Thai Non-O Multiple/Single Entry based on Marriage- questions, help please!

Hi,

I am an Asian National who wants to join his wife in Thailand. I am currently working in Japan, have a residence card and visa, so I am eligible to apply for a Non-O visa as per the guidelines of the Thai embassy in Tokyo.

My interview is scheduled soon, so would really appreciate if experienced folks out there could help clarify some of my doubts. 

1) The Embassy requires me to show proof to return ticket to Japan. I am assuming they are asking this to prove that my intent to travel to Thailand is just temporary (for visiting my wife) and so should be returning back. I am OK with getting a return ticket, however not sure on what dates I should be picking for my return. I need to fill the Non_O form mentioning my "proposed" period of stay. At first I filled in 90 days thinking it should be fine, since that is the maximum no:of days I will be allowed to stay in Thailand on my first entry. However, on second thought, I wonder if that raises any red flags indicating that my true intentions are to extend my visa while in Thailand? Is it safer for me to say my visit is only for 30-40 days instead?

2) Is it generally harder to get a Multiple entry Non-O as opposed to a single entry Non-O base don Marriage? The embassy don't seem to ask for any additional, specific documents for the Multiple entry. No bank statement, no employment verification. I will be taking these with me just in case, but would like to know if it is always safer (granted easily) to apply for a Single entry Non-O?

3) I have previously traveled to Thailand on multiple occasions over the last 3-4 years. I did this on 15-day Visa on Arrivals, so I have got 4-5 Passport pages filled up with immigration stamps. Purpose of visit was mainly Tourism (although my wife was with me all the time). Will this cause any issues with my non-O application?

Many thanks!

1. I can see no requirement for you to have a return ticket. It states this "Airline ticket or confirmation slip with applicant's name, flight number as well as date of entry and departure". You could show a onward ticket to a nearby country if needed.

Source: http://site.thaiembassy.jp/en/visa/type/396/

2. At most locations it is the same requirements for both. Only a few embassies and consulate have higher requirements for the multiple entry non-o visa.

3. No

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

1. I can see no requirement for you to have a return ticket. It states this "Airline ticket or confirmation slip with applicant's name, flight number as well as date of entry and departure". You could show a onward ticket to a nearby country if needed.

Source: http://site.thaiembassy.jp/en/visa/type/396/

2. At most locations it is the same requirements for both. Only a few embassies and consulate have higher requirements for the multiple entry non-o visa.

3. No

ubonjoe

Many thanks for the clarifications. You are correct, the Tokyo embassy did not require return to Japan, just a departure date out of Thailand. I misunderstood.

Regarding the proposed duration of stay, what should I be entering here ? It is somewhat clear that the embassy officials want to know intended duration of stay and hence demanding proof of departure. Is it safe to enter 90 days, pushing it to the maximum allowed per entry? Wont it raise some questions? When interviewing with them, is it even OK to mention your true intentions of planning to extend 1 year based off of marriage to Thai? I  want to be prepared before presenting my case. Appreciate your suggestions! Thanks

19 minutes ago, sudha said:

Is it safe to enter 90 days, pushing it to the maximum allowed per entry? Wont it raise some questions? When interviewing with them, is it even OK to mention your true intentions of planning to extend 1 year based off of marriage to Thai?

Ninety days is not a problem since that is what the visa allows.

No problem to say you plan on applying for a one year extension of stay.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ninety days is not a problem since that is what the visa allows.

No problem to say you plan on applying for a one year extension of stay.

ubonjoe, many thanks!
One last question. I noticed that the embassy in Osaka requires proof of employment for granting a Non-O visa in addition to the requirements of being a resident in japan. The Tokyo embassy, however does not require this. (Osaka consulate: http://www.thaiconsulate.jp/en/appli_10/)

1) Any idea why the inconsistency in documents required in different consulates within the country?

2) What is the real purpose of requiring employment verification?

If my intentions are to move to Thailand long-term, it is inevitable that I will be leaving my job in Japan prior to moving. What will the employment verification requirement mean in this whole context? What does it serve to prove? 

49 minutes ago, sudha said:

ubonjoe, many thanks!
One last question. I noticed that the embassy in Osaka requires proof of employment for granting a Non-O visa in addition to the requirements of being a resident in japan. The Tokyo embassy, however does not require this. (Osaka consulate: http://www.thaiconsulate.jp/en/appli_10/)

1) Any idea why the inconsistency in documents required in different consulates within the country?

2) What is the real purpose of requiring employment verification?

