Thai Military conscription

Hi everyone, 

I know that there are a number of other threads on this - but I would like to ask some advice. 

I am a half thai, half falang male and I obtained my first thai passport earlier this year.  I am not registered on the tabien baan. 

I'm currently 29 years old (30 in January) and I need to go to Thailand in August for a few days.  I have not been to Thailand since 1998!  I do not speak any Thai. 

I am a little worried that I will be stopped at the airport as I have not been subjected to the draft lottery!  I know this is probably irrational - but I would like some advice as to what I should do? 

Is there ANY chance that I will be in trouble at customs?  Will the odds decrease to pretty much zero if I travel on my falang passport?

Thanks in advance,

You will not have a problem problem on entry to the country using your Thai passport. Immigration is not concerned about conscription.

You would not appear on any list for conscription since it is based upon a tambien ban registry.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not have a problem problem on entry to the country using your Thai passport. Immigration is not concerned about conscription.

You would not appear on any list for conscription since it is based upon a tambien ban registry.

Joe, I disagree. Thai Immigration is indeed concerned with young men's draft status on the way out. Sometimes even bar men from leaving pending draft resolution.

In half-Thai's favour, 29 is o-l-d. They surely would ignore him.

Tabien baans are only part of this story. Young Thai men are also snagged by their bat prachachon (Thai ID card) which half-Thai must have used to get a passport. (Usually a first passport requires a tabien baan, too.)

If half-Thai uses his foreign passport, of course, his draft status would not come to light.

Frankly, half-Thai, I think you're quite safe coming here...and getting home.

5 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Joe, I disagree. Thai Immigration is indeed concerned with young men's draft status on the way out. Sometimes even bar men from leaving pending draft resolution.

That would be because they had been blocked from leaving the country for not appearing at the draw when they turned 21.

The OP stated he is not in a Tambien ban which also means he does not have a Thai ID card.

My son, who just turned 30 in April, has both Thai and American citizenship just like you do and he has never had a problem entering or leaving Thailand on his Thai passport. And he speaks Thai fluently.

(Note: I made it a rule in our home when my son was growing up that he was only allowed to speak Thai with his mother.)

This is all very helpful.

I literally speak pretty much zero Thai (I used to know a bit as a child, but have since forgotten). 

Will this raise any eyebrows when entering the country with immigration?  I imagine it would be quite rare that a Thai passport holder cannot even speak Thai (I am quite embarrased about this and am looking to learn).  

Or is there simply automatic gates at BKK airport for locals? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, halfthaiguy said:

I imagine it would be quite rare that a Thai passport holder cannot even speak Thai

Don´t worry! It´s not as rare as you might think. I personally know 4 thai nationals that has been growing up in the states. Today they have dual citizenship and both US an Thai passports. Only 1 of them actually speaks thai.

And there is also no worries about you entering Thailand on your thai passport. You will not have any problem with a military conscription of any kind.

Edited by Get Real

You mentioned that you will need to be here in Thailand only for a few days....  If there is any chance that you may need to extend your stay beyond thirty days, consider entering on your Thai passport to avoid any trips to your local immigration office to obtain permission for longer stays, etc., etc.