Are the Expats working in Thailand any good?

On 5/25/2018 at 9:31 PM, cornishcarlos said:

What's the point of your "story" ??

All I get from it is Thai staff are shit and expat staff are shit !! Is that it... ?

I have done extensive buying in and around Chiang Mai. I filled a 40’ container from some 3 dozen various suppliers. I was given quality service by all, bar none. 

I live in the highly developed country of Canada. I don’t get the quality of service here that I got in a country where I can’t even speak their language. So I fail to see the value in the stated complaints. 

In fact, separate from my business dealings, I could give hundreds of examples where Thai sales and service people treated me right. 

I would have no concerns about the labour pool if I was running a Thai business. 

Bravo Thai workers !

All I get from it is Thai staff are shit and expat staff are shit !! Is that it... ?

I have done extensive buying in and around Chiang Mai. I filled a 40’ container from some 3 dozen various suppliers. I was given quality service by all, bar none. 

I live in the highly developed country of Canada. I don’t get the quality of service here that I got in a country where I can’t even speak their language. So I fail to see the value in the stated complaints. 

In fact, separate from my business dealings, I could give hundreds of examples where Thai sales and service people treated me right. 

I would have no concerns about the labour pool if I was running a Thai business. 

Bravo Thai workers !

Bravo Thai workers !

Bravo Thai workers !

Addressing our OP, I have more offers of work than I can reasonably service (like twice as many as I can handle). 

My interpretation of this situation is that:-

• I'm pretty good at what I do
  • I'm too cheap
  • Both of the above

It pays the bills ?

• Haha 2

On 5/26/2018 at 9:34 AM, freethinker said:

Business owners always think their employees are lazy. Somehow they always seem surprised that their employees won't want to work themselves to death for them or don't care about the company the same way the owner does. 

I do the work i'm paid to do, you want extras you offer something extra in return. 

That's the very attitude Dan is talking about ?

On 5/28/2018 at 8:11 PM, Davmaac said:

That's the very attitude Dan is talking about ?

The attitude of knowing your worth and not wanting to get taken advantage of by greedy business owners? "Can't keep up with me," means don't want to answer my emails at 2 in the morning. 

Why would a quality farang accept such working conditions? 

On 5/26/2018 at 5:14 PM, snowbak said:

I’m not really sure where you are looking expat staff.   I have been looking for a good expat position in Thailand now for years.   When I say good I mean longevity and pay.  It seems everything I apply for is either term based or low pay.   

Maybe if the positions you are referring to were long term and pay which is decent it would be easier to find quality employees.   

Me, US education (master degree) 25+ years project management, project engineering and business capture.   

Exactly this. They don't want to pay or offer good job security and conditions then they get surprised they don't get quality applicants. 

On May 26, 2561 BE at 10:14 PM, snowbak said:

I’m not really sure where you are looking expat staff.   I have been looking for a good expat position in Thailand now for years.   When I say good I mean longevity and pay.  It seems everything I apply for is either term based or low pay.   

Maybe if the positions you are referring to were long term and pay which is decent it would be easier to find quality employees.   

Me, US education (master degree) 25+ years project management, project engineering and business capture.   

I am not really sure where you are applying, or what your resume is, but Project Management is currently one of the industries crying out for people. I was approached recently by a recruitment consultant saying they had a position for a project manager on in excess of 300,000 THB per month. I work in a company who does that kind of work, although i am not in that department, and they are basically only limited by the amount of work they can do as they cannot find the people qualified or fast enough. Are you looking in the right places, or have unrealistic expectations? Age can be a factor, but many take on staff on a project basis for 2-3 years, although again the temporary contracts can be problematic. Out of any industry this is one of the ones they are crying out for at the moment.