Foreign tourist assisting fund under review

rooster59

Foreign tourist assisting fund under review

Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK, 25 May 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has reviewed the management of a fund for foreign tourist assistance. 

Deputy Tourism and Sports Ministry Permanent-Secretary Santi Pawai chaired the meeting on the fund for the foreign tourist aid in which officials from related government agencies participated. 

They discussed the approval of compensation pays for injuries and deaths of five tourists in Thailand. 

The deputy permanent-secretary said compensation is one of the measures to promote confidence of tourists, while other measures designed to prevent accidents and ensure safety of the tourists are also required. 

The foreign tourist assisting fund was established to help visitors in times of accidents or losses but not of intended actions or not related to any violation of the laws. The fund has covered some 33 million baht in compensation pays to tourists since 2016.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-26

Nice idea, but given one accident can cost millions in hospital bills, if it has only paid out 33 million in the last two years, I don't see this doing much for tourists confidence. Helping the shark bite guy would have done something. Given the money tourism generates, they might want to add a couple of zeros on the end of the 33 Million. Then they could genuinely assist in all deserving tourist problems and would be able to generate confidence.

• Like 2

There is a specific line in the OP,  "but not of intended actions or not related to any violation of the laws". The fund is not there to pay out if you jump of a cliff or ride a bike with no license, as is the case with 90% of tourists who end up with a big hospital bill.

Legal, lawful and insured tourists dont often need any help or compensation, but a great idea if the fund can help and compensate if needed.

Its usually illegal, unlawful and uninsured tourists, through their own actions, who end up with big hospital bills.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

Here's a novel idea. How about requiring the person actually causing the accident to pay for the hospital bills? Perhaps the motor bike, taxi and auto drivers would learn how to drive responsibly if they were saddled with the inflated bills charged to foreigners. 

Novel idea - yes.

Implementing it in reality - sadly I can't see this happening.

Given past experience I'd think there would be a 1,000% increase in 'the driver fled the scene' news reports. Anything to avoid responsibility, especially if there is money involved.

[sarcasm mode:ON] I did try to translate 'responsibility' but I couldn't find a Thai word for it [sarcasm mode:OFF]

• Like 1

...a well-kept secret....with no verifiable details....???

...if they have been milking the social security and poverty payment funds...

...as reported in the news these past months...

...what are the chances...???

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...a well-kept secret....with no verifiable details....???

...if they have been milking the social security and poverty payment funds...

...as reported in the news these past months...

...what are the chances...???

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

The ole 100 for you and 1 million for me scam.