water testing

thairick

hi, we have inherited a pool with the house we bought. I have done a water test. chlorine "yellow" too yellow add baking soda,too clear chlorine.

ph. test too red add acid, too clear add ?? I havn,t owned a pool before,so am asking for help.

thanks rick.

Is the pool salt chlorinated or hand dosed chemicals?

For a start don't use baking soda (sodium bi-carbonate) for reduction of chlorine!! 

Baking soda is for Total Alkalinity. (80 - 120 ppm) best range.

Best to leave the chlorine to reduce by itself over a few days unless you want to swim straight away. In that case dump some water via waste setting on the filter. Not to much!!

Ph is best controlled by (Down) Hydrochloric acid (Up) Soda ash.

Where are you based?

6 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Is the pool salt chlorinated or hand dosed chemicals?

For a start don't use baking soda (sodium bi-carbonate) for reduction of chlorine!! 

Baking soda is for Total Alkalinity. (80 - 120 ppm) best range.

Best to leave the chlorine to reduce by itself over a few days unless you want to swim straight away. In that case dump some water via waste setting on the filter. Not to much!!

Ph is best controlled by (Down) Hydrochloric acid (Up) Soda ash.

Where are you based?

thanks for that,as I have said I,ve had no experience with pools. hand dosed,we live in mae rim.

regards rick.

Ideal pH is between 7 and 8 for maximum chlorine efficiency. Lower, and the chlorine decomposes too quickly. Higher, and the chlorine is neutralised. Completely ineffective over pH 9 in terms of disinfection.

There is Total Available Chlorine ( TAC ) and Free Available Chlorine ( FAC ). FAC is the important one, you want a concentration of 0.5 - 1.0 mg/L ( ppm ) for best results. As previous posters have said, let your pool circulate for a few days to get the chlorine level down. Start by getting the pH right with soda ash addition. If you are already too high, continue circulation. The pH will come down as the water absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

There are a few good pool companies in your area one particular one springs to mind Golden pools and sauna.http://www.goldenpoolandsauna.com/contact-us.php.

Very knowledgeable . I haven't used  them as I don't have a pool of my own, we do have a nice 25m pool in our village though.

have a good read of the book.

Shall be out of town for 5 days if you are still having problems or would like a bit of help PM me in 6 days to arrange a time when I can pop over in the mean time get some good test strips as well.

I am not in business , am retired and have a vast experience of pools  mainly in the commercial sector.Here to help if needed.

Archived