More legal fallout for coupversary demonstrators

snoop1130

More legal fallout for coupversary demonstrators

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

อานนท์-ไปกองสลาก_๑๘๐๕๒๒_0009-696x464.jpg

Protest leader Arnon Nampha makes a speech to demonstrators on May 22

BANGKOK — The junta on Wednesday filed additional charges against 21 people who staged and joined last week’s pro-democracy demonstration.

For the protest on May 22, the fourth anniversary of the May 2014 coup, a junta rep wants them prosecuted on charges of sedition and violating the regime’s ban on political protests. The complaints were filed earlier today by Col. Burin Thongprapai, a legal representative for the ruling junta.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/05/30/more-legal-fallout-for-coupversary-demonstrators/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-5-30

48 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

The seizure and control of administration of State affairs (a coup d'état) is considered treason. However, the junta cannot be prosecuted for this because the Thai Criminal Court already found the junta members not guilty, citing the "legal" amnesty they bestowed upon themselves in the interim charter , which they established "legally" shortly after they seized power and began throwing people in jail for breaching the "law" criminalizing freedom of expression, aka "speech-crime", as well as breaching the Computer Crimes act, aka pressing 'like' on Facebook. 

So basically you are saying it's one rule for them and another rule for us. You know I always thought that observing the going ons in Thailand's politics. The ups and downs of opposing sides, one day praised the next accused. I'm glad I'm just an observer, sticking your head out and getting involved is only for the brave hearted. It's going to be an exciting run up to the elections. I quite like this new chap Thanathorn, just what Thailand needs, a breathe of fresh air. Let the younger generation shape the future of Thailand.

14 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

So basically you are saying it's one rule for them and another rule for us. You know I always thought that observing the going ons in Thailand's politics. The ups and downs of opposing sides, one day praised the next accused. I'm glad I'm just an observer, sticking your head out and getting involved is only for the brave hearted. It's going to be an exciting run up to the elections. I quite like this new chap Thanathorn, just what Thailand needs, a breathe of fresh air. Let the younger generation shape the future of Thailand.

The possibility of legal proceedings against thanathorn are being considered as we speak. Don't count your chickens. 

Highly unlikely to be an election. 

6 minutes ago, greenchair said:

The possibility of legal proceedings against thanathorn are being considered as we speak. Don't count your chickens. 

Highly unlikely to be an election. 

it is all a cunning plot

Actually, on May 25th,  in the other journal (I am surprised it did not surface in The Nation), there was an article about the police intercepting weapons which were allegedly going to be delivered for the protest, and of course with the involvement of red shirt. Here's a link to another source which I think is not forbidden to link in this forum:

http://thairesidents.com/local/hardcore-red-shirts-arrested-weapons/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, candide said:

Actually, on May 25th,  in the other journal (I am surprised it did not surface in The Nation), there was an article about the police intercepting weapons which were allegedly going to be delivered for the protest, and of course with the involvement of red shirt. Here's a link to another source which I think is not forbidden to link in this forum:

http://thairesidents.com/local/hardcore-red-shirts-arrested-weapons/

That's just hilarious. 

The weapons were supposedly going to be used to cause violence at the rally and blamed on the junta to cause chaos. 

Funnily enough, on the 22nd of may, the weapons were in chiangmai.

So it was a farfetched conclusion. 

Every weapons stash since 2014 has been blamed on the red shirts or kotee until he recently disappeared. There was no evidence to the suggestion in the article, it was just an opinion. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Protestors might have tried some irony, such as signs "Thank you beloved PM for returning and strengthening democracy to Thailand" or "Thank you for taking as long as needed to ensure that next government will be shining example of Thainess"

Unfortunately most Thais don't get irony.

If they'd tried the above, most people watching it on the news would have thought they were pro Junta....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, greenchair said:

That's just hilarious. 

The weapons were supposedly going to be used to cause violence at the rally and blamed on the junta to cause chaos. 

Funnily enough, on the 22nd of may, the weapons were in chiangmai.

So it was a farfetched conclusion. 

Every weapons stash since 2014 has been blamed on the red shirts or kotee until he recently disappeared. There was no evidence to the suggestion in the article, it was just an opinion. 

I don't believe it either. But it's a good example of how easily the Junta can incriminate the protest leaders by linking them to any miraculously discovered weapon cache.