Shipping 20 ft container from US to Thailand questions.

sirineou

11 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well as the guy above said, different people in different situations, but isn't that getting a little weird?

Of course Love is an expression but if you own a home a good pressure washer is a must. Cleans the black mold off stuff, works great for removing the mud off my truck after I go off roading and cleans tile with ease.  

Edited by JAFO

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Self propelled walk behind lawn mower, 4000 psi pressure washer, generator (i know the 220v it produces is not ideal for Thailand but it will run my tools and some things for the house  if power went out) , air compressor and assorted tools,  leaf blower, bosch demolition hammer,   18v Milwaukee cordless (drill, impact gun, flashlight, 5" grinder, weed wacker, leaf blower) . skill saws, sawzalls etc,  Assorted hand tools,  garden tools etc.

Seriously???????

You can hire a guy to come and cut the grass for a few baht, generators, pressure washers and air compressors plus all those other things available here.

Leaf blower. Really?

Demolition hammer?????? I thought you were retiring here. 

I know how you feel, as I too hate giving up things, but seriously, you need to rethink this.

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Of course Love is an expression but if you own a home a good pressure washer is a must. Cleans the black mold off stuff, works great for removing the mud off my truck after I go off roading and cleans tile with ease.  

Every big home store sells pressure washers that work on Thai electricity.

Well as you say you were ASE mechanic which is nothing to snicker at but for me I rent a home, have 20 year old 100 cc Honda Wave, no BBQ stainless steel or otherwise, no truck, no tile, no yard to mow, etc.

Your life sounds like the phrase "bus man's holiday" that you are doing the same things in Thailand that you did back home except now you do them in Thailand. Well OK for some but not for me.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Seriously???????
You can hire a guy to come and cut the grass for a few baht, generators, pressure washers and air compressors plus all those other things available here.
Leaf blower. Really?
I know how you feel, as I too hate giving up things, but seriously, you need to rethink this.

You have to do something with your time. Doing stuff you like to do around the house provides a little exercise is not just free, but saves money.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

You have to do something with your time. Doing stuff you like to do around the house provides a little exercise is not just free, but saves money.

I know that. I spent 4 years upgrading two of the family's houses and tidying up the surrounds. 

The tools I used were an angle grinder for cutting concrete pavers and walls etc, a circular saw ( good one ), screwdrivers and some spanners. I bought a good ladder for getting into the ceiling and up trees and a cheap machete, hand saw. The most expensive thing I bought was a Makita hammer drill at 5,000 baht. In my entire time working on the houses, I probably spent 10,000 baht or less on tools.

Grass, 5555555555. I paved everything. At 8 baht a paver, it's an attractive alternative to mud. Excellent exercise digging out the ground for the sand.

15 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well as you say you were ASE mechanic which is nothing to snicker at but for me I rent a home, have 20 year old 100 cc Honda Wave, no BBQ stainless steel or otherwise, no truck, no tile, no yard to mow, etc.

Your life sounds like the phrase "bus man's holiday" that you are doing the same things in Thailand that you did back home except now you do them in Thailand. Well OK for some but not for me.

Right. I have no idea why anyone would want to retire in LOS, only to do the same things that they did back home.

The great thing about LOS is that doing it Thai style is so cheap. Who needs to import a stainless steel BBQ when the wife can cook on one of those clay BBQ pots with some charcoal?

I'm being judgemental, but sound like the OP wants to carry on living like he was "back home", rather than in LOS, Thai style. I just don't get the point of going to all that trouble just to have a load of stuff that either never gets used, or hardly used.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

You will use them and will be quite thankful you have them here, believe me. I love my pressure washer

bingo! i am about to buy the fourth pressure washer since 2006! :sick:

A tangential question: what do you do if you want to ship stuff (US to Thailand) but have gotten rid of most of your stuff and don't have enough to fill a 20'? Before becoming nomadic, I moved everything I was keeping into a 10'x10' storage unit, where it remains at $80/month. If I settled in Thailand, what would be the best way of getting that much stuff across the ocean? I have a couple chairs I don't want to part with (heirlooms) and around 40 boxes. (If I'd planned to fill a 20', I would have kept more furniture)

edit: the storage unit is only filled to about 5 or 6' high, so < 750 cubic feet of stuff.

