We Own It All!

Commerce Minister Krirk-krai Jirapaet told foreign journalists at a dinner talk on Friday.

Under Thai law, he pointed out, foreigners can only own land if they have businesses promoted by the Board of Investment, under the Industrial Estate Act or with written permission from the Interior Ministry.

"Look around you - all the land in Samui, Phuket and Koh Chang is in the hands of foreigners.

They cannot take the land away but there's a sense of nationalism and therefore they should restructure," a combative Mr Krirk-krai said in response to questions from foreigners.

dunno really if this should be in the xenophobia area or here.

this is the commerce minister for heavens sake, saying something as patently ridiculous as

ALL the land etc...

at least to me, this comment reveals an awful lot of what these people really feel and say when they get drunk at high class ratchada karaoke parlours.

the evil farang is now the biggest and easiest target.

reminiscent of John Howard (australia PM) using fear of asians in boats to get re-elected.

I think you are right to say "the evil farang is now the biggest and easiest target."

Most Thais that I come across would say that Thailand would be better off without bad farangs, and should only let in good farangs.

The evil farang who flouts the spirit of the law, either by indulging in corruption by bribing Thai officials or by getting Thai shysters to help him circumvent the law by appearing to be within the letter of the law, is not seen as a desirable person.

They were tolerated in small numbers, but when the numbers become such that they are "the biggest target", the populace will expect its Government to take action.

The present Government came to power with the legitimacy of popular acclaim (which is greater legitimacy than an electoral victory, in Thai eyes). It does not have to watch out for its chances of re-election, but it does need to be seen to be looking after Thailand's interests---one of which is reducing the effects of "evil farangs".

For farangs who are willing to abide by the spirit of Thai law and cultures and would wish to be an asset to Thailand, the danger of them suffering from a surge of xenophobia is reduced by the Thai people feeling that their Government has safeguards in place against "any farangs who are evil".

Typos edited.

Edited by Martin

I think you are right to say "the evil farang is now the biggest and easiest target."

Most Thais that I come across would say that Thailand would be better off without bad farangs, and should only let in good farangs.

The evil farang who flouts the spirit of the law, either by indulging in corruption by bribing Thai officials or by getting Thai shysters to help him circumvent the law by appearing to be within the letter of the law, is not seen as a desirable person.

They were tolerated in small numbers, but when the numbers become such that they are "the biggest target", the populace will expect its Government to take action.

The present Government came to power with the legitimacy of popular acclaim (which is greater legitimacy than an electoral victory, in Thai eyes). It does not have to watch out for its chances of re-election, but it does need to be seen to be looking after Thailand's interests---one of which is reducing the effects of "evil farangs".

For farangs who are willing to abide by the spirit of Thai law and cultures and would wish to be an asset to Thailand, the danger of them suffering from a surge of xenophobia is reduced by the Thai people feeling that their Government has safeguards in place against "any farangs who are evil".

Typos edited.

Popular acclaim or more guns!

Let somebody like morri do the poll country wide!

"Popular acclaim or more guns!

Let somebody like morri do the poll country wide! "

Yes, the results (and effects) of a nation-wide Mori poll would be interesting.

Let us not forget that those guns were Thai guns. They were the first that I have ever seen with yellow ribbons tied round them.

And, it is said, someone had the foresight to pack 60 suitcases for his projected ten days abroad.

But I must restrain the temptation that I feel to conjecture further. Don't want George to close the thread "pending moderation issues".