tips (not knocking him by the way) would make.No senior Thai manager worth his salt would take such a self indulgent position.

Sorry, no idea who Mike Raycraft or William Klausner are (were). Interesting that Mr Raycraft is the former Thailand Tesco boss, though. Perhaps something to do with him not being ''Mr Sensitivity''. I'm neither ''newly arrived'', nor able to comment on your ''comically off target'' remark. Simply repeating what I was told by a farang Tesco employee in Thailand. Made sense to me. Perhaps I'm stupid/gullable.

The message would be in perfect Thai, Swahili or whatever other language the UK or US needed to use at the time, reason being westerners don't like to look like idiots and don't like to be embarrassed. We just make sure things are written correctly, and they usually are if not they are quickly corrected usually with an apology.

I know the Thai's don't get it though, love it when they come into the que with a trolly full a stuff :o !

''Anywho whats up with 'less than 10 items only', always made sense to me?!''

That's OK, obviously English isn't your first language (''que''?).

''reason being westerners don't like to look like idiots and don't like to be embarrassed''

No, they don't like to look like idiots, do they? See how they whine ... (in very grammatically and syntactically incorrect posts it would seem).

(Oh, and at least one supermarket in the UK ... I noticed last time I was there ... had decided enough was enough and changed ''x items or less'' to ''x items or fewer'', and ISTR, Shaw's in the (NE) US did too. And, yes, I may be a ######, but I don't take the piss out of foreigners who can't speak/write English as well as I can -- OK, except Americans -- without being able to speak/write English better than the OP myself.)

Excuse the hash/pound signs, apparently Thai Visa doesn't like me describing myself as a w a n k e r.

My favourite is Sophon Cable TV.

On their ad they have such classics as;

"Quickly for installation"

"Modern news and variety language"

"For repairer contact ....."

If I had a business that was going to advertise to Thais I would at least have a native speaker or someone who is proven to be competent in the language check the spelling before it went to (and in this case, stayed on) air.

These are typical examples of Thai management. Half-assed, lazy and usually only hiring family and friends to important positions regardless of their incompetence.

''Anywho whats up with 'less than 10 items only', always made sense to me?!''

That's OK, obviously English isn't your first language (''que''?).

''reason being westerners don't like to look like idiots and don't like to be embarrassed''

No, they don't like to look like idiots, do they? See how they whine ... (in very grammatically and syntactically incorrect posts it would seem).

(Oh, and at least one supermarket in the UK ... I noticed last time I was there ... had decided enough was enough and changed ''x items or less'' to ''x items or fewer'', and ISTR, Shaw's in the (NE) US did too. And, yes, I may be a ######, but I don't take the piss out of foreigners who can't speak/write English as well as I can -- OK, except Americans -- without being able to speak/write English better than the OP myself.)

Excuse the hash/pound signs, apparently Thai Visa doesn't like me describing myself as a w a n k e r.

Whats the deal with the nit picking? This isn't a place thats for official business if it were every word would be spellchecked and grammer proofed. If I were writing for a newspaper there would be NO mistakes. As for foreingners who don't speak the language as well, no problem, BUT if your using the language in an official or business way take the time to get it checked by someone who does, as I said laziness.

I don't think it's laziness. I think it's a backyard-operation mentality. It shows in every business, from the smallest to the largest, here. The same reason a tour bus doesn't have a spare wheel. Or why Swampiburi is sinking. NOTHING is done properly, or with care. That is what scares me about hospitals here.... Why would they be any different from ALL other businesses in Thailand? No reason. Had good results/service? You were lucky, that's all. Tomorrow your luck will probably change. :o

Why complain? That's the charm of the place innit.

Edited by OlRedEyes

Here's a quote from the website of the resort where my house is located:

If you are looking for the perfectly relax with worth in your life.

Phupimarn resort Farm and Spa is the paradise that you look for.

We wish you come to touch with magical on this paradise that over your imagine by your self.

Edited by dclaryjr

I don't think I've ever seen a sign stating, "Less than 10 items only." I've only seen the use of "fewer." I think the original poster of this remark made the mistake of "less" instead of "fewer", not the supermarkets. I don't know; maybe it is wrong in the UK.

Edited by jbsears

We wish you come to touch with magical on this paradise that over your imagine by your self.

haha brilliant!!

Engrish isn't exclusively a Thai thing, take a look at this great website! www.engrish.com

Engrish isn't so bad, ok maybe it doesn't give the best impression of the business but it sure is fun to see it.

now I think I'll go order some Fish & Ship.

My own personal fave is when some big company takes an expensive full centre spread advert out in the Bangkok Post to typically advertise their latest des-res swanky condo building with dreadful and pretentious blurbs, like; "Your elegant is our sophistication. Admirably" or some other such crap. *chuckle* :o

Hey wait a minute, I think I edited that...

Okay people, quit picking on my customers...

(Just kidding. I think... :o)