Edited by jerry921

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

That's the Key. not for you but maybe for some.  I enjoy working outdoors.  I didn't come here to pay Thai people do things for me I can do myself. 

That aside I moved here because I worked here. I stayed here because I could retire and not have to work in the states until I died.  I live part Thai part American, It's a great life.  Why suffer along when one doesn't have to? I like my tools and convenience and that's the beauty of it.  I didn't stay here to go native and become All Thai.....555

• Like 2

OK but the notion of coming to Thailand with 20 or 40 foot foot containers full of stuff is just a non sequitur for me and it seems other persons. You enjoy your stuff. Great. I enjoy life in Thailand without stuff. And there are Thai guys in my neighborhood who can take a Honda Wave apart and put it back together blindfolded. Whatever 'stuff' I have in Thailand is more the intangible variety and that most certainly is not going native. Stuff-wise.

26 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

OK but the notion of coming to Thailand with 20 or 40 foot foot containers full of stuff is just a non sequitur for me and it seems other persons. You enjoy your stuff. Great. I enjoy life in Thailand without stuff. And there are Thai guys in my neighborhood who can take a Honda Wave apart and put it back together blindfolded. Whatever 'stuff' I have in Thailand is more the intangible variety and that most certainly is not going native. Stuff-wise.

Well the range of people living here could be from some that didn't think about it and off'd all their items and are here now kicking them self in the ass living without to the person that simply wanted to downsize and live in a 30sqm condo with nothing but a backpack, shorts, tanktop and what money they had. I respect all those choices and do not judge them. I couldn't and wouldn't live your life style and you clearly couldn't and wouldn't live mine. 

In the end, the OP had questions about shipping a 20ft container. I attempted to stay on topic relative to the question and offered suggestions with some pictures but seems many went off on tangents and criticize folks who filled one up and brought their items with them. That said being you did not bring anything in cargo container do you have any thing to contribute to the OPs question or others that might be considering bringing items over?  

43 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I understand guys bringing stuff. There are guys (like me) that work with and collect tools their whole life, thousands of dollars and hours invested getting the kit right, or guys (not like me) with a house full of great, high quality furniture, cookware, dinnerware and whatnot.

And I can understand guys (like me) that can just pack their pockets and go.

What I can’t understand is why one guy would ridicule another guy for wanting to bring their stuff with them, or for not wanting to bring it with them.

Its funny, when I first came here in 2005 I was living at the Centrepoint serviced condo on Wireless road. I would be here 3 months at a time then back to the states for some business meetings then back here. Every time I brought a little bit more with me as I found things I missed and could not find here and it was frustrating. First 6 months (Rose colored glasses sydrome) I thought "Shit man I can just live in a small place like this and dump all my stuff back in the states". Then a year or so passed and I started to feel confined and as I became more entrenched in life here I found that I had needs and hated that every thing I wanted to do meant I had to bother my van driver, take a cab or train ride and trips out of BKK to travel meant long bus rides or van rides. I missed having a yard and being able to sit outside and BBQ etc. At the end of 3 years I was like NO way could I hang in a condo or apt. 

2009 I returned for another stint. This time I rented a house out near Ayutthaya and the company van drove me to work everyday. It was better but honestly being driven everywhere all the time gets old. At one point I started driving the van and let my driver sit because I was sick of it. He laughed but enjoyed sitting, we became great friends. A few times I wanted to go to Ao Luk and Krabi for a holiday and wanted to take the van. Sitting on a bus for 12 hours was old news to me. So we took the van and I always paid his way, in fact a few times I paid for his wife to come along and she brought food.  We would switch off driving. I have endless stories like this. Later on when I met my now wife in BKK she had a car but I was still plodding along on my Honda Wave and the company Van driver. When my project ended my GF at the time and I moved back to the states. Once there we discussed staying in the states or returning. We agreed to return. I knew then I could not return to cram myself into a box, ride a Honda wave and be driven around by a driver. We built our house, bought a few vehicles and shipped our items over and life is good. Now I am retired and have ample time to do my hobby stuff and if I want to go anywhere I get in my truck and go. 