If my intentions are to move to Thailand long-term, it is inevitable that I will be leaving my job in Japan prior to moving. What will the employment verification requirement mean in this whole context? What does it serve to prove? 

1. No unusual at all. Just different consular section bosses is about the only explanation.

2. I see no reason for it other than perhaps to prove you have the funds for the trip.

There is no logical reason for it that I can think of. It could even be a mistake on the website (it does happen).

On 6/4/2018 at 5:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

1. No unusual at all. Just different consular section bosses is about the only explanation.

2. I see no reason for it other than perhaps to prove you have the funds for the trip.

There is no logical reason for it that I can think of. It could even be a mistake on the website (it does happen).

Ubonjoe, thanks for your assistance. I visited the Tokyo embassy last week and they refused to process my application for non -o visa based on Thai Spouse. Apparently the original Thai marriage certificate ( or some proof of marriage registration or notification in Thailand was required. Me and my wife were officially married in the United States, so we only had the marriage certificate signed by the county recorder from the States. They however, advised me to change the application to a 60 day tourist visa for purposes of visiting my wife, which I did. If everything goes okay, I believe I will be getting this visa issued. Now that this is my situation, how can I convert this tourist visa to a non-o visa based on marriage in Thailand? What are the documents that I will be needing. Is there an official website that states the requirements?

i have heard that the tourist extension in case of My nationality may only be extended for 7 extra days, not 30 days. So I am really hoping that I can get the conversion of visa done within the 60 day time period inside Thailand itself. I also want to avoid trying non-o visa application from other  countries like loas, since they don’t recommend it due to my nationality. Going back to my country is my least preferred option as I have heard there are difficulties and tighter employment requirements.

once i leave to Thailand I will be losing my job and residency Status in Japan so coming back here and trying is also not an option right now.

Could you please provide some suggestions on what is best to do in this case?

thanks very much in advance!

46 minutes ago, sudha said:

Ubonjoe, thanks for your assistance. I visited the Tokyo embassy last week and they refused to process my application for non -o visa based on Thai Spouse. Apparently the original Thai marriage certificate ( or some proof of marriage registration or notification in Thailand was required. Me and my wife were officially married in the United States, so we only had the marriage certificate signed by the county recorder from the States.

That is the first time I have heard of a embassy or consulate only accepting a Thai marriage certificate. Others will accept one if it is in English or translated to Thai or English.

You will though need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry that immigration requires to a apply for a 1 year extension of stay based upon marriage. 

i have heard that the tourist extension in case of My nationality may only be extended for 7 extra days, not 30 days. So I am really hoping that I can get the conversion of visa done within the 60 day time period inside Thailand itself.

Are your from one of these countries than cannot get a 30 day extension?

"( In case of the following natinalites ,extension of stay permit will not be longer than 7 days ; Sri Lanka ,India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Iran,Nepal,Togo,Nigeria,Uganda )"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at a immigration office. The will accept your US marriage certificate to apply for it.

I also want to avoid trying non-o visa application from other  countries like loas, since they don’t recommend it due to my nationality.

Are you from one of the countries listed here?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/listed country 2018_2.pdf

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the first time I have heard of a embassy or consulate only accepting a Thai marriage certificate. Others will accept one if it is in English or translated to Thai or English.

You will though need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry that immigration requires to a apply for a 1 year extension of stay based upon marriage. 

Are your from one of these countries than cannot get a 30 day extension?

"( In case of the following natinalites ,extension of stay permit will not be longer than 7 days ; Sri Lanka ,India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Iran,Nepal,Togo,Nigeria,Uganda )"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at a immigration office. The will accept your US marriage certificate to apply for it.

Are you from one of the countries listed here?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/listed country 2018_2.pdf

Hi Ubonjoe,

I was not expecting the marriage certificate to be an issue at all and I had all other documents that they had asked for. It was unfortunate .

Yes, I am from one of those countries in the list. So I guess I can only extend my tourist visa for 7 days.

Thanks for the embassy link in Malaysia. It looks like there is a small possibility of trying here however I am really not comfortable with this option since it can be long before I get my passport back

I have read in a few threads that conversion of tourist visa to non O is possible at the Chaengwattana main office in Bangkok. Is this true? How long will this take and what are the documents I will require?

Is there any other alternative ? Does it make sense to travel to Thailand right away and get that marriage document they are asking for and reapply for a nonO in Japan before I leave?

If the tourist to non O conversion will be possible in Thailand, that would really be ideal however.

Thanks again for your help!

4 minutes ago, sudha said:

Yes, I am from one of those countries in the list. So I guess I can only extend my tourist visa for 7 days.

