Drama as doctor disputes claim from clinic employee over expensive broken plate

webfact

Drama as doctor disputes claim from clinic employee over expensive broken plate

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A drama is being played out in the public eye after it was claimed that a doctor tried to get 35,000 from a poor worker who inadvertently smashed a commemorative plate at a clinic.

It was claimed that the young woman - named only as B - broke the plate and the doctor said she would have their wages cut by 5,000 baht a month until it was settled.

The employee was told that the Chinese plate was actually worth 70,000 baht and came from a bank.

Dr Anan said the claims were nonsense and he at first demanded 5,000 baht but intended to give it back to the woman until she said she was resigning.

He alleges that the person has been involved in petty theft and wasted the clinic's money by storing medicines that were meant to be refrigerated outside.

Meanwhile B has said she never stole anything, someone else was in charge of the meds and she is the victim in the drama.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-05

I used to believe that the Karma belief kept Thai people honest.  I've come to realise all humans lie and cheat to some degree. so, how to solve the issue?  step by step. let's visit the bank first and ask some questions Dr. Who style. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you feel that employees dat damage something by accident at their workplace should pay for it or that there should be some insurance at the workplace ?. I can't imagine my wages being deducted for breaking something or making a mistake.

unfortunately without worker protections that's how things work in Thailand. staff are docked pay for lateness,  days off, not wearing correct uniform, etc etc. and I can understand why.  Undisciplined habits. I feel sorry for the wee poor lassy, but she's stuck in a system. maybe when the poor and under privileged rise up against the power she can join in. The best thing to do is prove the worth of the dish and pay for a new one. Gangnam style.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you feel that employees dat damage something by accident at their workplace should pay for it or that there should be some insurance at the workplace ?. I can't imagine my wages being deducted for breaking something or making a mistake.

Depends on circumstances in any one case.

However, my comment was in general, not necessarily workplace breakages.

Although, most of my examples are when contractors break something and create more work and expense for me !!!

They will never pay for their f-u--ups

• Like 1

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

Depends on circumstances in any one case.

However, my comment was in general, not necessarily workplace breakages.

Although, most of my examples are when contractors break something and create more work and expense for me !!!

They will never pay for their f-u--ups

They should pay for it their responsibility but right that is hard to do. I was talking about this case and workplace breakage. Contractors should have insurance or pay it themselves.

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

unfortunately without worker protections that's how things work in Thailand. staff are docked pay for lateness,  days off, not wearing correct uniform, etc etc. and I can understand why.  Undisciplined habits. I feel sorry for the wee poor lassy, but she's stuck in a system. maybe when the poor and under privileged rise up against the power she can join in. The best thing to do is prove the worth of the dish and pay for a new one. Gangnam style.

I know this is the way it is and I don't like it. I can understand docked pay for lateness (but at times its like 50% of a salary). There are things I understand and agree with but not all. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Contractors should have insurance or pay it themselves.

Yeah right...

When I say contractors, I mean local "contractors"... As in builder, plumber, truck driver etc.. Basic tradies..

Insurance ??? Nope...

Pay for their mistakes ?? Nope

Just had a truck driver reverse over a drain cover, 1.5mx1.5m, and destroyed it..

That will now cost me 3-4k to have it repaired !!

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

Yeah right...

When I say contractors, I mean local "contractors"... As in builder, plumber, truck driver etc.. Basic tradies..

Insurance ??? Nope...

Just had a truck driver reverse over a drain cover, 1.5mx1.5m, and destroyed it..

You forgot the first part of what i posted where i said that it was hard to get them to pay. So I understand your frustration, seems Thais do seem to get other Thais to pay for that kind of stuff. Anyway I really understand your frustration, i got a home here that i let contractors work in. 

I always have to worry about how good the work will be done and if they break something or not. I wish i was more like my dad (gifted with his hands). 

Amazing the doctor brings up stealing to justify his actions. That is SO Thai. Defamation suit anyone? 

anyway the doctor was heard to say "your platelets are reducing" not "reduce the plates" all a terrible misunderstanding  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

I used to believe that the Karma belief kept Thai people honest.  I've come to realise all humans lie and cheat to some degree. so, how to solve the issue?  step by step. let's visit the bank first and ask some questions Dr. Who style. 

Karma is about the consequences of your actions, not the action itself. So if you are dishonest and don't get caught, then there is no bad karma, there can't be, because no-one knows who committed the crime.

• Haha 1

depends if it was an accident or due entirely to carelessness, big difference. If she did it purely by accident then she should not have to pay but if she did it because she didnt give a sh*t about what she was doing then she should pay. Accidents are just that but carelessness and not being concerned what happens are definitely the persons fault, problem is as stated above, getting them to admit it, even is you see them doing it they will deny it, face is too important

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Depends. If it's a genuine accident, then it is what it is and the employee shouldn't pay. If however it's through careless or negligent behavior, including not following procedures then the employee has some liability. 

18 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Depends. If it's a genuine accident, then it is what it is and the employee shouldn't pay. If however it's through careless or negligent behavior, including not following procedures then the employee has some liability. 

Agreed, still in the Netherlands most companies would have insurance to cover such events. But yes careless or negligent behavior are a different matter. But it als has to be in comparison to the salary of an employee. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Agreed, still in the Netherlands most companies would have insurance to cover such events. But yes careless or negligent behavior are a different matter. But it als has to be in comparison to the salary of an employee. 

...And add to it that in 'our' countries one is not supposed to have privately owned decoration or furniture in one's office, or, when it is authorised it is the full responsibility of the owner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NetJunkie said:

Karma is about the consequences of your actions, not the action itself. So if you are dishonest and don't get caught, then there is no bad karma, there can't be, because no-one knows who committed the crime.

Time for Jiminy Cricket to put in an appearance I reckon

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The employee was told that the Chinese plate was actually worth 70,000 baht and came from a bank.

Quite possibly a limited edition article - limited to 100 million hand-crafted pieces, and no two are alike because of strict Chinese quality control.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yeah right...

Insurance ??? Nope...

AH yes but Im sure he gave you that friendly smile..right after he'd said "no pompem  is strong" and then drove over it..because, they never listen to us, they know best.

I get this all the time when people come but I do everything i can to make them do it "my way"...dont worry after theyve worked here once theyll tell everyone they know "Falang Fussy"..anything but the truth or doing a decent job thats for sure

Edited by kannot