Good areas to live outside of the CBD?

Majestros

What are some good areas to find a condo to live in Bangkok that are outside the main part of the city?

I would like it to be in an area that is near a train station so I can easily go to the city if needed. I want to avoid catching a taxi as much as possible. A place with a fairly big night market and shopping centre nearby would be nice too.

At the moment I'm thinking of Bang Na but I would like some other suggestions that I can check out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I live in Saphan Kwai...

BTS less than 30 second walk from condo entrance

MRT is 7- 10 minutes walk and a big wet marketat the same location

Local Wet market about 2 minutes walk from condo

Big C about 2 minutes walk from condo

Huge amount of restaurants close by

Chatuchak Park for running - 10 mins to park entrance

Chatuchak weekend market and JJ Mall is a max 10-15 min walk away, depending on which way you go and which entrance you use

Union Mall 10 min taxi ride or 2 x MRT stops

Ari 1 BTS stop away in one direction and Mochit the same in opposite direction

Siam is 7 BTS stops away i think, might be 6

Suits me but BKK still isnt the best place to live

• Like 1

IMO, the BTS areas to the east are overrated and overpriced...but still OK.  I think there is more value on the MRT, and yes Huai Kwang is very solid, just avoid the long narrow sois..otherwise, very convenient.  If you want to be a pioneer, go out the new purple line.  Some of those areas around the stations are quite sleepy, but wont be for long.

I have been looking around Talat Pha BT. Parkland Grand Taksin has 1 br for 12,000 a month. 7 mins to BTS and 15 mins to Tha Phra shopping centre. There are many apartment buildings in that area.

An idea of rental prices would be useful to have. I know this varies but a guide would be good. Inner bkk is too expensive and the point of moving out is to find cheaper accommodation with good services nearby.

Sounds great.

Is that 10 mins walk to jatujak park?

Do you mind saying how much you pay and how many mtrs?

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I live in Saphan Kwai...

BTS less than 30 second walk from condo entrance

MRT is 7- 10 minutes walk and a big wet marketat the same location

Local Wet market about 2 minutes walk from condo

Big C about 2 minutes walk from condo

Huge amount of restaurants close by

Chatuchak Park for running - 10 mins to park entrance

Chatuchak weekend market and JJ Mall is a max 10-15 min walk away, depending on which way you go and which entrance you use

Union Mall 10 min taxi ride or 2 x MRT stops

Ari 1 BTS stop away in one direction and Mochit the same in opposite direction

Siam is 7 BTS stops away i think, might be 6

Suits me but BKK still isnt the best place to live

Edited by blackcab
Fixed quote

3 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Sounds great.

Is that 10 mins walk to jatujak park?

Do you mind saying how much you pay and how many mtrs?

Yes, 10 min max to Jatujak if thats your preferential spelling.

I own my condo but there is a big choice here, mix of older Thai style and brand new. You would have to google for your choice of style and cost. 

Very good area for me personally, but some might prefer elsewhere

Just now, jackdd said:

What does "outside of the city" mean for you? Ratchadaphisek is definitely in the middle of the city.

very true.  Maybe it means those who have the wherewithal to avoid Sukhumvit. Many, never seem to make it out of the Nana area.  Personally, I avoid it, now.   Once you can do that, you are truly ready to explore BKK...nice city. 

Unless you work downtown living in the suburbs is much easier and cheaper.

Lots of places with the new BTS extensions you have a wide variety. 

Explore is the best, start with a property search on one of the letting agents (TV has one) then a Google Earth street view, when you find something go and look for yourself.

I live out to the north, try Lat Phrao (MRT) or that area and follow the MRT.

The new BTS extensions will open soon up passed Don Muang airport. I live next door to a shopping center with MaxValuefood hall restaurants etc and a BigC in walking distance, also an old style Thai market and six 7/11s and a Tesco across the road. There is a FoodLand and a Villa a five minute taxi ride away.

Good luck.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

It has gone mostly high end, and pricier than Bang Na, but the sois go on forever, even to the ARL....but there are still a number of very cheap places back in there, but low rent will=dump, and for the prices of nice places, you could do better for less in the aforementioned Huai Kwang area.

And the gridlock traffic is horrible back there, as it is on nearly all the Sukhumvit side roads.

Edited by moontang

4 hours ago, cbc said:

Anyone know anything about renting and livng in and around Ekkami area.

Ekkamai prices are generally on the high side and rising.  The Phra Khanong side tends to be somewhat less expensive than the Thong Lo side.  Lots of restaurants and amenities...and traffic.

I rarely hear anything about "Sanam Pao" though it is next to the very trendy Ari neighborhood.  What's it like?

15 hours ago, cbc said:

Hi and thank's for the reply.My budget  is 20.000 per month plus cable,electricity and internet.Think i can find something nice in that area for this price.Thanks.

In Ekkamai, that price range will usually be a studio.  I've heard there are some good deals on the side of soi Ekkamai running between Sukhumvit and Rama-4.

You might get more bang for your baht one or two stops further on the BTS: Phra Khanong and On Nut.  Both are rapidly upsurging neighborhoods, like Ekkamai was 10 years ago.

I moved into a 3br, 2 level townhouse in a gated community in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi last year. Bt5500 per month.. Unfurnished, so I had to set it up.. Large living area, kitchen and master br. Near to Central Westgate, 2 Big C majors, Homepro, IKEA and Index Living 3 min on Motorbike Taxi and walking distance to 7-11.. Purple MRT and many aircond buses to Bangkok Bt18, about 45 min.. Better than a small condo being in a house. But you need to supply your own furniture..