You can apply for the 60 day extension to visit your wife that I mentioned in my last post. There is no restriction on getting it since it is not for tourism purposes.

6 minutes ago, sudha said:

Thanks for the embassy link in Malaysia. It looks like there is a small possibility of trying here however I am really not comfortable with this option since it can be long before I get my passport back

If your home country is not on the list you would get your passport back the next day after applying.

7 minutes ago, sudha said:

I have read in a few threads that conversion of tourist visa to non O is possible at the Chaengwattana main office in Bangkok. Is this true? How long will this take and what are the documents I will require?

You can apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

Note this on the list.

"6.2 In case of marriage registered in foreign country, please show:
Family status registration (Form Kor Ror.22) and marriage certificate registered in overseas country"

That is what I mentioned you need to apply for the one year extension in my earlier post. 

19 minutes ago, sudha said:

Is there any other alternative ? Does it make sense to travel to Thailand right away and get that marriage document they are asking for and reapply for a nonO in Japan before I leave?

It seems they wanted a Thai marriage certificate. That would require registering your marriage here but you might be able to get the required document since you are already married to your wife.

Not sure if they would accept the Kor Ror 22 marriage registry I mentioned you will need at immigration.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the 60 day extension to visit your wife that I mentioned in my last post. There is no restriction on getting it since it is not for tourism purposes.

If your home country is not on the list you would get your passport back the next day after applying.

You can apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

Note this on the list.

"6.2 In case of marriage registered in foreign country, please show:
Family status registration (Form Kor Ror.22) and marriage certificate registered in overseas country"

That is what I mentioned you need to apply for the one year extension in my earlier post. 

It seems they wanted a Thai marriage certificate. That would require registering your marriage here but you might be able to get the required document since you are already married to your wife.

Not sure if they would accept the Kor Ror 22 marriage registry I mentioned you will need at immigration.

Ubonjoe, thanks for the several clarifications. I have been thinking about what I should be doing in the past few days and decided that I will fly to Thailand on the 60 day tourist visa and as soon as I get there I will work towards getting the necessary documents for the kor ror 22 for registering our foreign marriage in Thailand and then proceed with the tourist to non-O conversion. 

Regarding the kor ror 22, is there an official Thai website that states the requirements in writing? I was not able to find sufficient information online regarding this except for a thai visa forum post from 2015 :

From what I can understand, in order to get the kor ror 22, one needs to get the foreign marriage certificate legalized. 

I have read there are two ways to do this. 

1) From the US: attestation from the Secretary of State and then legalized from Thai consulate in the US.

2) From Thailand: self sworn affidavit stamped by the US consulate in Thailand. 

Option 1 seems like a complicated affair, needing travel to the US. Could you confirm if option 2 has been working for folks needing a kor ror 22? If so, as an Asian national, will the US consulate in Thailand be willing to authenticate my self sworn affidavit?

I also wanted to get some input regarding requirement 6.3 from the link you provided earlier:

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

6.3 A letter from a government office, embassy or consulate, certifying that the applicant is a member of the referred family*
*(Documents under 6.1.3, 6.2 and 6.3 must be translated into Thai or English and certified by local or overseas Embassy or Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of  Foreign Affairs of Thailand) (For more information, please call 0-2575-1056-9)

Is this a different letter (different from the sworn affidavit) that is required by from the US consulate? 

If different, does that mean I have to be getting this letter from my country’s consulate or will I get this too from the US consulate?

Many thanks for your valuable inputs !

Edited by sudha

13 minutes ago, sudha said:

I have read there are two ways to do this. 

1) From the US: attestation from the Secretary of State and then legalized from Thai consulate in the US.

2) From Thailand: self sworn affidavit stamped by the US consulate in Thailand. 

Option 1 seems like a complicated affair, needing travel to the US. Could you confirm if option 2 has been working for folks needing a kor ror 22? If so, as an Asian national, will the US consulate in Thailand be willing to authenticate my self sworn affidavit?

One is not an easy thing to do. It could be possible without a trip to the US it the state where your marriage is registered would do it by mail. Then there is the added step you did not mention of having it certified by the US state department which can be done by mail. Info can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/internl-judicial-asst/authentications-and-apostilles/authentication-certificate-requirements.html

For option 2 I cannot give you a definitive as to whether the US embassy would witness the affidavit for you or your wife. I suggest you contact them about it. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

14 minutes ago, sudha said:

6.3 A letter from a government office, embassy or consulate, certifying that the applicant is a member of the referred family

I have never heard of that being asked for. A marriage certificate provides that proof.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

One is not an easy thing to do. It could be possible without a trip to the US it the state where your marriage is registered would do it by mail. Then there is the added step you did not mention of having it certified by the US state department which can be done by mail. Info can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/internl-judicial-asst/authentications-and-apostilles/authentication-certificate-requirements.html

For option 2 I cannot give you a definitive as to whether the US embassy would witness the affidavit for you or your wife. I suggest you contact them about it. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

I have never heard of that being asked for. A marriage certificate provides that proof.