I feel in many ways I was afforded an opportunity to test drive living over here without what I had grown accustomed to in the states but the fact of the matter I like what I had and knew there was no way I was going to be able to go full Thai native. My wife knew it too. I am way to outgoing and active. Hell I wish I had a wave runner so I could blaze along the Wang river....LOL!!!!

But I still understand that others like it small and life in a suitcase. Whatever works.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously???????

Leaf blower. Really?

No value judgments , simply different personalities.We all have being a certain way all our life,  too late to change now. My sister and brother in law retired in a condominium. in Boynton beach FL They spend their time on nature walks, and reading, Me on the other hand need to be doing Things, It is therapy for me, I need to have projects. Wife says why don't you sit down. relax! I say Ok and I do, five minutes later , without realising it, I am up doing things again. Personally I a jealous of people who can relax . sit there and do nothing, I wish I could. 

I have build my life around my personality,  House in FL , NY and KK all with designed with open spaces. And I need my toys.

So does  one  need a demolition hammer?  NO!!!! do I need a demolition hammer? most certainly I do!!!  

I appreciate this Thread, I have read every response, learned a lot about the subject, and have considered every opinion. but I also know my self in ways that no one will ever do . I feel like the character in the movie the Jerk. 

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I understand guys bringing stuff. There are guys (like me) that work with and collect tools their whole life, thousands of dollars and hours invested getting the kit right, or guys (not like me) with a house full of great, high quality furniture, cookware, dinnerware and whatnot.

And I can understand guys (like me) that can just pack their pockets and go.

What I can’t understand is why one guy would ridicule another guy for wanting to bring their stuff with them, or for not wanting to bring it with them.

Spot on!!

All different personalities, not better not worse, just different. we all do what works for as, and as long as what we do does not hurt others, no reason to belittle others for it. We should offer our opinion for consideration and should leave it at that. 

No value judgments. So why are you all so stupid and don't do like me ! LOL

9 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Its funny, when I first came here in 2005 I was living at the Centrepoint serviced condo on Wireless road. I would be here 3 months at a time then back to the states for some business meetings then back here. Every time I brought a little bit more with me as I found things I missed and could not find here and it was frustrating. First 6 months (Rose colored glasses sydrome) I thought "Shit man I can just live in a small place like this and dump all my stuff back in the states". Then a year or so passed and I started to feel confined and as I became more entrenched in life here I found that I had needs and hated that every thing I wanted to do meant I had to bother my van driver, take a cab or train ride and trips out of BKK to travel meant long bus rides or van rides. I missed having a yard and being able to sit outside and BBQ etc. At the end of 3 years I was like NO way could I hang in a condo or apt. 

2009 I returned for another stint. This time I rented a house out near Ayutthaya and the company van drove me to work everyday. It was better but honestly being driven everywhere all the time gets old. At one point I started driving the van and let my driver sit because I was sick of it. He laughed but enjoyed sitting, we became great friends. A few times I wanted to go to Ao Luk and Krabi for a holiday and wanted to take the van. Sitting on a bus for 12 hours was old news to me. So we took the van and I always paid his way, in fact a few times I paid for his wife to come along and she brought food.  We would switch off driving. I have endless stories like this. Later on when I met my now wife in BKK she had a car but I was still plodding along on my Honda Wave and the company Van driver. When my project ended my GF at the time and I moved back to the states. Once there we discussed staying in the states or returning. We agreed to return. I knew then I could not return to cram myself into a box, ride a Honda wave and be driven around by a driver. We built our house, bought a few vehicles and shipped our items over and life is good. Now I am retired and have ample time to do my hobby stuff and if I want to go anywhere I get in my truck and go. 

