Windows Xp Firewall

pitrevie

My friend is trying to configure access to the internet via his network card and a Belkin router. His computer is running XP Home with SP2 and he is using Zone Alarm as his firewall. Every time he tries to connect to his router or the internet he finds that the Windows firewall has turned itself back on and the following message appears on his LAN connection and the 1394 Firewire

1394 Connection

Disabled Firewalled

1394 Net Adapter

Local Area connection

Network Cable Unplugged Firewalled

Via Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter…Red cross

In the set up for the LAN he has selected the correct network card and his TCP and DNS are set for auto.

I know how to disable the windows firewall in services but is there any way of uninstalling the XP firewall altogether or is there some other solution to this problem?

The router and network cable have been connected to another computer with no problems. When connected to the problem computer the network connection is shown firewalled and the XP firewall is once again On even though it had been turned off. The router and cable are on and connected so that is why I think this is software related.

It is an onboard NIC and I might agree with that advice but I cannot understand the business of the firewall turning itself back on each time. I have suggested uninstalling the NIC then reloading the drivers and seeing if that makes a difference. However I will see if they can find another NIC if that doesnt work.