Thanks Ubonjoe.. if 3.2 is not really asked for that will make things one step easier.

For option 2, I will update after contacting the US consulate in Thailand to see if they will accept my sworn affidavit. Could you confirm if option 2 has been working without issues for people tying to get their kor ror 22?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, sudha said:

Could you confirm if option 2 has been working without issues for people tying to get their kor ror 22?

Yes it is accepted. It will have to be translated to Thai and the translation be certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA. Same for your marriage certificate.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is accepted. It will have to be translated to Thai and the translation be certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA. Same for your marriage certificate.

Input from just state of Florida, We had to send a certified copy of our marriage certificate from the Clerk of Court to Tallahassee the capital. They certify that the signature is from the Clerk of Court person that signed it. Then you send that to the State Department. All comes back with nice big certificates for the country of Thailand (3 total). Ours had Hillary signature on it.

As for the affidavit, Nonthaburi IO requires one from the US Embassy. The affidavit just states we live together at this address as husband and wife. All the person is certifying at the US Embassy is that you signed the Affidavit in front of them. Their notary does not in any way certify what is on the affidavit as true, and $50.00. Nonthaburi IO also requires you to take that affidavet and your affidavit of income (if using) to the Thai office and get their stamp on it. Just went through this. Ubonjoe can give you the name of the office, but your IO may not be so tedious! Came in on the back end of the discussion, hope this is in line with the topic.

Edited by allen303
spelling

13 minutes ago, allen303 said:

Input from just state of Florida, We had to send a certified copy of our marriage certificate from the Clerk of Court to Tallahassee the capital. They certify that the signature is from the Clerk of Court person that signed it. Then you send that to the State Department. All comes back with nice big certificates for the country of Thailand (3 total). Ours had Hillary signature on it.

As for the affidavit, Nonthaburi IO requires one from the US Embassy. The affidavit just states we live together at this address as husband and wife. All the person is certifying at the US Embassy is that you signed the Affidavit in from of them. Their notary does not in any way certify what is on the affidavit as true, and $50.00. Nonthaburi IO also requires you to take that affidavit and your affidavit of income (if using) to the Thai office and get their stamp on it. Just went through this. Ubonjoe can give you the name of the office, but your IO may not be so tedious! Came in on the back end of the discussion, hope this is in line with the topic.

Just picked up he is an Asian national, not a US citizen. If not a US citizen he pretty much can't get the time of day from the US Embassy. I don't think they are going to certify any document he brings to them. They have no way of knowing if its an original or forgery. With todays printer technology, if you are computer savvy, you can just about forge any document. Please try and let us know how it goes.

1 minute ago, allen303 said:

I don't think they are going to certify any document he brings to them.

That will not certify any document. The discussion was about doing a affidavit stating it is true and correct.

I also wrote that he needs to contact the embassy about doing the affidavit.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks again Ubonjoe. Our marriage certificate was issued in the state of Idaho. What I have currently with me are two things. 1) The original marriage licence and certificate. 2) A full, true and correct copy of my marriage licence and certificate that has been certified/attested by the county recorder of the State of Idaho.

Just to confirm (in regards to option 1)

--- This true certified copy that I already have is not going to be sufficient for the Thai officials at the MFA?

--- In addition, I will need authentication from the Secretary of Idaho State  and then the US Department of State in Washington DC. Is that correct?

--- After the certification from the US DOS,  I also need to pass this on to the Thai embassy in the US for final verification and approval? Is this because Thailand is not part of the Hague convention?

--- I have been looking to see if there is a way to get option 1 fulfilled without having to go to the US. There seem to be some agencies who would do this and mail back the documents to my non-US address. I am thinking of giving this a try. For example, see link http://www.usauthentication.com/department-of-state-apostille.php

I still have about 45 days left in Japan, so if the service they are providing is legitimate I might as well start the process right now to get the documents in order.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That will not certify any document. The discussion was about doing a affidavit stating it is true and correct.

I also wrote that he needs to contact the embassy about doing the affidavit.

Thanks Ubonjoe, yes I will contact them today and post back. 