I feel in many ways I was afforded an opportunity to test drive living over here without what I had grown accustomed to in the states but the fact of the matter I like what I had and knew there was no way I was going to be able to go full Thai native. My wife knew it too. I am way to outgoing and active. Hell I wish I had a wave runner so I could blaze along the Wang river....LOL!!!!

But I still understand that others like it small and life in a suitcase. Whatever works.

I was just replying along the same lines. By now we all know ourselves, or should. For better or for worse we are not going to change. 

As long as it does not hurt others , resigned to it.

Whatever works!!! and don't try to change others, it's never going to happen, it will only create friction, Live with it if you can, if you can't, move on..

• Like 1

Hello OP in Florida -- I wish I could do nothing too. I started 501c3 non profit NGO in USA. Helped several disabled young Thai persons get scholarships to study overseas. Work on UN treaties and other US and EU legislation and comment on Court cases to benefit disabled persons. Play and record music to post on YouTube. Like to do my own cooking.

All this with stuff I only bright over from USA on the airplane. I am not making judgments on anyone. Just after reading the first 4 or 5 pages of should I bring this or should I bring that and "I love my pressure washer" I began to see it as comedy more than anything else.

• Thanks 1

Actually, two or three of the pages are posts telling him what a moron he is for wanting two bring anything but a suitcase.

As far as everything being available here, no shortage of Thai people buying imported goods for twice what they cost in the country of origin.

19 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Hello OP in Florida -- I wish I could do nothing too. I started 501c3 non profit NGO in USA. Helped several disabled young Thai persons get scholarships to study overseas. Work on UN treaties and other US and EU legislation and comment on Court cases to benefit disabled persons. Play and record music to post on YouTube. Like to do my own cooking.

All this with stuff I only bright over from USA on the airplane. I am not making judgments on anyone. Just after reading the first 4 or 5 pages of should I bring this or should I bring that and "I love my pressure washer" I began to see it as comedy more than anything else.

Sure , you seem to have made the right decision based on your lifestyle, and personal preferences. If you did not need all the US stuff it would have being insane to bring them. Me on the other hand am different.

By the way, I used to play the guitar , took a few lessons , not very good at it  but it was fun to go online, get  tabs of my favorite songs .I haven't played for a few years, still remember the chords, but fingers won't cooperate. Have a Les Paul, an Ovation, and Yamaha acoustic.

Some more of the things that will be going in the container if I decide to go that way.    When I retire and have more time one of my plans is to try and get good at it.

Please PM me links to some of your music if it is nor a personal thing and you dont mind sharing, I would love to hear some of it. 

PS: also love to cook , today I am making stuffed tomatoes and peppers,  Very easy to make and delicious in my opinion.

Edited by sirineou

Not personal it's on YouTube -- some people like anchovies on pizza and some don't. At least for me I look at things no different than that. Btw I started learning Chinese language almost 50 years ago and spent 15 years traveling for work to Asia before moving to Thailand full time.

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Not personal it's on YouTube -- some people like anchovies on pizza and some don't. At least for me I look at things no different than that. Btw I started learning Chinese language almost 50 years ago and spent 15 years traveling for work to Asia before moving to Thailand full time.

Fabulous!! loved it.

I listen to you ELO Evil woman with headphones, will listen to the rest later. 7 am here in the US and everyone in the house is sleeping.

Nice xylophone, (am I using the correct name for the instrument? 

I am sure you did not bring that on the plane. And if you had such instrument back at home, and you were used to it, and had a connection to it you would have want to bring it.

I could not bring my guitar peavey amplifiers, on the plane, 

The more I think of it the more things are going in the Container, and if the wife dont stop chewing on my ear for twenty hours on the plane (she is a chatterbox) she is going in the container too. LOL

No -- the gold vibraphone is still in Florida where I made those videos in Chiefland, FL this past April. The silver one is the one I brought over oversize baggage on the airplane in 2004 and have with me here in Thailand and I made this  video at my house in the wilds of Isaan.

Edited by JLCrab