12 hours ago, allen303 said:

Just picked up he is an Asian national, not a US citizen. If not a US citizen he pretty much can't get the time of day from the US Embassy. I don't think they are going to certify any document he brings to them. They have no way of knowing if its an original or forgery. With todays printer technology, if you are computer savvy, you can just about forge any document. Please try and let us know how it goes.

Allen303, thanks for your inputs.

I will pray that none of the things you mentioned will happen. I do not see any indication from the US embassy website that being an Asian national will cause issues. This is what is written in their notarial services webpage:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

"U.S. Consular Officers may provide specific notarial services authorized by relevant U.S. law and Department of State policy for all U.S. citizens. In addition, they can provide services for any person regardless of nationality so long as the document being notarized is required for use within the jurisdiction of the United States and is authorized by relevant U.S. law"

We also have a true certified copy of our marriage signed by the Idaho County recorder with a lifted seal. I do not know if document forgery can go to such a level and being brown becomes a disadvantage. Besides I have been a legal taxpayer in the States for nearly 8 years.

I will post back after I hear from the US embassy. If they refuse I will pursue option 1.

As Ubonjoe mentioned previously, I am not trying to get my marriage document certified/notarized at the US embassy in Thailand. This they will not do even for US citizens. I want them to accept my sworn affidavit instead (option 2)

Thanks

36 minutes ago, sudha said:

Thanks again Ubonjoe. Our marriage certificate was issued in the state of Idaho. What I have currently with me are two things. 1) The original marriage licence and certificate. 2) A full, true and correct copy of my marriage licence and certificate that has been certified/attested by the county recorder of the State of Idaho.

Not sure 2 will be enough to get the US department of state. Everything I have read it has to be certified at the state level as well.

37 minutes ago, sudha said:

Just to confirm (in regards to option 1)

--- This true certified copy that I already have is not going to be sufficient for the Thai officials at the MFA?

The Consular Affairs Department of the MFA will only certify the translation of your marriage certificate. You have to satisfy the Amphoe where you register your foreign marriage.

37 minutes ago, sudha said:

In addition, I will need authentication from the Secretary of Idaho State  and then the US Department of State in Washington DC. Is that correct?

Yes and Yes.

38 minutes ago, sudha said:

After the certification from the US DOS,  I also need to pass this on to the Thai embassy in the US for final verification and approval? Is this because Thailand is not part of the Hague convention?

Yes 

The Thai embassy step is just part of the procedure and it does not matter about the Hague convention.

38 minutes ago, sudha said:

I have been looking to see if there is a way to get option 1 fulfilled without having to go to the US. There seem to be some agencies who would do this and mail back the documents to my non-US address. I am thinking of giving this a try. For example, see link http://www.usauthentication.com/department-of-state-apostille.php

I still have about 45 days left in Japan, so if the service they are providing is legitimate I might as well start the process right now to get the documents in order.

Getting the process started before leaving Japan would help a lot.

They seem to a legit business and have apparently been in business for a while. They do have a BBB rating. See: https://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-eastern-pa/business-reviews/legal-document-help/us-authentication-services-in-springfield-va-235987497#bbbonlineclick

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure 2 will be enough to get the US department of state. Everything I have read it has to be certified at the state level as well.

The Consular Affairs Department of the MFA will only certify the translation of your marriage certificate. You have to satisfy the Amphoe where you register your foreign marriage.

Yes and Yes.

Yes 

The Thai embassy step is just part of the procedure and it does not matter about the Hague convention.

Getting the process started before leaving Japan would help a lot.

They seem to a legit business and have apparently been in business for a while. They do have a BBB rating. See: https://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-eastern-pa/business-reviews/legal-document-help/us-authentication-services-in-springfield-va-235987497#bbbonlineclick

Ubonjoe, thank you. I am contacting these folks to see how they can help. It seems they will do the entire process (all 3 steps including obtaining legalization from the Thai embassy) for us. See link:

http://www.usauthentication.com/us-authentication-services/document-authentication.php

Regarding the comment I made about the Hague convention, it does look like there is a difference in document requirements for Hague and non-Hague countries. Apostille vs Authentication procedure. With the case of Thailand, I will need to go through the Authentication process as shown below. The additional step of Thai embassy legalization is required when doing this. Perhaps, it doesn't matter anyway.

http://www.usauthentication.com/countries-us-authentication/

image.png.9e1d38bd833595d898f7f856aecdbdae.png

This is the link of Thai embassy in Washington, stating requirements for document legalization. They have stated clearly that Authentication from Secretary of State and Department of State will be required. That is good to know.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/legalization/